We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

starting fresh, server recomendations for US?

I did some google searches and it seems Ark, Brandy and Crick are all decently populated servers. However one comment stood out to me stating that Landroval was a fantastic server for fellowships and group content. I know what RP is, but what is RE? I've never roleplayed in an mmorpg ever despite having been playing mmo's for 15 years now. How accepting is the Landroval community, I never really DOVE that far into the lore of lord of the rings to even feel confident in being on the server. But I want a solid group of folks that I can chat with while I level and ask for maybe some help with content here and there as I go.

Thanks folks!

ignore my forum name.........its an insanely long story and would NOT represent my in game character name on an RP server lol.

RE stands for Roleplaying Encouraged. Landroval is indeed a friendly community, helpful and a good deal more reasonable than Arkenstone, Brandywine or Crickhollow. Just yesterday evening I (as Doloridal) had to read in the chat on Belegaer, (also RE, German) that Crick is actually anything but kind (too much competiton?). Arkenstone and Brandywine are both populated by many PvMP (Player versus Monster Player) characters, and that shows in the world chat, too.

So, if you are from the states and want to play the story rather than fight, I would recommend Landroval. You are not required to be speaking in some made up medieval English, and people will answer your questions correctly, instead of making jokes that newcomers cannot understand.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Treufried, human Level 115 Lore Master, formerly from Maiar (DE), now on Belegaer
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Alexophor, human Level 115 Hunter, formerly a Nimrod, now on Landroval
    Awkward Animal Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval)

Since the take over of SSG I believe now there is very little between Landroval and Laurelin. You have for some time now seem names which would have been disallowed when Laurelin was in the hands of Codemasters and the rule-set governing the server was enforced by the GMs which specifically dealt with lore appropriate naming.

So when it comes down to whether you go Landroval or Laurelin I firmly believe it all depends on your timezone working for when the server is most active. I know for certain that the old EU site Laurelin has a lot of US based players who work around the time difference.

The only advantage Laurelin has over Landroval I feel is it still has long standing members from its Codemaster days who joined Laurelin to RP and it also has the website the Laurelin Archives to support the RP community by hosting in character storylines and pictorials. The link to that site is in my signature below.

You can play just fine on an RP server without RPing. All you have to do is pick a character name that fits, more or less, and don't intentionally bother people who are RPing. There are also very, very, easy RP roles that are like extras in a movie such as "Quiet Audience Member" and "Curious Passerby" that are effortless for you while adding to the ambience of an RP scene.

Then you join a fellowship and go run some skirmishes and kill a bunch of whatever in a decidedly non-RP fashion.

Have fun!
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Polymachos View Post
    RE stands for Roleplaying Encouraged. Landroval is indeed a friendly community, helpful and a good deal more reasonable than Arkenstone, Brandywine or Crickhollow. Just yesterday evening I (as Doloridal) had to read in the chat on Belegaer, (also RE, German) that Crick is actually anything but kind (too much competiton?). Arkenstone and Brandywine are both populated by many PvMP (Player versus Monster Player) characters, and that shows in the world chat, too.

So, if you are from the states and want to play the story rather than fight, I would recommend Landroval. You are not required to be speaking in some made up medieval English, and people will answer your questions correctly, instead of making jokes that newcomers cannot understand.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Would agree that Brandywine and Crickhollow are not RP friendly in general. I play on both, though I don't RP, but the chat is often at best off-topic and not infrequently, well, coarse.

Plenty of RP on Crick too, if that is your thing. Sure there may be occasionall pi**ing contests on channels like lff, but I just tune them out. I never got the impression that community is 'nasty'.

Quote Originally Posted by scorrp10 View Post
    Plenty of RP on Crick too, if that is your thing. Sure there may be occasionall pi**ing contests on channels like lff, but I just tune them out. I never got the impression that community is 'nasty'.
    Please note that I said, "coarse," and not nasty though you will occasionally see nasty. Yes you can tune it out but as Crickhollow is a fairly populous server you could liken it to living in a large city, sometimes you're going to see or hear things you'd rather not but it has something for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Alewyze View Post
    Please note that I said, "coarse," and not nasty though you will occasionally see nasty. Yes you can tune it out but as Crickhollow is a fairly populous server you could liken it to living in a large city, sometimes you're going to see or hear things you'd rather not but it has something for everyone.
    logged into arkenstone and all the chat flooded with was korea, military, trump and trolls............will probably stick to Landroval. Found a nice kin on Landroval and it seems much more friendly and peaceful without as much trolls mixed into the crowd.

Nice! Our kin (eventually) ended up on Landroval after the consolidation, and we have not regretted it. While any World chat can get weird, on any server, there is always the option to ignore it a bit. I'd say Landy was a good choice, in my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ViciousDSxxx View Post
    logged into arkenstone and all the chat flooded with was korea, military, trump and trolls............will probably stick to Landroval. Found a nice kin on Landroval and it seems much more friendly and peaceful without as much trolls mixed into the crowd.

New Player

Many thanks to all in directing to a Hobbit beginning. I'm on day 4 in downloading this game, with 995 Megabytes left. Would there be a flash drive in the future? I wish to purchase one some day. My DSL speed is one jack-donkey and a hay cart, 1024/384 Kbits. Busy servers would create moderate lagging and disconnected. After completing the download. I'm will create a system image before creating a avatar. Well it go well. I got an error " can't open dat file, missing or corrupted, error 201. " I've search the forum for help and found a lot of good information. Yet its no for Windows 10 version 1803. So my last chance to play Lord of the Rings is with Athlon Games. See you folks in a few years.

Regards Redscarelett
    Last edited by Redscarelett; Sep 29 2018 at 11:14 PM.