We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

SOLVED: Game Occasionally Freezing for 1-2 seconds, and then music restarts.

Hey all,

I just recently re-downloaded LOTRO after a year or so of a break. I reinstalled from scratch when doing so. However, ever since i started playing again, every 30 seconds or even sometimes as few as every minute or so, the game will freeze for about 1-2 seconds, and then start going again, but the music restarts.

I've made sure that my GPU drivers are up to date, and I have all recent windows updates, In addition, I thought that since music was restarting, maybe it was a sound card driver issue (I'm just using the onboard from my mobo) I updated the sound drivers, and the issue is still occuring.

Any suggestions to help correct this issue?

PC Specs:

Intel Core i5 8600k

EVGA Nvidia GTX 1060 SSC

16GB DDR4

Windows 10 x64 Pro
    Last edited by shilofax293; Sep 17 2018 at 12:33 PM. Reason: solved

Quote Originally Posted by shilofax293 View Post
    Hey all,

I just recently re-downloaded LOTRO after a year or so of a break. I reinstalled from scratch when doing so. However, ever since i started playing again, every 30 seconds or even sometimes as few as every minute or so, the game will freeze for about 1-2 seconds, and then start going again, but the music restarts.

I've made sure that my GPU drivers are up to date, and I have all recent windows updates, In addition, I thought that since music was restarting, maybe it was a sound card driver issue (I'm just using the onboard from my mobo) I updated the sound drivers, and the issue is still occuring.

Any suggestions to help correct this issue?

PC Specs:

Intel Core i5 8600k

EVGA Nvidia GTX 1060 SSC

16GB DDR4

Windows 10 x64 Pro

The last - almost identical case to this turned out to be the audio drivers, he reinstalled them a 2nd time and suddenly everything worked properly. It might be worth deleting the audio device from the Hardware manager, rebooting and installing the new driver again.
    He was ONLY getting issues in LOTRO, everything else was working correctly.

it may also be that the game and a background task are using the same core; so manually setting "Affinity" to a different core might help.

alt-ctrl-del - Task Manager - Processes. Find lotro.exe, right click it and select "Affinity", then set it to a pair of cores; Core 0 and the last physical core often work best with an AMD Win7 system, not sure about your Intel.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    The last - almost identical case to this turned out to be the audio drivers, he reinstalled them a 2nd time and suddenly everything worked properly. It might be worth deleting the audio device from the Hardware manager, rebooting and installing the new driver again.
    He was ONLY getting issues in LOTRO, everything else was working correctly.

it may also be that the game and a background task are using the same core; so manually setting "Affinity" to a different core might help.

alt-ctrl-del - Task Manager - Processes. Find lotro.exe, right click it and select "Affinity", then set it to a pair of cores; Core 0 and the last physical core often work best with an AMD Win7 system, not sure about your Intel.

Tried all of this. Didn't work.

I reinstalled Windows 10, tried base windows drivers, didn't work.

Installed updated mobo drivers, didn't work, same issues.

I'm starting to get really, really frustrated, and LOTRO is the only game where this is occurring.

Tried all of this. Didn't work.

I reinstalled Windows 10, tried base windows drivers, didn't work.

Installed updated mobo drivers, didn't work, same issues.

I'm starting to get really, really frustrated, and LOTRO is the only game where this is occurring.

Have you been through Hurins "One Guide", to make sure you have every weird thing the game needs, but doesnt install, or tell you about??

There have also been reports of the latest Win10 update buggering the game up; but that is almost de-rigour for Win10 these days.

Finally, unplug anything using the USB bus, as various XBox controllers, Webcam and other USB device drivers have been known to cause issues with LOTRO, but not ANY other game or program.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    Have you been through Hurins "One Guide", to make sure you have every weird thing the game needs, but doesnt install, or tell you about??

There have also been reports of the latest Win10 update buggering the game up; but that is almost de-rigour for Win10 these days.

Finally, unplug anything using the USB bus, as various XBox controllers, Webcam and other USB device drivers have been known to cause issues with LOTRO, but not ANY other game or program.
    Thanks again for replying. It wasn't anything you suggested, but I did figure out the problem.

I reinstalled Windows again, and reinstalled drivers one by one. Apparently there is something wrong with my motherboard's on board LAN, as soon as I plugged in the ethernet cable, it began to occur again, but it works fine on a wireless USB adapter that I have. I've ordered a PCI express network card, and hopefully won't run into the same issues.

Thanks again for replying. It wasn't anything you suggested, but I did figure out the problem.

I reinstalled Windows again, and reinstalled drivers one by one. Apparently there is something wrong with my motherboard's on board LAN, as soon as I plugged in the ethernet cable, it began to occur again, but it works fine on a wireless USB adapter that I have. I've ordered a PCI express network card, and hopefully won't run into the same issues.
    I've had the LAN port killed by M$ driver updates in the past; THREE Gigabyte boards all went the same way; however, I have also had issues with ZoneAlarm messing up the LAN driver install; so make sure (if you have ZA), that you disable it before installing the driver.