We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

U23 - Stat tomes not adjusted with stat overhaul; feel like my purchase was rendered worthless overnight

I already complained pre-U23 about the fact that the stat tomes being sold have been rendered nearly worthless with the Mordor expansion. But it seems they haven't been touched at all with U23 either.

So how is it okay to sell people stats for real money, then overhaul the stat system altogether except for those stats that people paid for? At this pace, I'm scared to buy anything from the store that isn't purely cosmetic as it seems Turbine/SSG can simply change its effect/power without any concern for the customers that spent money on it. I recently also bought the mount speed boost (all mounts 78%), what's next? All basic mounts having a 300% speed boost?

And while you're at it, please also have a look at stat legacies? A little over 200 vitality at level 200 is laughable when any decent piece of armor gives you nearly 2000 vitality. Same goes for virtues, another thing you are selling for real money.

Quote Originally Posted by Magentix View Post
    I already complained pre-U23 about the fact that the stat tomes being sold have been rendered nearly worthless with the Mordor expansion. But it seems they haven't been touched at all with U23 either.

So how is it okay to sell people stats for real money, then overhaul the stat system altogether except for those stats that people paid for? At this pace, I'm scared to buy anything from the store that isn't purely cosmetic as it seems Turbine/SSG can simply change its effect/power without any concern for the customers that spent money on it. I recently also bought the mount speed boost (all mounts 78%), what's next? All basic mounts having a 300% speed boost?

And while you're at it, please also have a look at stat legacies? A little over 200 vitality at level 200 is laughable when any decent piece of armor gives you nearly 2000 vitality. Same goes for virtues, another thing you are selling for real money.
    On top of that, you have people that purchased a 1-5 Fate set which is now basically a non-contributer. A serious scaling should be looked at otherwise those purchases were literally thrown in the dumpster which is already on fire.
    ~ Anaxander R9 Warden, Karukh R11 Warg ~ Elendilmir
    **Mac User**

I concur about stat tome/virtue bonuses needing revisiting.

If I am not mistaken a full set of tomes will net you something along the lines of 540 total bonus - 18 tomes, at 295 a pop, comes to 5310 LP, just under the $60 mark if purchasing LP.

540 points isn't even a blip on my Hunter's current agility of 24k.

Stat tomes are also considered (or were) a premium lootbox drop, which are now gated behind keys in the store, at 195 a pop.

Determination, the best agility virtue, tops out a 368, another premium item in the store (and now a lootbox drop), though can easily be earned in game with enough...determination

Still 540+368 is still less than 1k total bonus (tolerance at 244, and mercy for 123) lesee now: 1275 total possible bonus from stat tomes and virtues.

One, count it - 1 - EB jewelry ring has a bonus of 1889...

+1

Need to rework the values of all existing stat tomes to make them relevant considering many of us have paid real money for these.
    Knight | Captain | Arkenstone | Rainbows & Unicorns

Or just add two additonal ranks with 2k per tome each. Will add you money and the former bought aren't wasted.

They are on sale right now. I sincerely hope no-one makes the same mistake I did by impulsively buying them during a sale. If no-one wants them, SSG might get the message how worthless they have become. Spending thousands of LP on something that doesn't even scratch the surface of a max level character's stats tends to leave a really bad taste.

If they were anxious that they would be to powerful at low ranks. Just lock them behind levels every ten levels 2 tomes per stat. So 10-20 rank 1+2,20-30 3+4....and 100+ 19+20 if they add them.
    Hopefully with a great Boot that the former ranks aren't a waste.

I've been wondering the same thing. I have one character with a vitality II book, but I haven't seent he vitality I drop and was thinking of purchasing it from the store.
    Guess I won't be doing that after all.

Have they fixed the stat-tomes yet? shouldnt be like 10x higher now? because of the nerf

I would also like to see these buffed.
    Varkking - Dwarf Rune-Keeper - Devout of the Lidless Eye - Anor Server
    Moderator of Lord of the Rings On Prime Subreddit.

Best way to do this would be to make the stat tomes confer a % bonus, rather than a flat bonus. Then if there are any future stat changes the stat times wouldn’t need to be updated again.
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Best way to do this would be to make the stat tomes confer a % bonus, rather than a flat bonus. Then if there are any future stat changes the stat times wouldn’t need to be updated again.
    This would make sense. Right now Stat Tomes seem like something decent at level 50 and then you quickly realize how small the bonuses are only after investing tons of gold on them on the AH or worse, real life money.

