We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Exclamation Lotro crashing without errorcode

Hi guys,

I think this question is on the forum somewere but i have an issue.

Lotro keeps on stopping without any errorcode.

I only have the problem on the laptop. My laptop is brand new 1 week old, with all the drivers updated. LOTRO should be working fine but sadly it's not.

Is there some one who had the same issue in the past and can give me an solution ??

Kind regards

Roy (Neathrif)

When I have the ubiquitous Minas Tirith-area crashes, it's usually a silent crash to desktop without any error message.

Whereabouts are you in game when this happens?

--H

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    When I have the ubiquitous Minas Tirith-area crashes, it's usually a silent crash to desktop without any error message.

Whereabouts are you in game when this happens?

--H
    Hurin SHOULD have asked this. Have you followed his guide to installing the game (" LOTRO One Guide" search on Google); it might be as simple as installing a couple of older .NET and VB packages, or the 2010 dx9/10/11 installer.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    Hurin SHOULD have asked this. Have you followed his guide to installing the game (" LOTRO One Guide" search on Google); it might be as simple as installing a couple of older .NET and VB packages, or the 2010 dx9/10/11 installer.
    Nope. That guide is geared towards a game that won't run at all and is unlikely to address problems with a game that is running, fully functional, but crashing silently to desktop. But, I did figure you'd drop in to suggest it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    Nope. That guide is geared towards a game that won't run at all and is unlikely to address problems with a game that is running, fully functional, but crashing silently to desktop. But, I did figure you'd drop in to suggest it.
    Actually mate, someone had a similar issue with a freshly installed Win10 install a week or two ago, and the 2010 dx9 install fixed it.

It may well be that recent updates to Win10 have included dx12 fixes that have made it slightly more compatible with dx9 on LOTRO, but not enough to to be stable.

Speculation only, because I still wont touch the POS.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    Actually mate, someone had a similar issue with a freshly installed Win10 install a week or two ago, and the 2010 dx9 install fixed it.
    If it was silently crashing to desktop, while DX10/11 were working, and the game was otherwise working fine. . . then I'd be willing to wager something else fixed it.

It may well be that recent updates to Win10 have included dx12 fixes that have made it slightly more compatible with dx9 on LOTRO, but not enough to to be stable.
    Whatever. . .

I suspect the game code is wholly whack. I did a fresh install on windows 10 with no problems. Installed Win10, installed my updates, installed LoTRO and BAM it worked. Go figure.

There is no telling, I do know that something in the background on my computer grabs attention and BAM I am at the desktop, but I can Alt-Tab back into the game.
    "I never feed trolls and I don't read spam" - Weird Al Yankovic

Quote Originally Posted by Rugongrod View Post
    I suspect the game code is wholly whack.
    I don't think anyone really disputes this anymore.

But we can come up with a known good set of settings and systems states that can make it behave as its best self in that "whack" state.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugongrod View Post
    There is no telling, I do know that something in the background on my computer grabs attention and BAM I am at the desktop, but I can Alt-Tab back into the game.
    Ah, so unlike the OP, it's not really a "crash". . . just a loss of focus and minimization.

I'd try "ForceFakeFullscreen=True" in the UserPreferendces.ini, if you're still troubleshooting.

I'm experiencing this as well. Noticed it last week. Hadn't played in a few days. Prior the crashes I was able to play as long as I wanted with no issues. I log in again and I crash constantly (shire homesteads, shire, bree). Ridiculously frustrating. I've checked all kinds of settings and files. Nothing seems to work. Event log was pointing to ntvdm.dll as a potential culprit but it doesn't account for anything on my hardware as nothing had changed there.

Sadly, it might be getting time to retire LOTRO. Or get the bugs worked out.

The game is crashing frenquently while I am in a transition area ( houses, travels i.e. ) for two weeks approx.

I bought a new PC a few weeks ago, an upgrade from my old i5 with a Radeon 7850 card and 8Gb. I now run LORO on an i7 with a GForce GTX 1070 and 16 Gb of RAM. The game, now installed on an SSD, runs much smoother and in higher resolution, but it frequently crashes to desktop without any error codes, always when zoning. I think it happens more than on the old machine. Both are Win10 fully updated. MT is still a big culprit but it happens elsewhere too. A bit frustrating really.
    "Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world."

