We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

So Let Me Get This Straight.....

So tell me ### is actually going on here. Is this right? To get max gear this is what a player will need to do?

1. First get to max level by questing in top areas
    2. Use that rep bullcrap currency to get the best rep vendor gear that they can get or use gear from loot boxes
    3. Then do instances for better instance gear.
    4. Then, once I have instance gear I start doing T1 raids and I slowly get up raid gear that is better than instance gear
    5. Then, eventually once I get enough raid gear to survive T2 raids then I can begin to get rare raid gear drops.

Basically, ### I would like a developer or someone in the know to tell me is how the hell I am supposed to go from crafted 115 gear to 120 top level because I am sick and tired of this convoluted always changing total bullcrap. I am about completely done with this company and I haven't played in like 7 months already and now they are apparently going to change it all again?

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCappy View Post
    [....] and now they are apparently going to change it all again?
    Welcome to the world of MMOs where things always change, and where the endgame is always a grind, and where every rise in level cap means everyone has to start practically from scratch again.

Getting top gear always requires a grind and a lot of work - or in a few games a lot of money.

The good news is that you never actually need the very best gear. You earn it by doing the hardest content, which means you can only get the gear once you have proven you don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post
    , which means you can only get the gear once you have proven you don't need it.

Oh LOL, a bit like a bank loan then.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post
    ...you can only get the gear once you have proven you don't need it.
    lol you nailed it

So tell me ### is actually going on here. Is this right? To get max gear this is what a player will need to do?

2. Use that rep bullcrap currency to get the best rep vendor gear that they can get or use gear from loot boxes
    4. Then, once I have instance gear I start doing T1 raids and I slowly get up raid gear that is better than instance gear
    5. Then, eventually once I get enough raid gear to survive T2 raids then I can begin to get rare raid gear drops.

Basically, ### I would like a developer or someone in the know to tell me is how the hell I am supposed to go from crafted 115 gear to 120 top level because I am sick and tired of this convoluted always changing total bullcrap. I am about completely done with this company and I haven't played in like 7 months already and now they are apparently going to change it all again?
    You think LOTRO has grind, go play EQ.

No, you can do instances in Quest Gear, but most just develop their crafting skills and craft alts and make armour and jewelry that is able to be used in T1 content as can Green quest gear. But there are those elitists that want a player to be equipped in a certain way and will only accept those so equipped.
    Ujest - 120 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 95 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf_TheOld View Post
    You think LOTRO has grind, go play EQ.

No, you can do instances in Quest Gear, but most just develop their crafting skills and craft alts and make armour and jewelry that is able to be used in T1 content as can Green quest gear. But there are those elitists that want a player to be equipped in a certain way and will only accept those so equipped.
    If only crafting was an option this past year....
    Holding on by the last hair on the dwarfs beard.

You forgot:
    6) Accomplish all that a week before the level is raised and you get to start all over again

I'm not trying to defend how things work, I'm just calling it as I see it.

How much time/effort does it take the devs to create new content? A new zone with new landscape, new quests, new instances, new raid, etc. Multiple months.

How much time does it take for players to play through that content? A fraction of the time it took the devs to create it.

The grind to get the new gear is a "time sink", a way of slowing down how quickly players finish the existing content and start asking for more new content. The grind isn't fun, but it's not possible for the devs to keep ahead of the players without adding some grind, so the devs add time sinks to at least slow down how quickly the players complete the content. Changing gear every few levels and adding artificial hurdles to extend the time needed to acquire that gear is a very common tool used in "theme park" MMO's that focus on PvE content. Other theme park/PvE MMO's use similar mechanisms, this isn't something unique to LOTRO.

You might be happier playing a "sandbox" MMO where there is less formal content and players have a lot more freedom to play in different ways, but sandbox style MMO's tend to be more focussed on PvP content. The other MMO I play is Eve Online, a mostly PvP spaceships game where the PvE content is quite limited.

If you want to play a PvE game where you rely on devs to create the playable content, you need to give them some breathing room which keeps the existing content relevant for as long as possible while they work on the next new set of content.

While you might be tempted to say that a PvE game with auto-generated content is possible, converting LOTRO as it is now into something like that would probably mean re-writing the game from scratch. Not something that's likely to happen any time soon.

I'm not trying to defend SSG, but you should at least recognise that SSG bought the ownership of the game as an already running MMO, where the decisions of how the game would be developed were made over a decade ago. I'm not saying LOTRO is perfect, I have my own gripes about some aspects of the game, but I do recognise why the time sinks exist in the game, even when those time sinks irritate me from time to time.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)

Quote Originally Posted by GarethB View Post

I'm not trying to defend SSG, but you should at least recognise that SSG bought the ownership of the game as an already running MMO, where the decisions of how the game would be developed were made over a decade ago. I'm not saying LOTRO is perfect, I have my own gripes about some aspects of the game, but I do recognise why the time sinks exist in the game, even when those time sinks irritate me from time to time.
    The people who bought it are the people who have been making the decisions for years. Don't try to excuse them. It's their poor decisions that caused profits to drop and WB to want to stop funneling money to it.

Quote Originally Posted by groucho42 View Post
    The people who bought it are the people who have been making the decisions for years. Don't try to excuse them. It's their poor decisions that caused profits to drop and WB to want to stop funneling money to it.
    If Turbine would have managed the game better they would not have needed WB.
    WB joining was the worst thing that could have happened to lotro.

Quote Originally Posted by ragesangel View Post
    If Turbine would have managed the game better they would not have needed WB.
    WB joining was the worst thing that could have happened to lotro.

Preach this so hard. + Turbine hiring devs from WoW which totally screwed the real lotro since lvl 85.