We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Whohoho,

New Middle Earth Online game will crush LOTRO as SWTOR killed SWG!
    Finally the beginning of the end! Hurry and get your horses and cosmetics from the Store and sit in a zone and lag with only a dozen people on screen!

Let's be real LOTRO has been nothing but a glorified chat channel with beautiful scenery for YEARS now...
    Jimi's Mash

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfoot View Post
    Get rid of the loot-boxes, spend resources to optimize the game and do extensive class balance work or you won't stand a chance.

> On the first subject - Loot Boxes <

I don't know why you people always going on about the loot-boxes. It's not like it's that big a deal. If you don't feel like using them, don't. I personally can open a loot box a day and not speed a dime if I'm so inclined. You can get more than 200LP/day by just rolling a character and blowing through Erid Luin, Bree or (slower) Shire.

The LOTRO store coin accumulation in this game is really generous compare to any other game I've ever seen. You can literally make thousands of points off one character just playing. So it's not like keys cost money (unless you feel like spending money). If someone feels like spending money, that's their business not your business. Personally, I don't mind spending money now and then on whatever I'm in the mood for (horses, stat boxes, keys, cosmetics, mithril) because it helps to keep the game alive, and I want the game to continue.

It's a mostly non-PVP MMO so it's not like you're winning anything by being more awesome faster, you just get more awesome faster. There's nothing to win, unless you mean winning as in being able to contribute more tanking, damage or healing to/for your group... I suppose that's winning.

> On the second subject - Optimization <

I'm pretty sure that there are constant resources dedicated to this. The 64-bit client will help with that whenever they get it.

> On the third subject - Class Balance <

Is like a never-ending SAGA that has been going on for 11 years... and will likely always get goofed up especially where the level cap raises as they try and keep the classes in line with whatever their internal goals are.

> On the fourth subject - Won't stand a chance <

The game is in development. Look at how many games go into development and never make it to release. Then look at how many games that make it to release are successful. Then look at how many games that have been released and were successful are still operating 11 years later.

Now taking this further... imagine the overall land mass and number of quests and zones available in LOTRO at present. Now look back at the landscape content of Shadows of Angmar which is about how much a new MMO might have if your lucky. If I'm in the mood to run a character up through the levels and stop my leveling to stay at various content levels, I could play a new character for weeks or months here and still not hit level cap (depending on my available time).

> Final note <

LOTRO has been continuously updated for over a decade. During that time we got 2 new races, 3 new classes (1 is technically a race), a revamp of the music system, a semi-revamp of the housing system, cosmetic clothing, cosmetic weapons, radiance, removed radiance, restored radiance as shadow without any of the benefits, war-steeds, skirmishes, epic battles, more events than you can shake a stick at, tons of beautiful landscapes, some really dreary landscapes, 5 epic stories, instances, raids, etc., etc., etc... it's not like Turbine/SSG hasn't really been improving the game.

Having started in early beta I can say this game has changed dramatically over the years. Not every idea has been the best idea, or not the way I might have done it, but within the technical capabilities of a ancient engine like G3/Havok it's a wonder they get half the things done they are trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Melywen View Post
    Whohoho,

New Middle Earth Online game will crush LOTRO as SWTOR killed SWG!
    Finally the beginning of the end! Hurry and get your horses and cosmetics from the Store and sit in a zone and lag with only a dozen people on screen!

Let's be real LOTRO has been nothing but a glorified chat channel with beautiful scenery for YEARS now...
    If we're being real, I've been having fun playing a new high-elf lore-master through the game following the epics from zone to zone and clearing the zone as I pass through. I'm still having fun and that's all that matters to me. In my recent travels I've see quite a few people playing in zones across Middle Earth.

I hardly see a comparison. First off the new Middle Earth game is set in a totally separate timeframe. Second, you know next to nothing about it. Third it's at least 2 and probably more years away from release (if it even makes it to release - many MMOs don't). Finally, it is entirely possible that both games will continue to be licensed as it's more money for rights holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexeus0 View Post
    I love how anyone is speculating without consider, or give second thought that actually might be a "mobile game", which btw could actually be.

