We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Questions about Rangers

Going through old zones on a new character (and always being interested in the stories of the NPCs we encounter - particularly the Dunedain) has left me with a couple of questions about these enigmatic individuals:

1) How many years ago did Golodir and his band head north to Angmar? In the game it is described as 'many years' ago, but I'm curious as to how long ago it actually was! My guess is between 5 and 10 (Golodir presumably already had a grown-up daughter, and I wouldn't put Lorniel as any older than 30 when we meet her), but I'd appreciate help placing this event in the timeline (or at least, where it fits in SSG canon!)

2) Prestadir, Idhrenfair and Himienor (sp?) are three Rangers that have somehow ended up in Mirkwood. It says that they were helping the Golden Host - but how did they get to that side of the Misty Mountains in the first place? Were they helping Aragorn with the hunt for Gollum? And how did they get back to join the Grey Company?

Just a few thoughts I'd been pondering and would love it if anyone at SSG had an answer!
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

Anyone got an idea? I'm particularly interested in the first question, and how long ago Golodir's merry band made their way through Rammas Deluon.
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -

Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian-Hammerfist View Post
    Anyone got an idea? I'm particularly interested in the first question, and how long ago Golodir's merry band made their way through Rammas Deluon.
    this is a story completely made out by turbine
    as most of the storys in Eriador
    no one can answer but only turbine which they have not the game now
    now about the rangers in mirkwood, i cant remember any reference in the books
    in the game we traveled a lot to summon them in rivendale so they can start their journey to Aragon
    i suppose many other heralds were send cos the rantzers were not only 6-7 we summoned
    if you RP make up your own story,(as i do), i m pretty sure it will be better!!!
    20 years lotr enthousiast, 11 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Quote Originally Posted by Valakircka View Post
    this is a story completely made out by turbine
    no one can answer but only turbine which they have not the game now
    Like soylent green, companies are made of people!

1) How many years ago did Golodir and his band head north to Angmar? In the game it is described as 'many years' ago
    This won't be an especially satisfying answer if you're looking for one written in stone, because it changed over the course of development; I remember it originally happening *thirty years ago*, but in order to make Lorniel's age work out and to make Corunir's stubborn resolve of keeping watch feel more like loyalty and less like silliness, we kept revising the duration downwards. I think five or six years feels about right.

2) Prestadir, Idhrenfair and Himienor (sp?) are three Rangers that have somehow ended up in Mirkwood. It says that they were helping the Golden Host - but how did they get to that side of the Misty Mountains in the first place?
    Much as Aragorn took the lands of Eriador for his watch, I saw these three as keeping an eye on Mirkwood, and having a close-enough relationship with the Elves to merit their participation with the Golden Host. As for crossing the Misties, they'd take the same roads anyone else not named The Fellowship would take: the various passes over, and not the dark road under.

MoL

If we consider that the expedition was forbidden by Aragorn, it is definitely less than seventy years ago. If I remember correctly, some of the inhabitants of Angmar said, that the statues of the Rammas Deluon had been dormant for a long time, and that the Rammas Deluon had been re-activated 'recently'. This information leads me to the conclusion that the party had tried to investigate the area beyond, because they feared that something is going on in the east, which could well affect all of Eriador.

At which time did the false king return to Angmar?

Greetings, Polymachos
    Treufried, human Level 115 Lore Master, formerly from Maiar (DE), now on Belegaer
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Alexophor, human Level 115 Hunter, formerly a Nimrod, now on Landroval
    Awkward Animal Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval)

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfLions View Post

This won't be an especially satisfying answer if you're looking for one written in stone, because it changed over the course of development; I remember it originally happening *thirty years ago*, but in order to make Lorniel's age work out and to make Corunir's stubborn resolve of keeping watch feel more like loyalty and less like silliness, we kept revising the duration downwards. I think five or six years feels about right.

Much as Aragorn took the lands of Eriador for his watch, I saw these three as keeping an eye on Mirkwood, and having a close-enough relationship with the Elves to merit their participation with the Golden Host. As for crossing the Misties, they'd take the same roads anyone else not named The Fellowship would take: the various passes over, and not the dark road under.

MoL
    Wonderful, thanks MoL! (Hopefully we'll see one of those mountain passes in U24 when we finally get the Beorning lands

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfLions View Post

MoL
    if i recall we have Pestandir in the path of the dead instance in enedwaith
    when one of the rangers, i dont remember who right now,
    is trying to convince the king of the dead that he is the heir of isildur
    20 years lotr enthousiast, 11 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

The one who presented the Bebarahir (copy of Barahir), was Candaith, the guy from the Weathertop. He is also the guy, whose statue is standing in the houses of those who completed the third book.

I still wonder why he did that. The ghost chief looked right through this attempt to deceive him, which was to be expected.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Treufried, human Level 115 Lore Master, formerly from Maiar (DE), now on Belegaer
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Alexophor, human Level 115 Hunter, formerly a Nimrod, now on Landroval
    Awkward Animal Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval)

Quote Originally Posted by Polymachos View Post
    The one who presented the Bebarahir (copy of Barahir), was Candaith, the guy from the Weathertop. He is also the guy, whose statue is standing in the houses of those who completed the third book.

I still wonder why he did that. The ghost chief looked right through this attempt to deceive him, which was to be expected.
    The dev team's worry that they weren't killing off the Grey Company fast enough to trim them down to the requisite 37 by the time they caught up with Aragorn?
    Immigrant from the City of Paragon. We are heroes. This is what we do.

Founding member of Mornost Gwend of Gladden. "We shout a lot!"

As I recall, Candaith lied as a means of obscuring Aragorn's existence/location. He's dealing with a servant of the Enemy and what he says and does is going to get back to Sauron, eventually. But if you've got multiple Dunedain in multiple locations, each claiming to be the Heir, it makes it hard for Sauron to find the real Heir. The copy of the Ring of Barahir is just more obfuscation at that point.

MadeOfLions:
    Well that is a disquieting note! Companies are MadeOfPeople. But you are a People and you're MadeOfLions. So... Did the Lions eat the People? Or did the People eat the Lions? Or did you eat both and call it a day?
    Last edited by AccessDenied; Oct 03 2018 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polymachos View Post

Greetings, Polymachos
    right!!!

soylent green

Quote Originally Posted by AccessDenied View Post

Well that is a disquieting note! Companies are MadeOfPeople. But you are a People and you're MadeOfLions. So... Did the Lions eat the People? Or did the People eat the Lions? Or did you eat both and call it a day?
    i m not english talker n i m not familiar with the phrase
    it was from an old movie of 1966
    dictionary: An undesirable, lackluster, and artificial foodstuff, as a substitute for real meat.

what does he really mean?
    is he samehow refering to the movie or something else?
    well this is getting out of topic...........i dont really care..........

Quote Originally Posted by Valakircka View Post
    soylent green

i m not english talker n i m not familiar with the phrase
    it was from an old movie of 1966
    dictionary: An undesirable, lackluster, and artificial foodstuff, as a substitute for real meat.

what does he really mean?
    is he samehow refering to the movie or something else?
    well this is getting out of topic...........i dont really care..........
    *Spoilers for a 50+ year old movie*

In the movie Soylent Green, the miracle foodstuff of the same name as the movie turns out to be made from people.
    Originally Posted by Damian6988
    That is not unlike drinking a pot of coffee and taking a Valium.
    "I want to stay up and get more work done, but I don't want to remember any of it."