Lightbulb

I'm kinda torn about this. On one hand I understand those that have bought Tomes 8especially for rela money) and feel they bought something that is now worthless.

On the other hand I'm glad that we are moving away from item are store only items (the higher tier tomes) and they have no big effect. Not to mention that since the old chest keys that dropped in-game were removed it is really hard to even get them from acctual gameplay. When they did have a bigger impact, it felt like You were forced to pay to keep up. I am not a fan of paying for stat related items that boost a character permanently at end-game. It ends up with groups "demanding" that You have those boosted stats or You won't get a spot. Kind of a "pay-to-win" situation, even if You really can not "win" in an MMO.

So I can see two sides to this. I'm not certain which side I'm on, as I understand both arguments and they both have merit. Stat tomes should never have been added in the store in the first place and we would not have this issue.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Feb 20 2019 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Funk View Post
    I'm kinda torn about this. On one hand I understand those that have bought Tomes 8especially for rela money) and feel they bought something that is now worthless.
    Not completely worthless, but it is pretty insignificant. After level 50 its a small boost to your stat every 5 levels.

On the other hand I'm glad that we are moving away from item are store only items (the higher tier tomes) and they have no big effect.
    You can't say we are moving away from them when they are still and will continue to be sold on the store.

Not top mention that since the old chest keys that dropped in-game were removed it is really hard to even get them from acctual gameplay. When they did have a bigger impact, it felt like You were forced to pay to keep up. I am not a fan of paying for stat related items that boost a character permanently at end-game. It ends up with groups "demanding" that You have those boosted stats or You won't get a spot. Kind of a "pay-to-win" situation, even if You really can not "win" in an MMO.
    Show me the Kin/Group that has demanded the people they are rolling with to have stat tomes on their character. There are kins that require a certain set of stats like tactical damage, crit, outgoing healing or mitigation in some capacity. Tomes impact this to a very very small extent. Tomes made the most difference from levels 1 to 15. After that their importance drastically falls off.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Stat_Enhancements

By 15 you could have +240 to a stat you like. By 50 it becomes +280. Every 5 levels after 50 you can get an additional 40 to that stat until around level 85 when it stops at +560 in total stat boost. 560 Will translates to 4480 Tactical Mastery for a Rune-Keeper. You need 303,750 Tactical Mastery to reach the 200% Stat Cap for it. 0.0147% of the total needed for tactical mastery cap. 1295 LotRO Points for Books 1-5 and then 295 per tome after that for a total of 13 additional tomes. 13 tomes at 295 per tome is 3835. 3835 and 1295 together is 5130 LOTRO Points. That would need you to buy the $59.99 LOTRO Points boost for 6300 points for less than a 1% boost. As a Rune-Keeper I would boost Vitality, Will and Fate via tomes it would cost me $180 or so dollars to do such through the store. Each class would make use of three different stat tomes so the story is the same. No Kin would require their peers to have spent $180 on stat tomes alone to have three stats boosted at max level for less than 1% gains on each one. I could understand if it were 15-20% boosts but they aren't. You could increase them to be 5% boosts or 10% boosts and make them feel strong as the game progresses without making them over the top. As of right now anything after that level 55 or 60 barrier just doesn't make sense for anyone who purchased them.

So I can see two sides to this. I'm not certain which side I'm on, as I understand both arguments and they both have merit. Stat tomes should never have been added in the store in the first place and we would not have this issue.
    I agree. Stat tomes should not have been introduced. But they were. You can't remove them from the store now as it does give a permanent boost to those who did buy them so you can't take away the access to them for others. They could lower the price and refund those the difference who bought them at the higher rate or they could boost the stats to make them worth it considering they were real money purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Yeah, and if they require the previous tomes to get the new %-based one, they can sort of catch up. I'd also like to see these as very rare drops for tier 2/tier 3 instances, and agree with the point y Lord.Funk that's it's somewhat hard to vote for this - part of me is glad the old ones aren't a deal breaker, but I do think one chance to get a percent-based upgrade for those who spend the money/points is a good way to "close the book" (knowing of course that they can always up the percent to generate more revenue and add more drops).

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Varkking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Funk View Post
    On the other hand I'm glad that we are moving away from item are store only items (the higher tier tomes) and they have no big effect.
    You can't say we are moving away from them when they are still and will continue to be sold on the store.
    I should have use the word "as" instead of "and" and possibly added "anymore" at the end. This would read like "On the other hand I'm glad that we are moving away from item that are store only items (the higher tier tomes) AS they have no big effect ANYMORE.