Whether you like LoTRO or not at this current state, this game is well established for many moons already and unless this... "game company" is famous, you know companies like Blizzard, Bungie, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, Microsoft Studios and so on, even IF there's 2 LoTR MMO's in the making I wouldn't worry too much.

- 20 bucks this will be a mobile game.
    Well it clearly states its for PC and consoles, so you can donate that 20 bucks to a good cause.

Secondly, if this new company makes a success of a Tolkien based MMO that outstrips SSGs version in both playerbase and revenue, why would SZ and Middle Earth enterprises keep giving SSG the rights to the LOTR story when they are doing a bang average job of it and has shipped players in their droves over the last few years when they have another company making a roaring success already with a Tolkien based licensed game waiting in the wings?

Now I am not saying that will happen this new game could well be a complete failure, but that developers current game warframe is doing very well, averages 66k a day on steam and thats not including console and non steam players, lotro averages 670 ish, 100x times less and isnt on consoles either, so IF and I stress IF this new game does as well as warframe is (and warframe doesnt have a new high profile TV show to aid it along) then it most definitely WILL compete with LOTRO both in terms of lotros playerbase and in terms of where SZ will want his licence to be used.

Lets be honest the timeframe this game is said to be aimed at (3rd age, pre war Hobbit war of the ring era) is very limited, so at some point if the new game is to have longevity it will have to move into new ages, if its goes 1st and 2nd age like the Silmarillion, it will very much appeal to the current lotro players, potential new lotro players and lotro players who have left long ago, if it has to expand into the current games era it will have to do so at the expense of this game as I do not see SSG paying out for licence that isnt exclusively theirs anymore.

But all of that is a long way off, if you still play lotro, enjoy it, if you are excited about the new one then happy days as well.

LOTR based... bah, EverQuest is LOTR based. Kelethin city of Woid Elves built up in trees on platforms. Rivervale is a Shire in all but name, and all that.
    New game being FTP means it will be heavily monetized. Anyone thinking LotRO gonna lose out to that other game because of lootboxes should do a reality check.

Speaking of EverQuest... still runs and makes money despite being almost 20 years old. Why should it be different for this game?

Can't wait for this game.To play another LOTR game,but with modern graphic and well optimize game.
    But it will probably take two years since alpha stage,and probably 3 before launch

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-King View Post
    I'm very glad to hear that and thanks for the update. I hope LOTRO remains around for a very long time. I was very worried after reading the following article, so you may want to get your Marketing or PR team out ahead of articles like this.

https://www.game-debate.com/news/257...in-development
    I'd take that site with a boulder of salt, given we're only weeks away from a large update that includes a level cap increase, two new regions, new instance cluster, and more.

-Bel
    Belnavar - Captain - 120 - Brandywine

Originally Posted by Herwegur View Post
    1. Anyone who thinks the players are the customers, read this again. Given a choice between Kate Paiz on steroids vs indie team realizing their vision, what would you pick? (Rhetorical) Two very different approaches and markets.

2. Now it is up to SSG not to alienate the ones still sticking around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyfoot View Post
    1. That's an interesting thing to say, especially since this game has gone more P2W since it became an "indie team realizing their vision" than the 10 years before.

2. Best case scenario is that this lights a fire up their you-know-what. Up until know they've been coasting on the fact that they've been the only game in town, that is set to change.
    That is why I mentioned that my juxtaposed question was rhetorical. But the meaning was: compare vanilla SoA to Turbine under WB circa 2013 , versus LotrO treading water in 2016 to SSG-managed game, to see which time frame witnessed a more drastic escalation in intrusive player milking. Kate Paiz monetized the "always free" Epic quests under Helms Deep, FFS.

