We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wes4mu089 View Post
    A few things to note:

The company is based out of California. They do have an active linked in profile, that is linked to several executives of this new company. From the ones that I was able to give a good look over, it appears that the majority of this talent is coming from Warner Brother Interactive, the people responsible for the Shadow of Mordor / War series, and Batman Arhkam Series.

I imagine that a lot of people will have mixed feelings on this, because we already know with Shadow of War series that lore got put on the back burner in a lot of ways. On the flipside, the gameplay was solid, and the storytelling (at least in my opinion) was still great if even it didn't follow total accuracy to the lore.

The president of the company was the head of marketing for Warner Brothers Interactive, and was responsible for all the production/marketing for Shadow of Mordor series. And given the names I'm seeing on the executive level, I would not be surprised at all if much of the development team also has roots from Warner Brothers Interactive as well.

This news will likely be controversial and polarizing, but if the game does turn out to be a true "MMO", I am definitely excited to see what comes of it. The project I have no doubt will come and be finished. I can't see them cancelling this. LOTR is too valuable an IP right now, with Amazon's billion dollar deal on a TV series, and Jackson even in talks about recreating the original trilogy, and of course recent popular titles such as Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War that have brought back the IP back into the mainstream light. THere is great potential for money to be gained here, and it is a far less risky project than taking on a new IP.

Whether the game will be good or not on the otherhand... who knows?

I think what they need to do if they are to try and co-exist with LOTRO is take more of a "Sandpark" approach, and include open world PVP. Lots of people are interested in MMOs with these offerings, and it won't take away from the crowd that really enjoys LOTRO and is invested in a much more themepark PVE setting.

In either case. It'll probably be an eon before we hear any real information about what this game is going to be, but I am hopeful that it is a new MMO. I love the Tolkien Universe... but I've been spoiled with modern gaming that coming back to LOTRO (which feels very dated now) is hard for me to do.
    They didn't call it an MMO so why assume even for a second it might be one? The MMO craze is long since over, the gaming landscape has been left littered with the corpses of failed MMOs. They said co-op, and that'd imply something more akin - in broad terms - to the original Guild Wars (which some people likewise insisted on calling an MMO even though it wasn't one and wasn't marketed as one either), Borderlands (either one), Destiny (either one), Warframe (which I have a feeling is a model they are very likely to try to emulate because it's known to work) or Anthem. That seems to be where the money is going nowadays - cooperative multiplayer action games and ARPGs.

And don't say how much you love Tolkien's work in one breath while suggesting inflicting open world PvP on it in another. Middle-earth would be utterly wasted on that sort of PvP, because such gameplay has no use for storytelling or a detailed background. PvP is its own narrative, of a sort (a tale of sound and fury, signifying nothing), best kept in its own space out of the way of the real story.

"Jackson even in talks about recreating the original trilogy,"

WHAT!!!?
    Hunter & alts on Snowborne since 2007, now on Evernight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kheld_GB View Post
    "Jackson even in talks about recreating the original trilogy,"

WHAT!!!?
    I took that with a big pinch of salt, even given Hollywood's habit of rebooting everything that moves nowadays that seems a bit soon, to put it mildly...

No big news (yet) but just noticed that Middle-Earth Enterprises have updated their 'Current Licensees' page to include Athlon Games

http://www.middleearth.com/current-licensees.html

They seem to have updated the whole site, though I think it could look a bit better in 2018, they are still using a non-secure connection Anyway here is something funny I discovered : when you go to MEE Community page there are 3 links,

theonering.net link, MME twitter profile link, and a link to a ' LOTR FORUMS ' , I thought I checked this one because I was curious and when I clicked on the link I was redirected ....HERE, on the LOTRO Forums Kind of nice our boards are considered important enough to be used a main link on MEE , so remember to behave...the world is watching us

http://www.middleearth.com/community.html

I think the Middle Earth site links are broken. This thread has been a heck of a read and I am looking forward to playing another LOTR online game alongside this one. I currently play Shadows of War but I am almost done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    Not interested. After 19 years off MMOs, LOTRO is the last one for me. They are all the same. You like it at first and then get upset at how the game changes over time, and they all do. Every last one of them, from Eve Online to ULTIMA Online.
    I saw that this thread came back so I checked to see what I said in it, and I pretty much feel the same as before. I went back to Wolrd of Warcraft and Start Trek Online to see what other MMos are doing, and it's the same microtransaction strategy in those games as well as here. And it's blatant too. To be fair though, neither game had something as "in your face" as the lootboxes here in LOTRO.