Quote Originally Posted by Edelhardt View Post
    I bought a new PC a few weeks ago, an upgrade from my old i5 with a Radeon 7850 card and 8Gb. I now run LORO on an i7 with a GForce GTX 1070 and 16 Gb of RAM. The game, now installed on an SSD, runs much smoother and in higher resolution, but it frequently crashes to desktop without any error codes, always when zoning. I think it happens more than on the old machine. Both are Win10 fully updated. MT is still a big culprit but it happens elsewhere too. A bit frustrating really.
    You are aware of the issues with NVidea gfx cards and have followed the guide on how to minimise crashes ?

No, I am not, actually. Where can I find that guide?
    "Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world."

Generally if you have crashing issues on Windows 10 one of the first mid-tier troubleshooting things I'd recommend is to run the Windows DirectX Runtime from Microsoft's web site and see if that resolves your issue. While DirectX12 is theoretically backwards compatible, we've found that it doesn't always play well with LOTRO's game client and launcher.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Google+ - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Thanks Cordovan. I googled Microsoft Windows DirectX Runtime and it found a download, but this didn't include Win10 as supported OS, only older ones. Being a Hunt*rd I closed my eyes and ran it anyway, and it said I have DirectX 12 installed, there is no need for further installation, and it aborted.

Can you provide a link to what I should run?

Thanks Cordovan. I googled Microsoft Windows DirectX Runtime and it found a download, but this didn't include Win10 as supported OS, only older ones. Being a Hunt*rd I closed my eyes and ran it anyway, and it said I have DirectX 12 installed, there is no need for further installation, and it aborted.

Can you provide a link to what I should run?
    You want the dx9 runtime files (2010), https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrI...wKe6mbR7pc3pk-

You need to downloaded it, extract it and then locate the "set up.exe" file in the extracted files and run it, and ignore any warnings from Win10.

Generally, the forum search bar is useless, do any searches you need from google etc, just start them with "LOTRO", and they will find just about everything needed.

"LOTRO One Guide" is a good place to start for new users.

Thank you again for your help. I found the files and my machine has installed them without problems or warnings. Do I take it that I now need to run the game in DirectX 9 mode rather than DirectX 11?

Edit to add: clearly not, lol. I changed it to DirectX 9 and it didn't even want to start, lots of error messages related to video. Changed it back to DirectX 11 and it started normally. Let's see if it is more stable now.
    Last edited by Edelhardt; Oct 30 2018 at 10:09 AM.

Thank you again for your help. I found the files and my machine has installed them without problems or warnings. Do I take it that I now need to run the game in DirectX 9 mode rather than DirectX 11?

Edit to add: clearly not, lol. I changed it to DirectX 9 and it didn't even want to start, lots of error messages related to video. Changed it back to DirectX 11 and it started normally. Let's see if it is more stable now.
    Go through Hurins "One Guide" to make sure you have all the files LOTRo needs to work/be stable(ish), and also read up on how to mitigate against issues with NV gfx cards; finally, try a fresh install of the latest gfx card drivers, as my recent crashes, after an SSD fail, were fixed by this, even though my stored driver files were only a few months old.

If DirectX 9 misbehaves for you like that, try this.

Thanks Hurin, I already found that solution because of Yarbro's pointer to your post. I made the change to the userpreferences.ini file and the game now starts ok with DirectX 9.

Is the bottom line of all this then that the game should be more stable under DirectX 9 than under DirectX 11?

Is the bottom line of all this then that the game should be more stable under DirectX 9 than under DirectX 11?
    In places where the game is known to just close suddenly, especially around Minas Tirith, I used to notice that it was significantly more stable under DirectX 9. Not perfectly stable, but much, much more stable. Whether that remains the case, however, I don't know. I don't play enough anymore to really say.

Personally, when stability isn't top priority, I stick with DirectX 11. . . I find the dappled shadows from trees and such too appealing to turn off unless absolutely necessary.

--H

I agree with you on the improvement in graphics. I was in that lush valley leading into the Grey Mountains and compared DX9 with DX11. DX11 looks so much nicer, I will stick with it and acccept the inconvenience of the zoning crashes. I still run the Harlond dailies for scrolls, I'll just have to live with the problems in that area.