The lootbox gambling SSG keeps sustaining and feeding as "endgame activity" might sink them in the long term, now that a new Tolkien MMO is on the rise. Short-term gains vs players jumping ship to flee the grind. With the big corporate backing though, the new MMO might be an even more blatant cash grab - catering to, by their own admission, to dedicated gamers/casual LotR fans, whereas SSG Lotro has the lore and worldbuilders as its biggest attractive asset (casual gamers/dedicated lore fans). Looking at some past SSG managerial decisions (how the Mordor release was handled, ash grind reversals, raid steeds in lootboxes [which was the final straw for me as a paying patron, btw] ), I legitimately hope they wake up and smell the coffee.
    (But tbh SSG blunders come across as mere cluelessness from not playing their own game enough to get the playerbase pulse -hence more adaptive to feedback and I do believe they're trying to be more engaging and forthcoming, whereas the Turbine-Paiz regime was relentlessly bulldozing after a corporate business model and employed a thuggish cm to circle their wagons on discussion forums to boot.)
    Éalá Éarendel engla beorhtast,
    ofer middangeard monnum sended,
    ond sóð
    fæsta sunnan léoma,
    torht ofer tung
    las, þú tída gehwane,
    of sylfum þé symle inlíhtes!

-
    "Leaving the game plan is a sign of panic, and panic is not in our game plan." - Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by Ponytail View Post
    > On the first subject - Loot Boxes <

I don't know why you people always going on about the loot-boxes. It's not like it's that big a deal. If you don't feel like using them, don't. I personally can open a loot box a day and not speed a dime if I'm so inclined. You can get more than 200LP/day by just rolling a character and blowing through Erid Luin, Bree or (slower) Shire.

The LOTRO store coin accumulation in this game is really generous compare to any other game I've ever seen. You can literally make thousands of points off one character just playing. So it's not like keys cost money (unless you feel like spending money). If someone feels like spending money, that's their business not your business. Personally, I don't mind spending money now and then on whatever I'm in the mood for (horses, stat boxes, keys, cosmetics, mithril) because it helps to keep the game alive, and I want the game to continue.

It's a mostly non-PVP MMO so it's not like you're winning anything by being more awesome faster, you just get more awesome faster. There's nothing to win, unless you mean winning as in being able to contribute more tanking, damage or healing to/for your group... I suppose that's winning.
    I'd just like to point out that this doesn't address any of the actual, substantive, thoughtful criticisms of the F2P business model (and its latest iteration, lootboxes). For a more detailed rebuttal, I refer you to my post history over the last several years.

--H

Quote Originally Posted by Arabani View Post
    As far as I understand the new game will follow the incoming TV-Series. And I bet it will be an action Destiny/Warframe like game with some sort of combat sessions between standing in the main hub/town.
    We don't know any of that. We don't know what time period the Amazon series covers, and we don't know that the Athlon game will cover the same period. Anyone saying so is literally making it up out of nowhere.

Why do people insist on spreading rampant speculation on a product that is still years away as if it's reliable reporting of facts?
    Arda Shrugged - Elendilstone / Landroval / Anor

This is like a dream come true for me : )

Lotro has been lackluster to anything but landscape and lore for many years for me.
    Now that the lore part will get some serious competition , it will be interesting to see if SSG will finally 'fix' their game to survive.
    Fixing includes a variety of things , most notably client performance and more polished content.
    Sure , the new game will most likely follow a different time frame , certainly different that current Lotro's , in order to take advantage of the series hype , but Lotro has finished most of the third age , and with no ring and no Sauron , there's not too many iconic locations and lore left to explore.

Best case scenario for me , would be being able to enjoy both games at the same time.

However , the part of me that represents my conspiracy restleness , makes me think that there is 0 chance SSG was unaware of this , due to their long license bonds and contacts.
    I wouldn't be surprised if 1-2 years from now , we find out some SSG devs have moved to the new game and we have friendlyhat making the other-game minstrel bolster spam again.

