We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Gagged...

Gagged...

Blowing off steam here, but there's a couple of issues... I understand the need to crack down on spammers, but here's what happened to me. My character leads a band in the game which is unusual (these days) in that we actually have multiple players involved, rather than a single player multi-boxing 3 to 6 alts. We play a regular concert every week on Saturdays, and yesterday I was "singing" a song in Local chat in front of an audience of 8 or 10. The music comes from a popular song, but I have re-written the lyrics to portray the Rohirrim on their ride to the aid of Minas Tirith. The lyrics still maintain the structure of the original lyrics though, and towards the end of the song there are lyrics that are repeated over and over. This is not a new piece for our band, and I've "performed" this song many, many times before. But yesterday, I was suddenly silenced in the middle of the song, with this message appearing in my chat:

"Your account has been gagged by a game administrator. You will be unable to chat until the gag is lifted. Please use the help system to contact an admin for resolution of this issue."

FORTUNATELY, for logistical reasons, I always DO double-box 2 characters during concerts and so I was able on my other account to let both the 7 other players in the band and our audience know what had happened, and the concert was able to continue. Had I not had another character active at the time, the concert would have come to a grinding halt and no one would have known why.

At any rate, after the concert I submitted a ticket explaining the situation and requesting the gag to be lifted. I did this at about 2:30PM Server Time. I then stayed online on this character for several hours, waiting for a response.

This morning, I logged in to find that a GM responded to the ticket at 12:35AM, some 10 hours after it was submitted, and long after I'd gone to bed. This is the response:

"Thank you for your request for assistance. Unfortunately we have to close this request as you were offline with the affected character at the time we were able to assist you. The issue you are reporting cannot be resolved while you are offline. If you have a similar issue in the future, please submit a new help request from the character experiencing the issue and we will be happy to assist you."

So I am STILL gagged, and now must submit a new ticket and sit around waiting for another GM to notice it.

Yes, I know there are many tickets, and probably not enough GMs to handle them all. But there must be a better way to handle this sort of thing. I presume that the gag was made by a bot, just counting texts, and no human was at the controls. Can there not be a warning /tell, saying "You are about to be gagged; stop repeating chat immediately"? ...or something of the sort...

And why must a ticket be closed just because a GM looked at it and did nothing about it? Can't tickets stay open until actually resolved?

I had heard that some effort had been made to insulate musicians in the game from the effects of the spam wars, but apparently those efforts (whatever they might be) were not sufficient to keep me out of the hole.

Addendum: Someone pointed out to me (on Discord) that it's also problematic as to why LOCAL chat behavior was gagged. I was not in a global channel, anyone close to me that was "bothered" could simply walk away or Ignore me...
    Last edited by Bolderbrook; Sep 16 2018 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolderbrook View Post
    Blowing off steam here, but there's a couple of issues... I understand the need to crack down on spammers, but here's what happened to me. My character leads a band in the game which is unusual (these days) in that we actually have multiple players involved, rather than a single player multi-boxing 3 to 6 alts. We play a regular concert every week on Saturdays, and yesterday I was "singing" a song in Local chat in front of an audience of 8 or 10. The music comes from a popular song, but I have re-written the lyrics to portray the Rohirrim on their ride to the aid of Minas Tirith. The lyrics still maintain the structure of the original lyrics though, and towards the end of the song there are lyrics that are repeated over and over. This is not a new piece for our band, and I've "performed" this song many, many times before. But yesterday, I was suddenly silenced in the middle of the song, with this message appearing in my chat:

"Your account has been gagged by a game administrator. You will be unable to chat until the gag is lifted. Please use the help system to contact an admin for resolution of this issue."

FORTUNATELY, for logistical reasons, I always DO double-box 2 characters during concerts and so I was able on my other account to let both the 7 other players in the band and our audience know what had happened, and the concert was able to continue. Had I not had another character active at the time, the concert would have come to a grinding halt and no one would have known why.

At any rate, after the concert I submitted a ticket explaining the situation and requesting the gag to be lifted. I did this at about 2:30PM Server Time. I then stayed online on this character for several hours, waiting for a response.

This morning, I logged in to find that a GM responded to the ticket at 12:35AM, some 10 hours after it was submitted, and long after I'd gone to bed. This is the response:

"Thank you for your request for assistance. Unfortunately we have to close this request as you were offline with the affected character at the time we were able to assist you. The issue you are reporting cannot be resolved while you are offline. If you have a similar issue in the future, please submit a new help request from the character experiencing the issue and we will be happy to assist you."

So I am STILL gagged, and now must submit a new ticket and sit around waiting for another GM to notice it.

Yes, I know there are many tickets, and probably not enough GMs to handle them all. But there must be a better way to handle this sort of thing. I presume that the gag was made by a bot, just counting texts, and no human was at the controls. Can there not be a warning /tell, saying "You are about to be gagged; stop repeating chat immediately"? ...or something of the sort...

And why must a ticket be closed just because a GM looked at it and did nothing about it? Can't tickets stay open until actually resolved?

I had heard that some effort had been made to insulate musicians in the game from the effects of the spam wars, but apparently those efforts (whatever they might be) were not sufficient to keep me out of the hole.

If it is ANY consolation; I have a 99 year ban from Toms hardware for identifying a mysterious posting as being written in Somali, and asking about getting into a Somalian Google+ account; apparently trying to help in this way is being racist.

But yesterday, I was suddenly silenced in the middle of the song, with this message appearing in my chat:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...19#post7862619

Addendum: Someone pointed out to me (on Discord) that it's also problematic as to why LOCAL chat behavior was gagged. I was not in a global channel, anyone close to me that was "bothered" could simply walk away or Ignore me...
    The problem they're trying to fix prevents people from walking away and ignoring the griefer.
    Arkenstone: Guntred Burg, Flormir Guard, Marv LM, Willaman Mini
    Mirnakh Warg, Slimezem Def, Litemup BA, Bloodletr WL

Cant really tell if people are tired of Featured Instance content or frustrated like i am over getting gagged while advertising for groups. So annoying.
    Seems that the number of FI runs is really low nowadays.

Thohelm-R11 LM/Kameo-R10 Hunter
    Abusaad-R8 CPT/Dafinalas-R5 Guard/Makyla-R8 Mini/ Meirain-R9 Burg/ Lostshadow-Champ