I cannot see this new MMO being any different.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    .... Start Trek Online to see what other MMos are doing, and it's the same microtransaction strategy in those games as well as here. And it's blatant too. To be fair though, neither game had something as "in your face" as the lootboxes here in LOTRO.
    Seriously? LotRO loot boxes are 'in your face' and STO isn't?

Both STO and Neverwinter (ARC games) have loot box openings splashed across the screen and in the general chat channel every 5 seconds. 'Joe Bob got a Shiney when he opened X box' that's not in your face? Loot boxes here just show up in your inventory and if someone does open one NO ONE ever knows about it. Nothing in the chat channel or splashed across the screen. LotRO loot boxes are just something that's there, but no one else has to put up with it if you decided to open it. Not very 'in your face' in my book.

Well, there is that weird sound that ends with a fanfare which reminds me of a defunct chinese MMO, but yes, they don't spam the chat with it.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Treufried, human Level 120 Lore Master, formerly from Maiar (DE), now on Belegaer
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Alexophor, human Level 120 Hunter, formerly a Nimrod, now on Landroval
    Awkward Animal Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Minas Tirith under attack!

Everyone else keeps calling this an MMO but it was officially only announced as an online game. No MMO, no massively, no RPG can be found anywhere in their press release.
    Varkking - Dwarf Rune-Keeper - Syndicate - Anor Server
    Moderator of Lord of the Rings On Prime Subreddit.

Quote Originally Posted by Varkking View Post
    Everyone else keeps calling this an MMO but it was officially only announced as an online game. No MMO, no massively, no RPG can be found anywhere in their press release.
    We must be reading different press releases then.

Athlon Games is partnering with Middle-earth Enterprises, to develop and publish a free-to-play massively multiplayer online video game based on The Lord of the Rings
    http://www.files.services/files/359/...1859121_en.pdf
    Arda Shrugged - Elendilstone / Landroval / Anor

Quote Originally Posted by gildhur View Post
    We must be reading different press releases then.

http://www.files.services/files/359/...1859121_en.pdf
    The press release from Athlon Games itself reads differently.

http://www.athlongames.com/athlon-ga...h-enterprises/

There's two of them one from Leyou and one from athlon, game is being made by both companies they are partners, however it isn't clear yet its an MMO, cause both say different things, guess we know more later when they give more info on it.
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    There's two of them one from Leyou and one from athlon, game is being made by both companies they are partners, however it isn't clear yet its an MMO, cause both say different things, guess we know more later when they give more info on it.
    Okay, but if one says "online game" and the other says "free-to-play massively multiplayer online video game", it's pretty safe to assume the more detailed information is accurate, especially since F2P MMOs are a subset of online games. One is just a more specific description than the other.

Okay, but if one says "online game" and the other says "free-to-play massively multiplayer online video game", it's pretty safe to assume the more detailed information is accurate, especially since F2P MMOs are a subset of online games. One is just a more specific description than the other.
    The reason I am sceptical is because what, to them, defines what a MMO is. Is a Diablo style game considered an MMO to them? Warframe, the one game that has been developed by this company is an online multiplayer game but it is not an MMORPG. There was a lot of debate out this on the Steam store but the game there does not fall under the MMO category tag.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/230410/Warframe/

Other sites sometimes refer to the game as an MMO and then others do not. The game can be played right now on most missions with a total group of four players on a map, and on the bigger raids you can have 8 total players.

Digital Extremes, who helped develop and publish Warframe refers to the game on their about page as "free to play action game"

https://www.digitalextremes.com/about

And the wiki also reads as "free to play, third person shooter".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warframe

This is why I am skeptical that the game is actually going to be a true MMO. It also, now knowing that there were multiple press releases, doesn't give me positive feelings seeing that the two companies couldn't just release a join press release like most other companies do to show that both companies are on the same page. Having no more than 8 people on a single map together doesn't spell MMO to me.

Question

Last edited by Androhir; Feb 22 2019 at 10:04 PM.

Yeah the whole thing is kind of weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    (a tale of sound and fury, signifying nothing)
    I had no idea there was a Macbeth MMO in the pipeline ...
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

For some companies, 'massive' starts with sixteen players on the same map. So, it could as well be yet another of these currently popular Battle Royale games. Only that the market is already established, each of the competitors has already their share of players, there won't be more as they already found their favorite game, and Apex Legens just ran them all over, sccoping up those who had still been hesitant and will now join their ranks. If this company was actually thinking of a Middle Earth Battle Royale, I hope that they will fail even harder than Warner Brothers with their Infinite Crisis. Middle Earth is no place for Battle Royale trash.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Treufried, human Level 120 Lore Master, formerly from Maiar (DE), now on Belegaer
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Alexophor, human Level 120 Hunter, formerly a Nimrod, now on Landroval
    Awkward Animal Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Minas Tirith under attack!

