We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sarasota, FL, USA
    Posts
    3,405

    Can we get a response from SSG re: PatchClientDLL: CheckDatFiles Failed

    Like many others I keep getting the following error when trying to update to U23:
    PatchClientDLL: CheckDatFiles Failed. [Unable to decrypt and de-serialize the data downloaded from the server]

    It appears to be having trouble with the following files:
    client_highres.dat
    client_highres_aux_1.datx

    I have tried deleting/renaming the files.
    I have tried the launcher's Repair option.
    I have restarted the client.
    I have restarted my computer.
    I have turned off the Firewall.
    I have checked read/write permissions.

    I'm running a Win10 Pro 64-bit system. I uninstalled the Akamai software a few days prior to the update.
    Last edited by auximenes; Oct 10 2018 at 11:22 AM.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir


  2. #2
    Typically, what fixes this problem (and has helped me in the past) is checking the last modified date of all .dat files, and then ONLY deleting the one with the last modified date.... or more accurately, the last modified TIME, because they are likely all modified on patch day.

    It will need to re-download that particular .dat file, but it should bring you back into the fold. Additionally, in some cases you will need to run the patcher as Administrator if the game is installed somewhere in C:\Program Files (x86)\ , as Windows somewhat protects that folder from being modified. I typically install Lotro (and other games) in C:\Games\ instead for that reason.

    Lastly, although this doesn't help you NOW.... once your game is working again, make a full backup of the game folder. If something fails, delete the current game folder, copy the one from backup, and start the patch once more.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,923
    One thing to try is to copy over the files from the LOTRO game install Backup folder into the main folder, and re-update the game client.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Google+ - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    One thing to try is to copy over the files from the LOTRO game install Backup folder into the main folder, and re-update the game client.
    Could we maybe get some real, actual technical support from SSG here in the Windows PC Technical Support forum please? Or is that just too much to ask for and SSG really does not care that players are unable to complete the patch due to an error which means they cannot play the game? Does SSG understand that if players can't play the game they sure as heck are not going to be paying SSG for anything?

    There is a longer thread about this problem: An update Error occured that has not yet received any response from anyone at SSG so it would be rather nice to actually get some assistance in resolving this problem!
    Playing LotRO since 16th April 2007!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sarasota, FL, USA
    Posts
    3,405
    Update:

    Looks like I'm finally in. Here's the chain of events:

    Last night (well, early AM) I opened the launcher up on another older computer that doesn't normally use the high-res textures, selected the 'use high-res textures' flag in the launcher, downloaded the two files. and copied them to a flash drive. Then I came back to the primary computer, chose repair in the launcher, copied the two files into the folder, and let the game download the other files fresh. It was in progress when I left for work this morning (slow wireless network on this computer). Upon returning tonight it appears that the repair process completed and the automatic restart of the client triggered the 'will you allow this program to make changes' Windows UI. After selecting 'yes' the launcher opened and was now showing the proper new graphic on the left side of the UI showing of the U23 art whereas previously it was only showing the previous graphic. The launcher then updated a handful of files after which I was able to log in successfully.

    So, I don't know exactly what all happened during the repair process so it's entirely possible my copied files were not the solution but it appears to have worked.

    SSG, can you explain what was going on which was causing the problem in the first place? So many players were experiencing this issue, and it appears to have afflicted others as far back as 2016 according to a brief search of these forums. Also, why did I need to update more files after the repair? Shouldn't the latest file versions have been downloaded as part of the repair process?
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by auximenes View Post
    Update:

    Looks like I'm finally in. Here's the chain of events:

    Last night (well, early AM) I opened the launcher up on another older computer that doesn't normally use the high-res textures, selected the 'use high-res textures' flag in the launcher, downloaded the two files. and copied them to a flash drive. Then I came back to the primary computer, chose repair in the launcher, copied the two files into the folder, and let the game download the other files fresh. It was in progress when I left for work this morning (slow wireless network on this computer). Upon returning tonight it appears that the repair process completed and the automatic restart of the client triggered the 'will you allow this program to make changes' Windows UI. After selecting 'yes' the launcher opened and was now showing the proper new graphic on the left side of the UI showing of the U23 art whereas previously it was only showing the previous graphic. The launcher then updated a handful of files after which I was able to log in successfully.

