We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Building a Computer for LOTRO

Firstly, if this has already recently been discussed somewhere and you can point me to that thread, please do. I did some looking and the most recent thread I could find was of about a year and a half ago, but I very well could have missed something else.

I'm doing some research on building a PC with playing LOTRO at the highest graphics primarily in mind. I'm planning on a budget around $1200, but that can be flexible. Can you give me examples of builds you have that are able to sustain play at the highest graphics levels? Or recommend a build, such as the "Great" or "Excellent" intel builds on pcpartspicker.com, that you think would work?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Garenex; Sep 08 2018 at 07:03 PM.

From what I have read over the years, Lotro only uses one core, so prioritize single-core speed. With a $1200 budget, I can't imagine you'l have a problem playing at max settings, so long as you don't blow it on a fancy case and cooling systems.

I've found this regarding single core performance:

Lotro-Wiki Editor; Maintaining: Stat caps

My PC is literally cobbled together from salvaged parts. Here is the spec:

Processor: i5-2400 3.1Ghz quad core
    Graphics card: MSI GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr III 448 cores 1280MB
    RAM: 8GB
    HDD: 500GB
    Power supply: 650W
    Optical drive: DVD-RW
    Operating system: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

LOTRO runs perfectly at 1080p with all settings on max/ultra and all antialiasing and lighting effects etc. I spent a max of £180 including keyboard/mouse/monitor, but some stuff was free like the graphics card. You can get one of these for about £30 though. With $1200 your PC will be able to laugh at mine
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

Building a PC for LOTRO is insane, as are the prices for those higher spec Intel cpus.

Build a Ryzen PC around either a 1000 or 2000 upper mid range series cpu, add a decent mid - range gfx card and a great screen.

DONT stint on the screen, you are going to be staring at it a lot.

If you game a LOT go for a TN tech screen

If you only play LOTRO or similar, and watch films, go for a IPS tech screen.

If you want to FPShooter game AND watch films, get a VA tech screen.

Dont fall for the 4K hype, you will need to spend many thousands to get a system that will game at a decent frame rate @4K.

Agreed: there’s no point going for mega high spec if max graphics on LOTRO is your ideal.

If I was building a PC with new parts for a budget like yours, I’d go for something like the Coffee Lake i3 8350k (stupidly good despite being an i3 as Intel have overhauled their processors - take a look at the Custom PC magazine review) and a GTX 1060 6GB plus 16GB RAM. It would run LOTRO whilst sleeping but also handle most modern and more demanding games well at 1080p too. Plus you can get the graphics card for about £250 (don’t know what the £/$ rate is currently). The processor is about £150 which is a bargain.

The only other essential I would go for is a SSD as it would cut down on loading times. This is my next intended upgrade for my own PC as the old HDD is letting it down at the moment.

Quite jealous actually; not built a new PC before. I rescued my mother in law’s old PC from three days of being out in the rain, then dried it out and it worked! Started upgrading it and now it is what you see above; only the motherboard and HDD remain as Windows costs a bomb and don’t want to buy Windows 10.

Good luck - I’d be interested to hear what you decide to get!
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

I do not know your affinity to computer building. Whether you build it yourself or not won't matter tho. Assuming that you will game at 1080p then I have two builds for you with enough wiggle room to tailor to your personal tastes. The facts are that Lotro is an old game stuck in 32bit software. Meaner and more expensive hardware won't necessarily mean better performance. I also agree with the previous poster with regards to the quality of the screen you will use. If you don't have something decent already then also go for a nice 1080p monitor. There are many high quality monitors for under 150$.

