We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New LotR MMO -- how will it affect LotRO?

If you haven't seen the news already, there is another LotR MMO in the works by apublisher called Athlon Games. Cordovan has apparently given a statement saying they welcome the competition and it won't affect LotRO's future development or licensing,

What do we think: can they exist alongside, or will this be another Star Wars Galaxies -> The Old Republic scenario?

For myself, I would probably continue to play both. But a new MMO is likely to steal a good portion of the playerbase. Could this lead to SSG not having enough income to keep the game running?

Obviously, this has only just been announced, so it will be a long time before release.

Edit: apparently the president of Athlon Games is Dave Miller, who has worked at Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment and, intriguingly, Codemasters (LotRO's old European distributor).

The companies should merge and make the bestest Lotr mmo of all time!
    Brethwyn Bearsbane of House Breddinga [100-Guardian]
    Hygweard of Rohan, High Protector of Bree-Land and Lord of Emyn Uial
    Children of the Sun - Gilrain

All this new LOTR stuff is set in a DIFFERENT time period so stop the biblical proportion stuff already.

https://youtu.be/q0POXW4V1_k
    It is logical, in view of the times in which we live. But to be logical is not to be right, and nothing on God's earth could ever make it right!
    - Judge Dan Haywood

The new MMO is set in an alternative universe of Middle-earth, where unicorns, dinosaurs, and vampires are not uncommon.

And it will have many, many new posts about the same topic! We are almost pre-building its wiki, cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidster View Post
    And it will have many, many new posts about the same topic! We are almost pre-building its wiki, cool.
    Don't get me wrong, these influential posts might as well shape the landscape of the new game. When you have an established and loyal playerbase of Tolkien's universe, it is only common sense to listen to them when you make a new game.

Question

Seriously how many of these threads are needed ??? This is another game by another company.

Imagine going into General Motors and start advertising for Subaru. Or go into one nightclub and hand out flyers and spread rumors of another nightclub that will open and potntialy try draw customers away. You'd be thrown out. I think it's really big of SSG to let us even discuss this in one thread, but now it's like 3 threads in this forum and even thread in BR forum etc.

I mean freedom of speech is something I believe deeply in, but one thread is enough for that. Not to mention that freedom of speech is only between citizens and the state. Not private property or private companies. I agree that places like YouTube, Fakebook, Instagram and such should not silence or censor opinions, as they advertise as being a platforem and forum for the people/users. It's even called YouTube as in Yours/the customers/users. However this is SSG's forum about their game The Lord of The Rings Online. Be happy they let us have one thread. If people keep pushing this they might delete or close them all.

Edit: There is acctualy FOUR theads about this in this forum section now. Talk about people always having to push stuff until actions might be taken to stop it all.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Sep 06 2018 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by randomguy259 View Post
    If you haven't seen the news already, there is another LotR MMO in the works by apublisher called Athlon Games. Cordovan has apparently given a statement saying they welcome the competition and it won't affect LotRO's future development or licensing,

What do we think: can they exist alongside, or will this be another Star Wars Galaxies -> The Old Republic scenario?
    Not likely. Star Wars Galaxies ended because LucasArts didn't want any competition for TOR, not because SOE couldn't compete with TOR. The idea was to force Galaxies players to jump to the new game. I would still be playing Galaxies if it were up and running, but I have never touched TOR and never will, because I have no interest in the Old Republic era. Since these 2 LOTR/ME games will apparently be in different eras, I don't think there is as much competition as the doomsayers want.

Quote Originally Posted by randomguy259 View Post
    For myself, I would probably continue to play both. But a new MMO is likely to steal a good portion of the playerbase. Could this lead to SSG not having enough income to keep the game running?

Obviously, this has only just been announced, so it will be a long time before release.

Edit: apparently the president of Athlon Games is Dave Miller, who has worked at Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment and, intriguingly, Codemasters (LotRO's old European distributor).
    Again, not worried about the competition, as they will be in two different eras. Also need to consider, the new game is aimed at consoles. Personally, I can't stand console gaming, and I truly abhor PC games that emulate console gameplay. That alone will keep me from playing the new game, and probably a number of other players as well. You also have to factor in the IP. LOTRO, for all its flaws and concessions to MMO gameplay, is run by devs that have a demonstrated respect for the IP and Tolkien's vision. There is absolutely zero guarantee the new game devs will respect the IP, and if the Middle-earth gaming track record of the past decade or so is any indication, I seriously doubt they will. This new game reeks of taking whatever the popular flavors of the month are, blending them, and slapping a ME veneer on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymore View Post
    All this new LOTR stuff is set in a DIFFERENT time period so stop the biblical proportion stuff already.

https://youtu.be/q0POXW4V1_k
    So what? Both of these games will be set in Middle-Earth, both of this games are mmos.

What do you mean so what? I'm pointing out that people panic and predict doom for LOTRO because another LOTR themed MMO may be coming down the pike at some time in the future. It's not even set in the Hobbit/Fellowship time.
    It is logical, in view of the times in which we live. But to be logical is not to be right, and nothing on God's earth could ever make it right!
    - Judge Dan Haywood

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Raymore View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yafga View Post
    So what? Both of these games will be set in Middle-Earth, both of this games are mmos.
    What do you mean so what? I'm pointing out that people panic and predict doom for LOTRO because another LOTR themed MMO may be coming down the pike at some time in the future. It's not even set in the Hobbit/Fellowship time.
    I agree.

Yes both are MMO's but both are not MMO RPG's, not as of the info released so far anyway.

MMO only means You can hook up with a MASSIVE amount of players and do MULTIPLAYER missions together or versus each other ONLINE. Looking at other games they have published even WarFrame is not really an MMO RPG like WoW, LoTRO etc. You are in hub areas and then do chose to do missions solo or in small groups. It's not really an open huge world to explore with thousands of players running around. That being said, maybe this will be their first mmo RPG in the style of WoW, LoTRO etc but that is not what it has been specified as, not yet anyway. Just an MMO and that they are experienced in developing and publishing MMO's with coop capability (like warframe and other shooters).

Even WarThunder is advertised in trailers/ads as an MMO. A game where You basically play on maps to capture or defend points like in Overwatch, Battlefieldsbor such games. Just with tanks instead of characters.

That being said, maybe this will be their first mmo RPG in the style of WoW, LoTRO etc but that is not what it has been specified as, not yet anyway. Just an MMO and that they are experienced in developing and publishing MMO's with co-op capability (like warframe and other shooters).

It seems alot of people immediately draw comparisons to LoTRO and even calling it LoTRO 2 etc. It might well become that. However so far it can become something completely different from the little info released. People seem to draw alot of premature conclusions based on assumptions left and right. As with alot of games before release, need I mention No Mans Sky etc, some people are so quick to hype up something to just be dissepointed later. I'm more of the cautious type and don't take anything for granted. That saves me from dissepointments later down the road.

Maybe it will be awesome. Maybe it will be cr@p. Maybe it will be an MMO RPG. Maybe it will just be an MMO but nothing like WoW, LoTRO etc. Wait and see before getting all hyped. Just saying.