So that was what I meant with moving away from them. Not that they have been removed from the store but that the small impact they make make them purely optional and not feel as forced or necessary anymore. Which to me is a good thing. With store only I meant the ones that don't drop at all in game The higher tiers that have always only been available from store. Now with the old lootboxes, or rather their keys that used to drop, removed from in-game it has even more become so that stat tomes is a store only item, even if some still drop in-game. They drop at such a low chance that You could never ever dream build up to max with simply getting the right drops for Your character class. It would mean that boosting them again would basically "force" everyone to buy them to keep up with the stats they would add. Not a good thing.

All that being said, I still also get the argument from those that did buy them when they did have a great impact and that they now feel kind of cheated. As usual adding stat altering items that affect gameplay in a store often, if not always, ends up with a mess and situations like this down the road. It's why such things should never have been added in the store, but yes unfortionetly they were.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Feb 20 2019 at 08:41 PM.

At end game everyone kind of expects everyone to be in certain armor sets or have certain perks on your legendary items. If the stat tomes actually made a difference again it would allow players to equip a more diverse set of equipment because you wouldn't be pidgeonholed into having to wear this, this, and this to get to the required morale, tactical damage or resistance for a raid. I say go ahead and add stat tomes to the store for any stat that caps since they mentioned the curve of stats will be the same going forward. If you could purchase 5% crit via tomes on the store you could focus on other stats or gear since base crit chance caps at 25% anyway. I mean you could still wear all the best guy and have all the best stat tomes at level cap but base crit chance is still going to cap at 25%, outgoing healing at 70%, tactical damage at 200% and so on. It would also lessen situations on places like the legendary servers where the best in slot pocket item after Moria goes live is still going to be Lash Fragment from Rift at 50. People will keep going back there in smaller groups to try and farm it twice a week on resets because they want as much mitigations as possible. If you could purchase 5 stat tomes to give you a total of 5% mitigations maybe you wouldn't have to farm lower tier content for the next four months for the best in slot. You can still get capped mitigations and wear the armor of your choice now.

Quote Originally Posted by Varkking View Post
    At end game everyone kind of expects everyone to be in certain armor sets or have certain perks on your legendary items. If the stat tomes actually made a difference again it would allow players to equip a more diverse set of equipment because you wouldn't be pidgeonholed into having to wear this, this, and this to get to the required morale, tactical damage or resistance for a raid. I say go ahead and add stat tomes to the store for any stat that caps since they mentioned the curve of stats will be the same going forward. If you could purchase 5% crit via tomes on the store you could focus on other stats or gear since base crit chance caps at 25% anyway. I mean you could still wear all the best guy and have all the best stat tomes at level cap but base crit chance is still going to cap at 25%, outgoing healing at 70%, tactical damage at 200% and so on. It would also lessen situations on places like the legendary servers where the best in slot pocket item after Moria goes live is still going to be Lash Fragment from Rift at 50. People will keep going back there in smaller groups to try and farm it twice a week on resets because they want as much mitigations as possible. If you could purchase 5 stat tomes to give you a total of 5% mitigations maybe you wouldn't have to farm lower tier content for the next four months for the best in slot. You can still get capped mitigations and wear the armor of your choice now.
    Direct percentage bonuses allways get additive on the cap.
    What they could do is make them to x% of vita... value.
    Best would be 1% for the first 14 ranks and 1.5% for the last four (in total 20%).
    In numbers 10k vita would be 2k from the tomes. If the vita raises exponetial through statgrowing again to someday 100k vita we would get 20k.
    And it would be allways the same win during leveling.
    And nobody would be punished cause He has to good gear that the numbers they give get ignorable.
    Same for other buffs cause 10k crit add more percentage crit to classes with les crit as to nearly capped. This is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukor View Post
    Direct percentage bonuses allways get additive on the cap.
    What they could do is make them to x% of vita... value.
    Best would be 1% for the first 14 ranks and 1.5% for the last four (in total 20%).
    In numbers 10k vita would be 2k from the tomes. If the vita raises exponetial through statgrowing again to someday 100k vita we would get 20k.
    And it would be allways the same win during leveling.
    And nobody would be punished cause He has to good gear that the numbers they give get ignorable.
    Same for other buffs cause 10k crit add more percentage crit to classes with les crit as to nearly capped. This is bad.
    You and I are on agreement!