We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Pop Up ERROR Message

When killing npc's -especially hunter- I get pop up error message saying something to the effect: "THE SPECIFIED FILE NAME WAS TOO LONG. (MAXIMUM LENGTH=64 CHARACTERS)". When it pops up it kills all function and ability to use next cued action. Is this a known error with solution? Can you help me fix it? Thank you in advance. I did send in bug report also.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocopanda View Post
    When killing npc's -especially hunter- I get pop up error message saying something to the effect: "THE SPECIFIED FILE NAME WAS TOO LONG. (MAXIMUM LENGTH=64 CHARACTERS)". When it pops up it kills all function and ability to use next cued action. Is this a known error with solution? Can you help me fix it? Thank you in advance. I did send in bug report also.

This sounds like a OS error rather than the game. Where is your LOTRO folder and what OS?

Worth checking for OS updates, I seem to recall this being caused by a bad update, that was fixed later with a fresh version of the the update (WinXP)

Using any LotRO plug-ins?

--H
    Installing LotRO -- One Guide to Rule Them All!
    Purchasing LotRO -- Guide to Building Your Own "Lifetime" Account.

Windows 10 OS and I believe it's in my "Documents" folder. Interesting thing about the plugins is my Pvmp+ one is not loading correctly either. Buffbars and comabat analysis does load. I will see if I can update windows.

Windows 10 OS and I believe it's in my "Documents" folder. Interesting thing about the plugins is my Pvmp+ one is not loading correctly either. Buffbars and comabat analysis does load. I will see if I can update windows.
    Well, troubleshooting step #1 would be to disable all plug-ins and see if the problem persists.

Step #2 would then be to add them back one-by-one until the problem returns.

--H

P.S. You have a "The Lord of the Rings Online" folder in your Documents folder. But those should just be settings, screenshots, etc. The actual game client should be in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Standing Stone Games\The Lord of the Rings Online
    or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Turbine\The Lord of the Rings Online
    Installing LotRO -- One Guide to Rule Them All!
    Purchasing LotRO -- Guide to Building Your Own "Lifetime" Account.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    Well, troubleshooting step #1 would be to disable all plug-ins and see if the problem persists.

Step #2 would then be to add them back one-by-one until the problem returns.

--H

P.S. You have a "The Lord of the Rings Online" folder in your Documents folder. But those should just be settings, screenshots, etc. The actual game client should be in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Standing Stone Games\The Lord of the Rings Online
    or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Turbine\The Lord of the Rings Online

Just been double checking, I cannot see anything listed for Win10 with that bug; do as Hurin suggests, in case a plugin has gone bad.

Then, if that doesnt work, try this.

"

• Hit the Windows key, type gpedit.msc and press Enter.
    • Navigate to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Filesystem > NTFS.
    • Double click the Enable NTFS long paths option and enable it."

Longer explanation here

https://betanews.com/2016/05/29/long-paths-windows-10/

Based on your error, this shouldnt be needed however there is always the chance something has corrupted the registry entry.

There was an update for windows, but I suspect that it's not the problem. The pop up message has a Lotro frame around it and script writing, so I'm pretty sure it's within the game. I deleted the pvmp+ plugin that wasn't loading correctly and will try a couple of days of testing. I will post findings. Thanks for looking at this for me.

Deleted the pvmp+ plugin and ran CoS. It was going well, but I had about 7 pop ups during the run. Will try turning off the other two and add one by one.

Turned off Combat analysis and buffbars for runs on hunter and that worked! Weirdly enough I had them turned on with cappy and guard and they both were fine! Can it be that ONLY the hunter is being effected? Now I will turn one on at a time and hopefully isolate the problem plugin. Has anyone heard of this happening? Thanks again for responses.