We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
    Quote Originally Posted by wes4mu089 View Post
    A few things to note:

The company is based out of California. They do have an active linked in profile, that is linked to several executives of this new company. From the ones that I was able to give a good look over, it appears that the majority of this talent is coming from Warner Brother Interactive, the people responsible for the Shadow of Mordor / War series, and Batman Arhkam Series.

I imagine that a lot of people will have mixed feelings on this, because we already know with Shadow of War series that lore got put on the back burner in a lot of ways. On the flipside, the gameplay was solid, and the storytelling (at least in my opinion) was still great if even it didn't follow total accuracy to the lore.

The president of the company was the head of marketing for Warner Brothers Interactive, and was responsible for all the production/marketing for Shadow of Mordor series. And given the names I'm seeing on the executive level, I would not be surprised at all if much of the development team also has roots from Warner Brothers Interactive as well.

This news will likely be controversial and polarizing, but if the game does turn out to be a true "MMO", I am definitely excited to see what comes of it. The project I have no doubt will come and be finished. I can't see them cancelling this. LOTR is too valuable an IP right now, with Amazon's billion dollar deal on a TV series, and Jackson even in talks about recreating the original trilogy, and of course recent popular titles such as Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War that have brought back the IP back into the mainstream light. THere is great potential for money to be gained here, and it is a far less risky project than taking on a new IP.

Whether the game will be good or not on the otherhand... who knows?

I think what they need to do if they are to try and co-exist with LOTRO is take more of a "Sandpark" approach, and include open world PVP. Lots of people are interested in MMOs with these offerings, and it won't take away from the crowd that really enjoys LOTRO and is invested in a much more themepark PVE setting.

In either case. It'll probably be an eon before we hear any real information about what this game is going to be, but I am hopeful that it is a new MMO. I love the Tolkien Universe... but I've been spoiled with modern gaming that coming back to LOTRO (which feels very dated now) is hard for me to do.
    They didn't call it an MMO so why assume even for a second it might be one? The MMO craze is long since over, the gaming landscape has been left littered with the corpses of failed MMOs. They said co-op, and that'd imply something more akin - in broad terms - to the original Guild Wars (which some people likewise insisted on calling an MMO even though it wasn't one and wasn't marketed as one either), Borderlands (either one), Destiny (either one), Warframe (which I have a feeling is a model they are very likely to try to emulate because it's known to work) or Anthem. That seems to be where the money is going nowadays - cooperative multiplayer action games and ARPGs.

And don't say how much you love Tolkien's work in one breath while suggesting inflicting open world PvP on it in another. Middle-earth would be utterly wasted on that sort of PvP, because such gameplay has no use for storytelling or a detailed background. PvP is its own narrative, of a sort (a tale of sound and fury, signifying nothing), best kept in its own space out of the way of the real story.

"Jackson even in talks about recreating the original trilogy,"

WHAT!!!?
    Hunter & alts on Snowborne since 2007, now on Evernight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kheld_GB View Post
    "Jackson even in talks about recreating the original trilogy,"

WHAT!!!?
    I took that with a big pinch of salt, even given Hollywood's habit of rebooting everything that moves nowadays that seems a bit soon, to put it mildly...

No big news (yet) but just noticed that Middle-Earth Enterprises have updated their 'Current Licensees' page to include Athlon Games

http://www.middleearth.com/current-licensees.html

They seem to have updated the whole site, though I think it could look a bit better in 2018, they are still using a non-secure connection Anyway here is something funny I discovered : when you go to MEE Community page there are 3 links,

theonering.net link, MME twitter profile link, and a link to a ' LOTR FORUMS ' , I thought I checked this one because I was curious and when I clicked on the link I was redirected ....HERE, on the LOTRO Forums Kind of nice our boards are considered important enough to be used a main link on MEE , so remember to behave...the world is watching us

http://www.middleearth.com/community.html
    Amorey
    Laurelin Archives Webteam

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9