We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Questions about Fiddle

Hey, all. I've returned to the game just recently and am excited about the changes to the music system. Unfortunately I only have access to the bard purchased ones right now. (Grrrr.) But I was wondering what equivalent instrument you assign to a potential fiddle line when editing midis, for instance in Anvil Studio? Also I'm a bit confused by the various fiddle options. There seem to be more showing up in ABC player than what I've read about around the forums? And are they all on the same range? Any tips you can give a returning musician would be most appreciated!

There's a lot of info in this thread: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...?661916-Fiddle
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval
    Author of plugins: SequenceBars, Reminders, others

Wow. 50 views and one response telling me to read a thread I already read. I gotta say I'm stunned by how helpful this forum is.

Based on the way you treated the one person who tried to help you, why would anyone else want to bother?
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval
    Author of plugins: SequenceBars, Reminders, others

Fionnuala, what server are you on. I have extra fiddles in storage I can send you if you are on Landroval. Also, I usually just edit them in Maestro. Digero has already added them to his system and I just assign them their own number. I only use anvil if I need to change something in the notes that doesn't sound right when I'm listening in Maestro. At least in Maestro I can hear the instruments as close to what they are going to sound like in the game.
    You can do a search in the forums for Maestro and it will come up with the information about the program. You may also be able to find it at this link: https://github.com/digero/maestro/releases

The Lonely Mountain Band uses the following Instruments assignments in Maestro. (I tried to post a picture but was unsuccessful): ABC Part Numbering

11 Lute of Ages 31 Theorbo
    111 Basic Lute 51 Flute
    21 Harp 71 Clarinet
    121 Misty Mountain Harp 61 Horn
    201 Bardic Fiddle 41 Bagpipe
    211 Basic Fiddle 91 Pibgorn
    221 Lonely Mountain Fiddle 1 Drums
    231 Sprightly Fiddle 81 Cowbell
    241 Student's Fiddle 81 Moor Cowbell
    251 Traveller's Trusty Fiddle

Increment
    1 Interval between multiple parts of the same instrument

Quote Originally Posted by Fionnuala View Post
    [...]But I was wondering what equivalent instrument you assign to a potential fiddle line when editing midis, for instance in Anvil Studio? Also I'm a bit confused by the various fiddle options. There seem to be more showing up in ABC player than what I've read about around the forums? And are they all on the same range? Any tips you can give a returning musician would be most appreciated!
    Huhu^^

Not so many answers? Maybe because these violins make us crazy
    ... Everyone is still learning to use it and explore the possibilities.

* A good equivalent instrument to assign to a potential fiddle line can be clarinet or Strings Ensembles, in many cases.

* Other way is to assign instruments with MIDI editor :
    (Take care : depends on your MIDI editor - ones begins at #0 for Acoustic Grand Piano, others begins at #1 for Acoustic Grand Piano)

- Bardic Fiddle = MIDI instrument 40
    - Basic Fiddle = MIDI instrument 41
    - Traveller's Trusty Fiddle = MIDI Instrument 45
    - Lonely Mountain Fiddle = MIDI IOnstrument 51
    - Sprightly Fiddle = MIDI Instrument 110
    - Student Fiddle = MIDI Instrument 120

* All fiddles are on the same range : from C2 to C5.
    - Note that the Student Fiddle got knock sounds on C2, C#2, D2, graphical note with no sound on D#2, E2, F2, F#2.
    - The Basic fiddle is the same as Student Fiddle, with a full range from C2 to C5 (without the knocking sounds and empty notes).

My own appreciation about how to use Fiddles :

- Sprightly Fiddle, Basic Fiddle and Bardic Fiddle : The most versatile, useable for many kind of tune.
    - Lonely Mountain Fiddle : Almost close to the Sprightly. Very useable for Strings Ensemble with long sustained notes.
    - Basic and Student's Fiddle : This one is distinguished by a better clarity in the treble notes but it suffers from a lack of sound volume.
    - Traveller's Trusty Fiddle : Not very interresting to hear with this bunch of unprepared tunes. So, that's give an idea about how it sounds in many cases. Perfect for Pizzicato strings, useable as fast banjo, muted Guitar or Ukelele! (and even sometimes useable as MIDI Music Box). Be close to the Lonely Mountain Harp/Harp too.

Hope this could help.

... don't be grumpy, just play music...

... and use Maestro !!!

./toasts and Rock!

Zed'

Sorry for my late reply. I don't check the forums often. But Zedrock! Thank you! Your reply was exactly what I was hoping for. It's been some time since I've made an abc and I'm a little rusty so I was quite nervous about trying to incorporate the fiddle. Thanks again!