TL;DR

Intel Build - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QjzG29

AMD Build - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Cx4wD2

Both of these can play anything at 1080p on medium - high settings with bareable framerates. Lotro should be easy peasy.(don't quote me on that, Lotro is still old and the performance is not always guaranteed in practice).
    Vundrak - Rank 12 Reaver / Corruptpresent - Rank 11 Warleader / Corruptmedicus - Rank 8 Defiler / Kolostomy - Rank 9 Blackarrow : Landroval
    Rognomli - Rank 8 Guardian / Synexia - LvL 115 Hunter / Raiker - LvL 100 Minstrel / Lacet - LvL 100 Warden : Arkenstone

LOTRO is the only game I've played for the last several years, and the only one I foresee playing for several years to come, so if I can build something for much less than $1200 than that'll be awesome.

I am a noob when it comes to building a computer, as I've never done it before, which is why I'm taking it pretty slow and getting a feel for what's needed. I took a class on it, so I'm not starting completely from scratch, but this will be the first time I've put on together.

Avoid Nvidia cards, as they are known to have issues with crashing. Other than that, LotRO is pretty forgiving as far as a build.
    Also, Microsoft is going to stop supporting 32 next year, so there may be some changes on the horizon for LotRO if they shift to 64. I wouldn't spend too much on a build specifically for LotRO though. It runs great on my 5 year old machine still whenever I need to use that one. LotRO does like to hog memory sometimes, so make sure settings for cache are as open as you can do, and you have a good video card. Standard chip should be fine, get an SSD drive for faster processing, 8+ RAM, and I'd recommend an older version of windows (7 probably). It has less troubles than 8+ as far as glitches and crashing.
    Did I mention avoid Nvidia cards? Do that.
    Hellina: MIN, Amberwyn & Bankshot: HNT, Langnauriel: CHM, Trenzalor: LM Brookethorne & Mayhaw: GRD, Skaia: RK, Devalyn: BRG, Devalyne: CPT, Kyrjunna: BNG

Avoid Creative sound cards or built ins as well, they have driver issues off/on with this game for years. First the game breaks something then the drivers do...
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

This game runs the same even tho you have a gtx 1080ti or a 680 card.
    Any machine that can decently run windows 10 should be doable to run Lotro.

You have lags as this is server wide lag and optimizing problems rather than your own computer
    Commander Emaldiom [EN] Eldar - Challenger of Saruman - Lotro
    MrMidget - [EuW] League of Legends
    MrMidget2 - [EuW] League of Legends

Quote Originally Posted by NImlonda View Post
    This game runs the same even tho you have a gtx 1080ti or a 680 card.
    Any machine that can decently run windows 10 should be doable to run Lotro.

You have lags as this is server wide lag and optimizing problems rather than your own computer
    I will add to that, all a better gfx card does is give you a higher fps in areas that arent limited by the cpu. The fps not spots will give you the same useless fps regardless.

The not spots in Bree give the same results on my daughters ancient 775 board with a an asthmatic HD6670 as they do on my hexacore with a RX470-OC.

Agreed. My rather anemic laptop (Core i3, integrated Intel graphics) runs LotRO about as well as my main rig (Core i7, 16GB RAM, GTX1080)

I agree with all the above regarding performance. If however you have a budget that allows you to get something decent e.g the 1200$ you mentioned, then you should get something around that price range. Don't opt out for the cheapest stuff because if and when Lotro manages to make the jump to 64 bit instructions, the better rigs will truly begin to shine.

The true question when it comes to PC building is this: Does your current system allow you to game the way you want? If yes, then stay as you are, if not then get something else. With lotro it's hard to pinpoint which system can deliver the best experience. I have friends who run high end AMD 1st Gen Ryzen processors coupled with 350-400$ graphics cards and they still lag the same as I do in some instances.(poor me is still rocking a 2008 era Intel 2 quad).
    Vundrak - Rank 12 Reaver / Corruptpresent - Rank 11 Warleader / Corruptmedicus - Rank 8 Defiler / Kolostomy - Rank 9 Blackarrow : Landroval
    Rognomli - Rank 8 Guardian / Synexia - LvL 115 Hunter / Raiker - LvL 100 Minstrel / Lacet - LvL 100 Warden : Arkenstone

One to question I continue doing daily for key or there is no new set 120 with key