Quote Originally Posted by miriadel View Post
    if you read the caption of the articles linked, you'll read it is a game for PCs and consoles. how does that make it a mobile game?

https://wccftech.com/new-middle-earth-mmorpg-coming/
    Doesn't matter. Console MMOs are equally unplayable.
    Elven Adventuress UI ~ Newbie Guide To Playing LotRO

what do you mean "unplayable". Tell that to FF14, it performs very smoothly on PS4.
    My Lotro blog :)

It will be interesting to see how, when (and if) this new game goes live. For me, LOTRO was my second MMO and I tend to stick with a game once I get into it. I look forward to many more years of LOTRO gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverangel View Post
    Doesn't matter. Console MMOs are equally unplayable.
    That's news to me, because Neverwinter, ESO, Star Trek Online and DC Universe are all playable and run smoothly on the PS4.

Quote Originally Posted by miriadel View Post
    what do you mean "unplayable". Tell that to FF14, it performs very smoothly on PS4.
    What I *don't* mean is the ability to move a toon around in a game world with a controller and use skills without losing frame rate.

I went and looked up Warframe, and I was impressed with the Steam reviews until someone said "There is NO auction house." Between that and console, I didn't need to read any more.

I can't even play ESO, which is best of breed. The UI is horrible, very few skills, and no acceptable AH either. FXI:ARR I leveled to 50, but that was it.

Please continue with the Kool Aid party.

Quote Originally Posted by Comstrike View Post
    The holding company doing this is largely unproven, based in Hong Kong, and seems hardly more than a low-bidder aiming to make a promotional tie-in to the new Amazon Series.
    . . . and if you read their 2017 financial statement on their website -- they only got out of the Chicken business in 2016!
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (108)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (120)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (107)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nexeus0 View Post
    I love how anyone is speculating without consider, or give second thought that actually might be a "mobile game", which btw could actually be.

Whether you like LoTRO or not at this current state, this game is well established for many moons already and unless this... "game company" is famous, you know companies like Blizzard, Bungie, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, Microsoft Studios and so on, even IF there's 2 LoTR MMO's in the making I wouldn't worry too much.

- 20 bucks this will be a mobile game.
    In various statements they imply that it will be a CONSOLE game first (X-box), and maybe simultaneously relased for PC, then adding in some mobile platform (I forget which one.) Just read the Chairman's statements in the Annual report and on their website.

Val - Man Minstrel (108)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    . . . and if you read their 2017 financial statement on their website -- they only got out of the Chicken business in 2016!
    This is pretty normal in China, actually. Oink oink.

NetEase, one of China’s biggest game companies is expanding into the Pork business

I figure a lot of time will elapse before this new game sees daylight. A lot can happen before then, from the death of LOTRO due to advanced old age to the pulling of the plug on this new game's development for whatever reason. Or SSG could pull its own rabbit out of the hat and announce a LOTRO-2.

I'm surprised that Tolkien Estates is giving out info on a second LOTRO MMO while LOTRO is still active -- quite the change in style from Christopher Tolkien's iron-fisted ways. Not yet sure if that's a Good Thing™ yet. Time will tell, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    I'd just like to point out that this doesn't address any of the actual, substantive, thoughtful criticisms of the F2P business model (and its latest iteration, lootboxes). For a more detailed rebuttal, I refer you to my post history over the last several years.
    Sadly, what you are calling "loot boxes" are very much here to stay.

According to Super Data Research about 2 months ago stated:

"Fortnite Has Made Over $1B: Revenue Comes Entirely From In-Game Purchases"

And Fortnight is a F2P game!

Val - Man Minstrel (108)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Spectus View Post
    I'm surprised that Tolkien Estates is giving out info on a second LOTRO MMO while LOTRO is still active -- quite the change in style from Christopher Tolkien's iron-fisted ways. Not yet sure if that's a Good Thing™ yet. Time will tell, I suppose.
    The Toliken Estate has nothing to do with either the License for LOTRO or this new MMO -- the License comes from Middle Earth Enterprises.
    And, Christopher Tolkien resigned from the board of Tolkien Enterprises back in 2016.

Val - Man Minstrel (108)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

All about the fun!"

When considering time frames keep in mind ... Athlong Games was only created in May of 2018 - 4 months ago.