    So, I don't know exactly what all happened during the repair process so it's entirely possible my copied files were not the solution but it appears to have worked.

    SSG, can you explain what was going on which was causing the problem in the first place? So many players were experiencing this issue, and it appears to have afflicted others as far back as 2016 according to a brief search of these forums. Also, why did I need to update more files after the repair? Shouldn't the latest file versions have been downloaded as part of the repair process?
    Glad to hear you were able to resolve this problem for yourself. Unfortunately myself and others still haven't resolved this and SSG is just silent! So there are players still experiencing this issue and I've found search results going back to 2012 using "lord of the rings online update error occurred" as the search phrase. I can't verify any of the results linking to these forums though because every single one just ends with a "The page isn't redirecting properly" error. But we're now on day three of being unable to play because of this error, which is also three days of silence from SSG!
    Playing LotRO since 16th April 2007!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    20
    I've had this issue for the past couple days myself, it's taken a while to resolve it as it takes quite a while to download the files on my lowly 3 Mbit connection. I've resolved the issue today and thought I'd share my experience with it:

    On Tuesday, I downloaded U23, but I did need to pause the download for several minutes at one point to perform other tasks on my PC. Once the update finished downloading, I encountered the error message and began looking for solutions online. I then tried using the "Repair" option in the most recent installer from the lotro.com website, as well as copying all the files from the Backup folder into the main install folder, with no luck. I then found a different post that suggested to delete client_highres_aux_1.datx then run the launcher as an Administrator. I did this, and once again, no luck. I then happened upon this thread and decided to try deleting both client_highres_aux_1.datx and client_highres.dat, then run the launcher and re-download both files. This seems to have solved the issue.

    It seems it may be possible that pausing during the original update may have somehow corrupted both my client_highres.dat and client_highres_aux_1.datx, at least that's what my experience seems to point to.
    Ethrimund Meldirfuin, Embracing the Dark
    Exalted Kingdom

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,423
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyUK View Post
    I can't verify any of the results linking to these forums though because every single one just ends with a "The page isn't redirecting properly" error.
    That tends to happen when older threads are visited through google search results. It can be worked around by truncating whatever result google is giving you so that the actual url ends at just the thread number like so. . .

    Code:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?xxxxxxx
    . . . where xxxxxxx is the thread number visible in the search result.

    So, for example, a google result pointing to this (that errors):

    Code:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?662217-Solution-to-Virtues-Grind&
    Can be truncated to this (working) link. . . though it will take you to post #1 of the thread:

    Code:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?662217
    --H
    Installing LotRO -- One Guide to Rule Them All!
    Purchasing LotRO -- Guide to Building Your Own "Lifetime" Account.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyCuyler24 View Post
    I've had this issue for the past couple days myself, it's taken a while to resolve it as it takes quite a while to download the files on my lowly 3 Mbit connection. I've resolved the issue today and thought I'd share my experience with it:

    On Tuesday, I downloaded U23, but I did need to pause the download for several minutes at one point to perform other tasks on my PC. Once the update finished downloading, I encountered the error message and began looking for solutions online. I then tried using the "Repair" option in the most recent installer from the lotro.com website, as well as copying all the files from the Backup folder into the main install folder, with no luck. I then found a different post that suggested to delete client_highres_aux_1.datx then run the launcher as an Administrator. I did this, and once again, no luck. I then happened upon this thread and decided to try deleting both client_highres_aux_1.datx and client_highres.dat, then run the launcher and re-download both files. This seems to have solved the issue.

    It seems it may be possible that pausing during the original update may have somehow corrupted both my client_highres.dat and client_highres_aux_1.datx, at least that's what my experience seems to point to.
    I tried deleting both client_highres.dat and client_highres_aux_1.datx last night, ran the lotrolauncher as Administrator to ensure that wasn't a problem and left it running overnight while i got some sleep. Got up today to find that Microsoft decided last night was the ideal time to update Windows 10 and had restarted my system so it was just sitting at the Welcome screen waiting for me to log on. *sigh* Once Windows had finished loading there was another update from Microsoft so I had to let that complete and then restart again. After that I ensured everything else was fully updated to try and ensure there were no more interruptions and once again ran the lotrolauncher, once it loaded the download was sitting at 50% so I just let it resume but when it finished the same problem was back. Guess I have to try deleting both client_highres.dat and client_highres_aux_1.datx once again and hope the launcher is allowed to complete the download without further interruptions.
    Playing LotRO since 16th April 2007!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    That tends to happen when older threads are visited through google search results. It can be worked around by truncating whatever result google is giving you so that the actual url ends at just the thread number like so. . .

    Code:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?xxxxxxx
    . . . where xxxxxxx is the thread number visible in the search result.

    So, for example, a google result pointing to this (that errors):

    Code:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?662217-Solution-to-Virtues-Grind&
    Can be truncated to this (working) link. . . though it will take you to post #1 of the thread:

    Code:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?662217
    --H
    Thank you for that explanation.
    Playing LotRO since 16th April 2007!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sarasota, FL, USA
    Posts
    3,405
    For those still having trouble with the high-res files, here's something you can try:

    - back up your .dat and .datx files
    - open the launcher
    - click the down arrow icon on the top right, select options
    - click the general tab
    - uncheck 'use high resolution game data'
    - click the repair tab
    - click repair to wipe out your existing .dat and .datx files
    - close the launcher
    - copy over your backed-up .dat and .datx files, excluding the two high-res problem files
    - open the launcher

    I think this will eliminate the launcher trying to acquire and interact with the problem files which presumably should let you finish patching and get into the game albeit without the best textures.

    BTW, for those having this problem, are you still seeing the old launcher graphic on the left side or are you seeing the new U23 graphic?
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir


  12. #12
    My main install failed. Copied backup made 6/8/2018 to a folder out side of the programs folder. Ran the invoker as admin with AV disabled and it still failed. So I'm thinking that at least one update server is passing out a corrupted patch.

    These are the md5 hashes of my current failed patch. Some kind soul with a hi-res working install please compare these with yours.

    00F89BCBFEC4AC68C540426492566A 78 client_highres_aux_1.datx

    07ADBF737747FAD05F644DAC03D6BB AB client_highres.dat
    Second Technician Arnold J. Rimmer BSC SSC

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    10

    Just to confirm

    People wrote about a lot of solutions for this problem.

    1st. This problem does not come about because SSG did anything.
    2nd. There is no way to locate which file the error is in.

    I have lotro on several PCes and use several logins into same PC. Out of total 4 unique users I had to fix 2.

    The problem seems to come about when there is any kind of error during download of these big patches.
    -It can be in any of the files that were downloaded.

    More over, if your connection is not very good files can be corrupted again during the download process.
    Also if you keep deleting wrong file and redownloading that same file, it will not fix anything.

    I was able to get a good download on one machine and share all updated files to the other machine to paste over, all the ones that could possibly have had an error in them.

    As was described in the post above, go through the list of the files that were updated by date and time and you will know how many you need to work with. I replaced 24 files that ran at about 25 gig, which is nearly whole game.
    But it worked.
    Cheers
    Burglar's life?
    That's an easy one!
    -If any one knows about it but you - you are not hiding enough -
    https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/User:Areyekuwe

  14. #14
    Returning player. I hope. Having this issue and so far none of the files i have reacquired have been the issue. If i cannot figure this out soon, i may not be a returning player.... this is truly disheartening

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    One thing to try is to copy over the files from the LOTRO game install Backup folder into the main folder, and re-update the game client.

    none of the current fixes are working for this problem.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload