We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Three Improvements for the North Downs

Loved the recent Bree update. Would like to see some improvements to other more 'classic' areas of Eriador, like in the North Downs:

- Othrikar is a great Dwarf town. Would be cool to see some interior details added like an inn, mining offices, quarters, etc.

- Lin Giliath in Meluinen is classified as an Elven outpost but it is more than that. It has complete buildings, an interior library, and not merely a few ruined columns inhabited by a few sad Elves. Plus given its open location, it basically seems like the neighboring trolls and Orcs could easily overrun the site. How about revising the outpost where it has some kind of natural surrounding barrier hiding what is there? Make it more like a bordered village or town?

- Similar to what we see in Evendim, add a boat 'stable' ride between the south point of Meluinen to near the Hunter's Camp in Nen Harn.

Quote Originally Posted by Orintho View Post
    Loved the recent Bree update. Would like to see some improvements to other more 'classic' areas of Eriador, like in the North Downs:

- Othrikar is a great Dwarf town. Would be cool to see some interior details added like an inn, mining offices, quarters, etc.

- Lin Giliath in Meluinen is classified as an Elven outpost but it is more than that. It has complete buildings, an interior library, and not merely a few ruined columns inhabited by a few sad Elves. Plus given its open location, it basically seems like the neighboring trolls and Orcs could easily overrun the site. How about revising the outpost where it has some kind of natural surrounding barrier hiding what is there? Make it more like a bordered village or town?

- Similar to what we see in Evendim, add a boat 'stable' ride between the south point of Meluinen to near the Hunter's Camp in Nen Harn.
    I really like your ideas. I have always felt that the North Downs area in general seems sort of rough and unfinished.

Esteldin has great potential, but as it is it looks more like a space used as an open market than like a place where people actually live.
    There are a lot of people there...where do they sleep at night?
    Do they come from somewhere else and only work there during the day? If so, where do they live? Do they all sleep in those tents?

Trestlebridge reminds me of Archet.
    I guess because they are both burned.
    It would be cool if Trestlebridge had a few more streets... neighborhoods. They should be deserted...(with rats)...the town being on the edge of the evil that is flowing south.

Yeah, I hope the North Downs is on the agenda for a brushing up.
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Sep 15 2018 at 11:03 PM.
    ...................... missed a putt...............At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face.
    This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.
    Buying keys is not playing the game.
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

What I'd like to see, in or near Esteldin, is some farmland. The Crafting Hall has all the NPCs, including the Guild Officers. We can do everything we want there ... except farm.

There's a farm just up the road, but at present the fields of Gatson's Farm are just cosmetic and Gatson and Gilmar are just quest-givers. How difficult would it be to make some of their fields functional (suggestion: not the ones to the south, that are full of Orcs) and turn Gatson and/or Gilmar into Expert Farmers? (That's not a rhetorical question; I really want to know.)
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

I Agree in between the starter areas and Bree the next serviceable area seems to be Rivendell

There should be inns, Auction Halls, places people can RP..a center of Activity, not just the next stop along the way

There should be a "Bree like" Place along the way to Rivendell and later Lorien
    “Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.”? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    What I'd like to see, in or near Esteldin, is some farmland. The Crafting Hall has all the NPCs, including the Guild Officers. We can do everything we want there ... except farm.

There's a farm just up the road, but at present the fields of Gatson's Farm are just cosmetic and Gatson and Gilmar are just quest-givers. How difficult would it be to make some of their fields functional (suggestion: not the ones to the south, that are full of Orcs) and turn Gatson and/or Gilmar into Expert Farmers? (That's not a rhetorical question; I really want to know.)
    Wait a minute... that might be fun, needing to stop plowing, or seeding, or harvesting to deal with a rampaging orc!.
    I might like that. Of course, it would really be quite simple if you only needed to farm a few items. Just kill all the nearby orcs and then proceed with producing those 5 fields of Winter Barley and then be on yer way.
    ...................... missed a putt...............At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face.
    This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.
    Buying keys is not playing the game.
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Quote Originally Posted by Flagron View Post
    I Agree in between the starter areas and Bree the next serviceable area seems to be Rivendell

There should be inns, Auction Halls, places people can RP..a center of Activity, not just the next stop along the way

Perhaps it "should" be, but it is pretty well established in lore that there isn't any inns or major settlements between the Forsaken Inn and Rivendell.

Fact is that Eriador in the late Third Age is a pretty desolate place, with most of it uninhabited wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Flagron View Post

I disagree with this cause beyond the Forsaken, There nothing until you get to Rivendell that is lore, there wouldn't be anymore Inns or anything its all wild, I like the way it is as is. but then again we have Ost guruth and other camps. maybe add an Auction person and Vault keeper to Ost guruth, that would be fine. but not stuff Bree-like in area thats to have nothing then there already is.
    Pontin Level 115 Hobbit Burglar Kinship Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server. Staff member of the Lord of the Rings Discord Server, and Owner of Middle-Earth Lore discord.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's some of my Screenshots Throughout Middle Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!