We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Show me that great community!

Dear all,

I understand this isn't exactly a question, but as someone who is only recently getting fully into Tolkien's world (having only read his Beowulf material, lectures and later his translation in the past) and deciding to fully jump into the MMO, I am very excited to get to know this great community I heard so much about before joining the game. As a current graduate student studying Archaeology, I am already surprised to see a number of other students being active players (steamers and such) and am very excited to get to know everyone else here!

Will be subscribing to VIP in a few days, when I am ready to sit down and create a character I really want to follow through (have one testing character already).

Tell me about yourself! Excited to be joining you all in Middle Earth!

I sure hope you enjoy your time in LOTRO. Rumors about nice community are quite correct, partly due to more mature audience.

Myself, I started playing because of Coursera's "Online Games: Literature, New Media, and Narrative"XD. Even though I've read LOTR for the first time some 30 years ago and been SF/Fantasy/anime/you name it fan for decades, MMORPGs somehow skipped my radar. All my friends were playing WoW and I preferred cosy RPG sessions.

Almost got PhD in Archaeology (long story) so I'm glad to see fellow scholar online
    Roaming Gladden since 2013

It's a great game. Of course, like every other MMO it has those "what are the devs thinking?" moments, but it's a great game.

Don't let the forum posts get you down. Jump in and enjoy the game. One piece of advice that I have is to don't worry about getting stronger or leveling or getting ahead. Just take your time and enjoy the game. It's a beautiful world with a ton of lore and detailed quest lines.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

If you want to meet a cooperative player base, you should choose a server which is as helpful as Landroval. If you are mostly interested in questing and lore (story), I do not recommend Arkenstone, Crickhollow or Brandywine, because the PvPers have gathered there. There are also two english speaking servers on the European side (Europe on US servers, that is), namely Evernight and Laurelin, the latter is a role playing server. There is a caveat on the technical side: you can move your characters from server to server for a fee (which is somewhat costly), but only from US to US server or EU to EU server, due to different data base setups.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Treufried, human Level 115 Lore Master, formerly from Maiar (DE), now on Belegaer
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Alexophor, human Level 115 Hunter, formerly a Nimrod, now on Landroval
    Awkward Animal Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval)

Quote Originally Posted by infide1castr0 View Post
    Dear all,

I understand this isn't exactly a question, but as someone who is only recently getting fully into Tolkien's world (having only read his Beowulf material, lectures and later his translation in the past) and deciding to fully jump into the MMO, I am very excited to get to know this great community I heard so much about before joining the game. As a current graduate student studying Archaeology, I am already surprised to see a number of other students being active players (steamers and such) and am very excited to get to know everyone else here!

Will be subscribing to VIP in a few days, when I am ready to sit down and create a character I really want to follow through (have one testing character already).

Tell me about yourself! Excited to be joining you all in Middle Earth!
    Welcome to LOTRO!

It is truth that here the community is more mature & there are a lot of educated people. You will be surprised how many because not everybody is likely to tell you that much details about their RL, unless they know you for a bit longer. Either way i hope that you enjoy your time sharing with us here. This game is ode to Tolkiens literature & will not deceive you.

~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~

Quote Originally Posted by Polymachos View Post
    If you want to meet a cooperative player base, you should choose a server which is as helpful as Landroval. If you are mostly interested in questing and lore (story), I do not recommend Arkenstone, Crickhollow or Brandywine, because the PvPers have gathered there. There are also two english speaking servers on the European side (Europe on US servers, that is), namely Evernight and Laurelin, the latter is a role playing server. There is a caveat on the technical side: you can move your characters from server to server for a fee (which is somewhat costly), but only from US to US server or EU to EU server, due to different data base setups.

Greetings, Polymachos
    All servers have PvPers, some more than others. However, unlike many open world games LOTRO's PvPers do not run around the world PKing others. LOTRO'S PvP is secondary to the PvE aspect and is limited to two PvP maps per server. Sometime, you will find players sparing in the open world; this is not PvP in its normal sense.
    Ujest - 115 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 95 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

*waves enthusiastically*

Hullo. I'm Meadowlarke Sweetweed, former chief of the Bounders of the Shire at Addernotch Station over on the Landroval server. Me and my three nephews are all Bounders.

I ran the station for 8 . . . 9 years. But I handed it over to Daffodilia when I return to my studies.

But, yeah, I've been about that long. Mostly, I am here on account of the great people I have met. Not only among the Bounders, but in the Shire Moot as well - which is a group of not-Bounders that we talk to as well, what came to the aid of the Shire in larger battles iffen help is needed.

It'd be good to have you about, no matter where you may happen to land your feet.

After all, I've always said, a stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

Meadowlarke Sweetweed
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group just starting Volume II, as we begin our adventures in Moria to help the dwarfs reclaim the mine from the orcs (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow).