We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lore-Master Pet Damage

At the moment it seems that pet damage is based on:
    The Pet itself (raven seems to be weakest, apart from spirit of nature obviously. Bog-guardian seems to be strongest single-target, sabortooth is only AoE to that makes him strongest AoE)
    Traits (Particularly blue line traits)
    Pocket Item
    Foods
    And a couple of skills.

Can I humbly ask that the LM stats therefore increase pet dmg? My lm is 105 and in blue line, where pet should be strong, they are seriously weak. When my LM is 105, means my pets all exceed that magic number 106, so their dmg should be ridiculously higher, instead they're dealing about 2% of the mobs' morale dmg.

My suggestion (and this would have to be adjusted with upcoming update): if your LM mastery cap is 400%, at cap the pet should get an increase of at least 100% base, 200% maybe if blue lined. Because the LM focuses on tactical mastery, I'd go with this over physical. Alternatively, as some LMs will have mastery essences over will essences, only a % of the mastery given from Will could effect pet, up to say 100-200%.

Just my request to improve a recently ruined class, imo.

[QUOTE=CountBatlord;7867837]At the moment it seems that pet damage is based on:
    The Pet itself (raven seems to be weakest, apart from spirit of nature obviously. Bog-guardian seems to be strongest single-target, sabortooth is only AoE to that makes him strongest AoE)
    Traits (Particularly blue line traits)
    Pocket Item
    Foods
    And a couple of skills.

Can I humbly ask that the LM stats therefore increase pet dmg? My lm is 105 and in blue line, where pet should be strong, they are seriously weak. When my LM is 105, means my pets all exceed that magic number 106, so their dmg should be ridiculously higher, instead they're dealing about 2% of the mobs' morale dmg.

My suggestion (and this would have to be adjusted with upcoming update): if your LM mastery cap is 400%, at cap the pet should get an increase of at least 100% base, 200% maybe if blue lined. Because the LM focuses on tactical mastery, I'd go with this over physical. Alternatively, as some LMs will have mastery essences over will essences, only a % of the mastery given from Will could effect pet, up to say 100-200%.

Just my request to improve a recently ruined class, imo.[/QUOTE
    Hello. I read that you are concerned but my experience at 115 cap is different. You may be caught between 2 systems currently as you are 105. Personally I like to use my Lynx or Bear solo and Raven or Bog Guardian in group stuff . When I am in Blue Line in N.Mirkwood and Erebor my Lynx can kill 89k targets in under 30 secs solo (less if I use food catmint etc ). she can also drop harder targets upto 300k solo. I find it quite easy to round up 2-5 targets by attacking them in succession with the cat then move in and do Ancient Craft , wait for the auto crit to proc , and then lightning storm everything with crit hits doing well in excess of 200k damage on each target. They fall over every time. On a harder target , solo , I would use the bear build up a bit of my own damage first whilst not pulling aggro then execute as above. The last part of killing a hard subject would be a force taunt from the bear and me throwing all my other high damage at it. They generally fall over. So I would say that pet dps is fairly good atm and I hope it stays there. If they decide to expand upon pet skills and function that would be exciting. In red and yellow pets are handy for skills procs and dps contribution so no complaints there either. Personally I am loving the LM where it is now but I appreciate not everybody will feel the same. So I obviously would say that I politely disagree with you and hope that you enjoy lvl115 as much as I have. regards.

Maybe it's a lower level thing.
    I just rolled one, currently doing agamaur at a low 32
    The bog guardian agro range is very low. I need to stand next to the mob for the pet to attack at all.
    It has a hard time getting agro off me. It seems counter-intuitive to use the weakest skills just so the boggie can grab agro.

Maybe slipping into crafted gear 32 made too much of a difference for the boggie to deal enough damage and pull stuff off me but the range is dreadful. It's like halberd or staff melee range before it even reacts.

Pets are supposed to be support to lore-masters not the other way around, if you want more dps you should be using red line instead of blue.

Are you in Mordor?
    How many Trait Points and how are they spent and in what lines?
    Have you traited Sic'em, Hearty Diet and Feral?
    What legacies do you have on your LI/ILI?

As said above pets are not meant to be big damage dealers, they buff certain aspects of the LM and perform select other functions. For example the Blue Bears ability to hold aggro.
    How familiar are you with this page, Lore-master and the linked pages?

Yes there have been many changes over the years, with recent class re-balance, but the information is still of value. As the U.S. Marines say, “Improvise, Adapt and Overcome”.
    Ujest - 120 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 104 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

Quote Originally Posted by Macroscian View Post
    Maybe it's a lower level thing.
    I just rolled one, currently doing agamaur at a low 32
    The bog guardian agro range is very low. I need to stand next to the mob for the pet to attack at all.
    It has a hard time getting agro off me. It seems counter-intuitive to use the weakest skills just so the boggie can grab agro.

Maybe slipping into crafted gear 32 made too much of a difference for the boggie to deal enough damage and pull stuff off me but the range is dreadful. It's like halberd or staff melee range before it even reacts.
    Need aggro control try the Blue Bear. A Blue Bog Guardian does nothing for aggro.

Lore-master Follow one of the links on that page and it will lead you to Pet information about what each pet does.
    Ujest - 120 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 104 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

Guys, the OP has a valid point. He says that the scaling of the pet's base damage is off. And this is absolutely true. It simpy grows linearily with our level (exceptions are traits etc.). But character and mob damage/morale grow exponetially, with bumps at certain level thresholds (e.g. 85->86 and 105->106). This means the relative pet damage gets weaker and weaker the higher your character level goes.

Somewhere in the past (update 15 or something?) people complained that the pet damage was too low at max lvl. Turbine responded by boosting the base pet damage. That led to ridiculously overpowered pets in low lvl regions - going through Eregion, my bog lurker regularily two-shoted on-level mobs (one-shot with crit). In red line. At 85 or so, damage felt about right (took five hits or so). At 105, it was only okay-ish. Now, at 115, it barely scratches the enemies morale pool.

Dranak123 says his cat can kill a mob in under 30 seconds when in blue line. This is too long imho. I disagree when ppl write "pets are support only"; blue line revolves around pets, giving them a lot of buffs. They should do good damage on their own @blue. And on max lvl, they simply don't.

Back to topic: Like Macroscian, I'd love to have a better scaling. No oneshots at low levels, and better damage at max lvl. Truly [b]balanced[/i] from lvl 5 to 115. Growing at about the same speed as our character's power grows.

Finding the perfect spot will be hard, since everyone has a different idea where that perfect spot lies.

All this will change with the next update. I tried the lore master on Bullroarer, went with a level 115 in blue line (that had finished Nortern Mirkwoods) to Agarnaith and tried Drear-Root. The pet had lost over 50% of morale due to the changes, and as I didn't heal the bear, he died to Drear-Root, in spite of the use of sticky tar, sic em, gourd etc. The Hidden Threat itself did not lose the same amount of morale, it just went down from 700K+ to 530K+. Which imho is not appropriate.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Treufried, human Level 120 Lore Master, formerly from Maiar (DE), now on Belegaer
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Alexophor, human Level 120 Hunter, formerly a Nimrod, now on Landroval
    Awkward Animal Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Minas Tirith under attack!

Quote Originally Posted by Polymachos View Post
    All this will change with the next update. I tried the lore master on Bullroarer, went with a level 115 in blue line (that had finished Nortern Mirkwoods) to Agarnaith and tried Drear-Root. The pet had lost over 50% of morale due to the changes, and as I didn't heal the bear, he died to Drear-Root, in spite of the use of sticky tar, sic em, gourd etc. The Hidden Threat itself did not lose the same amount of morale, it just went down from 700K+ to 530K+. Which imho is not appropriate.

Greetings, Polymachos
    I will add : tutelage of the brown ( Your pets gain 3 levels ) will NOT work at lvl 120...... as seen in bull#3 and #4. I hope this bug will be resolved before live.