Quote Originally Posted by Polymachos View Post
    For some companies, 'massive' starts with sixteen players on the same map. So, it could as well be yet another of these currently popular Battle Royale games. Only that the market is already established, each of the competitors has already their share of players, there won't be more as they already found their favorite game, and Apex Legens just ran them all over, sccoping up those who had still been hesitant and will now join their ranks. If this company was actually thinking of a Middle Earth Battle Royale, I hope that they will fail even harder than Warner Brothers with their Infinite Crisis. Middle Earth is no place for Battle Royale trash.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Played Infinite Crisis from Alpha until it went dead. They even gave me on the way our some really cool pro Infinite Crisis baseball tees, a comic signed by Geoff Johns and Jim Lee and some posters as a parting gift. The game failed because of animation and animation lag. On too many of the characters, like Sinestro, you would press a button and then have to wait a half a second before he would start to use it. And then once it hit the enemy it took time for it to register rather than being instant. It made the game feel sluggish and unplayable and they knew this. Battle Royal games and even a MOBA for the Tolkienverse doesn't seem likely because of how anti-PvP the estate seems. This would have to be another online-coop game where you don't kill other players. When you break it down like that you then have to think about how far along LOTRO is and then listen to the press release where this upcoming game says it will be set in places we have yet to explore in Middle Earth. There doesn't seem like that much connected land in bulk is left on our maps and then it doesn't give me much hope that the game world is going to be massive.

Quote Originally Posted by Varkking View Post
    Played Infinite Crisis from Alpha until it went dead. They even gave me on the way our some really cool pro Infinite Crisis baseball tees, a comic signed by Geoff Johns and Jim Lee and some posters as a parting gift. The game failed because of animation and animation lag. On too many of the characters, like Sinestro, you would press a button and then have to wait a half a second before he would start to use it. And then once it hit the enemy it took time for it to register rather than being instant. It made the game feel sluggish and unplayable and they knew this. Battle Royal games and even a MOBA for the Tolkienverse doesn't seem likely because of how anti-PvP the estate seems. This would have to be another online-coop game where you don't kill other players. When you break it down like that you then have to think about how far along LOTRO is and then listen to the press release where this upcoming game says it will be set in places we have yet to explore in Middle Earth. There doesn't seem like that much connected land in bulk is left on our maps and then it doesn't give me much hope that the game world is going to be massive.
    from what you say i can only think about 1st age n Beleriand n that is a really big map lot bigger from what we have see in LotRo till now!
    https://www.reddit.com/r/lotr/commen..._middle_earth/
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Quote Originally Posted by Valakircka View Post
    from what you say i can only think about 1st age n Beleriand n that is a really big map lot bigger from what we have see in LotRo till now!
    https://www.reddit.com/r/lotr/commen..._middle_earth/
    That's a nice map!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

The only problem I see with a setting in the 1st, 2nd or early 3rd age is the extremely low detail. The only time period that Tolkien's works is filled in is the War of the Ring period. Everything else is 100's of years apart. So if they do try a game in the 1st, 2nd, or early 3rd era, there would have to be greater creative freedom. And greater creative freedom could be a good thing, or a terrible thing (Looking at you Shadow of War/Shadow of Mordor)

Quote Originally Posted by Polymachos View Post
    Well, there is that weird sound that ends with a fanfare which reminds me of a defunct chinese MMO, but yes, they don't spam the chat with it.

Greetings, Polymachos
    THAT'S what that noise is! Someone did that about half a dozen times in the Bree crafting hall yesterday and I wondered what the heck was going on! It's really annoying, but then it's the first time I've heard it in over a year, so it isn't that bad.
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

UPDATE: As I expected, Amazon Games is now working with the developers on the new LotR MMO.

https://massivelyop.com/2019/07/10/t...d-console-dev/
    Last edited by gildhur; Jul 10 2019 at 03:01 PM.

UPDATE: As I expected, Amazon Games is now working with the developers on the new LotRO MMO.

https://massivelyop.com/2019/07/10/t...d-console-dev/
    Old news. We have know this for a year now.

More is better.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast