We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Exclamation Lotro crashing without errorcode

Hi guys,

I think this question is on the forum somewere but i have an issue.

Lotro keeps on stopping without any errorcode.

I only have the problem on the laptop. My laptop is brand new 1 week old, with all the drivers updated. LOTRO should be working fine but sadly it's not.

Is there some one who had the same issue in the past and can give me an solution ??

Kind regards

Roy (Neathrif)

When I have the ubiquitous Minas Tirith-area crashes, it's usually a silent crash to desktop without any error message.

Whereabouts are you in game when this happens?

--H
    Installing LotRO -- One Guide to Rule Them All!
    Purchasing LotRO -- Guide to Building Your Own "Lifetime" Account.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    When I have the ubiquitous Minas Tirith-area crashes, it's usually a silent crash to desktop without any error message.

Whereabouts are you in game when this happens?

--H
    Hurin SHOULD have asked this. Have you followed his guide to installing the game (" LOTRO One Guide" search on Google); it might be as simple as installing a couple of older .NET and VB packages, or the 2010 dx9/10/11 installer.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    Hurin SHOULD have asked this. Have you followed his guide to installing the game (" LOTRO One Guide" search on Google); it might be as simple as installing a couple of older .NET and VB packages, or the 2010 dx9/10/11 installer.
    Nope. That guide is geared towards a game that won't run at all and is unlikely to address problems with a game that is running, fully functional, but crashing silently to desktop. But, I did figure you'd drop in to suggest it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    Nope. That guide is geared towards a game that won't run at all and is unlikely to address problems with a game that is running, fully functional, but crashing silently to desktop. But, I did figure you'd drop in to suggest it.
    Actually mate, someone had a similar issue with a freshly installed Win10 install a week or two ago, and the 2010 dx9 install fixed it.

It may well be that recent updates to Win10 have included dx12 fixes that have made it slightly more compatible with dx9 on LOTRO, but not enough to to be stable.

Speculation only, because I still wont touch the POS.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    Actually mate, someone had a similar issue with a freshly installed Win10 install a week or two ago, and the 2010 dx9 install fixed it.
    If it was silently crashing to desktop, while DX10/11 were working, and the game was otherwise working fine. . . then I'd be willing to wager something else fixed it.

It may well be that recent updates to Win10 have included dx12 fixes that have made it slightly more compatible with dx9 on LOTRO, but not enough to to be stable.
    Whatever. . .

I suspect the game code is wholly whack. I did a fresh install on windows 10 with no problems. Installed Win10, installed my updates, installed LoTRO and BAM it worked. Go figure.

There is no telling, I do know that something in the background on my computer grabs attention and BAM I am at the desktop, but I can Alt-Tab back into the game.
    "I never feed trolls and I don't read spam" - Weird Al Yankovic

Quote Originally Posted by Rugongrod View Post
    I suspect the game code is wholly whack.
    I don't think anyone really disputes this anymore.

But we can come up with a known good set of settings and systems states that can make it behave as its best self in that "whack" state.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugongrod View Post
    There is no telling, I do know that something in the background on my computer grabs attention and BAM I am at the desktop, but I can Alt-Tab back into the game.
    Ah, so unlike the OP, it's not really a "crash". . . just a loss of focus and minimization.

I'd try "ForceFakeFullscreen=True" in the UserPreferendces.ini, if you're still troubleshooting.

I'm experiencing this as well. Noticed it last week. Hadn't played in a few days. Prior the crashes I was able to play as long as I wanted with no issues. I log in again and I crash constantly (shire homesteads, shire, bree). Ridiculously frustrating. I've checked all kinds of settings and files. Nothing seems to work. Event log was pointing to ntvdm.dll as a potential culprit but it doesn't account for anything on my hardware as nothing had changed there.

Sadly, it might be getting time to retire LOTRO. Or get the bugs worked out.