The fact that it is owned by the same company which owns Warframe (Digital Extremes) and Dirty Bomb (Splash Damage) looks good on paper and impresses investors and license grantors -- does not produce a single line of code. Yes, it has allowed Lyeou to go to the Stock Market and raise US$31,171,000 (equivalent to approximately HK$243,000,000) one year ago - in September and October of 2017. But only time will tell how successful they are in the Game business when compared to their past history in the Chicken business (which they sold off in 2016).

According to Reuters: "Leyou Technologies Holdings Limited is an investment holding company principally engaged in the manufacturing and trading of chicken meat products. The Company operates through four business segments. The Chicken Meats segment is engaged in the slaughtering, production and sales of chicken meat. The Chicken Breeds segment is engaged in the hatching of broiler eggs and breeding of parent stock day-old chicks. The Animal Feeds segment is engaged in the production of feeds. The Gaming segment is engaged in the development, operation and retailing of on-line games. The Company is also involved in the provision of marketing support services, as well as the breeding techniques consultancy services of aquatic products through its subsidiaries."

Obviously, Reuters hasn't updated the company's profile recently.

Val - Man Minstrel (108)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Araphorn View Post
    What? You singled out a race without really giving any good reason (apart from saying you don't 'like' them, which pretty much qualifies as racist), and when people call you out on it, you get angry.

If you don't want people to bait you, then stop using nonsense racist statements.
    You do realize that the poster DID state a specific reason for not liking Asian style MMOs, right? Put differently, the poster got singled out for expressing an opinion without any racist connotation. Then you tell him or her that they shouldn't use nonsense racist statements (which they didn't). Perhaps we all can be a bit less quick to judge as the forums already have an air of toxicity potentially resulting in less diverse opinions and feedback.

As for the new game, I will definitely keep my eyes and ears open for reviews! I don't plan on leaving LOTRO any time soon either way (no reason I can't play both).

Another computer game for folks to inevitably complain about? yay If you read the Diablo 3 forums, all the complaints there, you would think it was one of the worst action rpg's of all time, instead of one of the best selling. The more popular a computer game is, the more successful it is, the larger the audience it will have. The larger the audience, the more gripers there will be out to complain. And it's not to say complaints are or are not legit, just that the pool of complainers, as a percent of the total people who play it, will grow as the overall population grows.

LOTRO under SSG seems to have been doing well, they're hiring more devs to make (according to some of the dark clouds above me) worse? With that expanding LOTRO player pool, so expands the complaint pool. I suspect many who complain on these forums will be complaining on the new game's forums if it ever 1) has a forums, 2) has a beta, and 3) goes live. And if it doesn't get forums or fails to go live, I guess the nay-saying-lotro-died-11-years-ago will come to these forums to complain about the other game. Maybe even blame lotro for that other game failing, man I can't wait to hear that one.

I for one will be MAJOR LEAGUE COMPLAINING on the new game's forums that it doesn't stink as bad as LOTRO It has to be at least as bad if not worse than LOTRO otherwise i don't know the point of why its devs would make it. Cause all devs, Bliz devs according to the D3 forums, SSG devs according to the fear fire foe crowd here, and the new games devs, they're just in it for a shoddy job and cheap buck, right, just like you all out there live to do a minimal effort act for your jobs?

The computer gaming market, the MMO market, hardly has any competition. I mean, we're all forced to play LOTRO because there's barely any competition for our time, that's how it has been able to do so well over the years. Myself, I'm locked in a 7' by 7' room in my great grand aunt's, half removed, basement ... only let out once a week to walk a feral lynx that hates me and wants to claw my eyes out. Do have internet and a nice gaming rig though. Microwave and mini freezer stocked with frozen pepperoni pizza helps too. Anyways, I'm sure this new upstart will REALLY SHAKE THINGS UP since there's barely any computer game, let alone general competition for our entertainment, time and money out there xoxoxo
    other favorite middle-earth games: The One Ring RPG by Cubicle 7; LotR: The Card Game by FFG; Hobbit/LotR Strategy Battle Game by GW

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast