We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

A Breelanders role in the world

Hey everyone, so I am also about to play a bree lander. The problem is I don't know what class to make him that is lore friendly for a Bree Lander. Was there a type of Militia for them? Also I'm trying to come up with a motive for him to follow the main quest line. From what I read on the forums they are not really concerned with the outside world in a way, so what could be a reason for my character to leave and follow the story quests?

Quote Originally Posted by LOTOROCHOSENONE View Post
    Hey everyone, so I am also about to play a bree lander. The problem is I don't know what class to make him that is lore friendly for a Bree Lander. Was there a type of Militia for them? Also I'm trying to come up with a motive for him to follow the main quest line. From what I read on the forums they are not really concerned with the outside world in a way, so what could be a reason for my character to leave and follow the story quests?
    While Bree-landers might not have been prone to travel far from their villages, they do live at the crossing of two major roads, so they are quite used to strangers passing through and hearing tales from far-away places.
    As for the main quest line, for Men it starts with brigands threatening Archet, and by extension all of Bree-land. So investigating and taking action against these brigands would seem like a fairly natural thing to do - out of pure self-preservation if nothing else. Then one thing leads to another, and before you know it you taken the first step on a road leading to Eru-knows-where.

As for Militia the do have plenty of armed guards and such in the game - even though there is little to no evidence of such in the books.
    One could probably make a case for most classes, but the less magical the better they would fit lore-wise.

Guardians, Champions, Captains, and Wardens are all about equally appropriate lore-wise. Not exacly common in Bree-land, but someone choosing to take up weapons and eventually becoming skilled with them is not exactly implausible.

Hunters would fit in - it is seems highly unlikely that they wouldn't be doing any hunting in Bree-land.

Similar with Minstrels - in any larger community there will be some who sing and play music.

Thieves have existed for as long as Man-kind has, so a Burglar could also be easily justified - and if they are suspected of any crimes they have an excellent reason for going on a long journey.

Lore-masters would be harder to fit in lore-wise without lots of hand-waving.
    Rune-keepers and Beornings even more so, especially since normal Men and Hobbits can't be either.

And of course you don't have to have your gameplay class have anything to do with your RP role -- otherwise there'd be no farmers, no merchants, no stable-keepers, no cooks, no innkeepers, and none of virtually everything else that makes up the vast majority of the population of a village like Bree.

I will reiterate what HunterGreen said.

Some roleplayers keep their class and questing separate from their roleplaying, using ingame quests and classes only as a means to level so that they can roleplay in higher level areas of the game.

Some combine both at all times, using quests to help build their character's story.

Some fit between those two versions.

So, I would say just do what you enjoy most.

-Goldrush

i believe that man warden is the perfect class for a breelander
    then its burglars, captains, hunters ofc
    i d choose champions n guardians last but i d never roll Rk or LM as a breelander
    if not man go for hobbit, never elf or dwarf ofc

i have a man burglar breelander with a gondorian herritage for RP n a very nice story as backround
    a story that could easilly be a novel as a professor told me when i showed to her
    the reason i have burglar is coz we didnt had wardens in 2008........
    i compine my class, quests n epic in my RP
    20 years lotr enthousiast, 11 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Quote Originally Posted by LOTOROCHOSENONE View Post
    Also I'm trying to come up with a motive for him to follow the main quest line. From what I read on the forums they are not really concerned with the outside world in a way, so what could be a reason for my character to leave and follow the story quests?

There are a few good ways to go about handling getting your breelander involved in the world around him, and it highly depends upon the way in which you want to interpret the timeline of LOTRO Middle earth. Depending on where you are in the timeline, You very well could be in a Bree where Archet was burned down a decade ago, Angmar has been consistently trying to destroy bree and the rangers have all now gone south so what extra protection existed besides the Trestlebridge watch is now gone. In this timeline, Bree has become a dark place, perhaps darker then Tolkien might of imagined it, but that's the effect of RPing a story that took place in about a year across 11 years. In this timeline, it's super easy to get a character involved outside of Bree because Bree itself is at threat, so it forces action.

Then on the far end of the spectrum, you have people RPing the passage of time with the epic tale, thus meaning only a year has passed, the rangers have just recently left. And the Darkness and fear in Bree that Barliman describes to Gandalf when they return north would just start creeping into the hearts of the Breelanders. This is the harder timeline to get a breelander active in quests or plots with, but it's possible. Usually the easiest way to go about this is to have your character stumble across something too big for them. Find some Elves passing through the woods, talk to some dwarves that come through, interact with southern refugees headed north to flee the war. It doesn't really matter what it is and it doesn't need to be much, but it usually needs to be some spark given from an outside influence to encourage adventuring.

Those of course are the opposite ends, and there are hundreds of middle points between them, but it's important to remember that breeelanders are one of the least fleshed out groups that you commonly see, and for that reason there are no right or wrong answers. It's a lot of personal interpretation and guess work. So, the best plan is always find whatever answer you as the writer are the most interested in taking part in.

Quote Originally Posted by superbad310 View Post
    There are a few good ways to go about handling getting your breelander involved in the world around him, and it highly depends upon the way in which you want to interpret the timeline of LOTRO Middle earth. Depending on where you are in the timeline, You very well could be in a Bree where Archet was burned down a decade ago
    Not really, because trying to bring RL elapsed time into it like that would be a seriously weird thing to do.