We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryam View Post
    Perhaps, he's dismissing First Age while only thinking of the early wars of Morgoth vs. the Valar parts of the Silmarillion ("that is more gods and monsters"), not realizing the Noldor revolt and return to Arda and the wars in Beleriand are still First Age, which works with there being no humans as well, because that leaves about 310 years before the Edain (proto-Numenorians, and even later Dunedain) enter the area and are discovered by Finrod, but really could include all the later part of the First Age, and the no playable human characters would be to avoid how weak they are compared to the Elves of the era. Nothing "depth" wise will be lacking with Sons of Feanor type Noldor elves running around, player killing other elves.

“You won’t see human characters from The Lord of the Rings in our game"

Well..."human characters from The Lord of the Rings" = Aragorn, Boromir etc probably ^^ It doesn't mean that there are no humans at all. The Lord of the Rings is set in a very short period of time...
    The race could be "Númenórer" or sth idk but I think humans will be an option.
    Last edited by Hildilas; Sep 07 2018 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hildilas View Post
    “You won’t see human characters from The Lord of the Rings in our game"

Well..."human characters from The Lord of the Rings" = Aragorn, Boromir etc probably ^^ It doesn't mean that there are no humans at all. The Lord of the Rings is set in a very short period of time...
    The race could be "Númenórer" or sth idk but I think humans will be an option.
    The quote is following:

Miller said that the company’s game will focus on an era before Men came along

It isn´t about lotr characters, it is about whole race of men.

But you might have the point that in his eyes Numenoreans might be a different race. Still, in their time there are also common men.
    Ich bin kein Deutscher, sorry für Grammatik
    Eglish isn't my native language, sorry for mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by Estelrandir View Post
    The quote is following:

But you might have the point that in his eyes Numenoreans might be a different race. Still, in their time there are also common men.

hmhm okay I've only read this quote in an interview.." before Men came along" could also mean: Before men got important ;D...anyway this also includes Hobbits No humans, no hobbits- What's left? A few kind of elves and a few kind of dwarves? Beornings? Eagles xD? Ents? "Tom Bombadil"`?
    Orrr a good and evil system like WOW.

And a fighting system that HAS to work on consoles which means that we won't have 3-6 skill bars but 1-2 ... This isn't even speculation becaus a skill bar based fighting system does not work on consoles. This automatically makes the fighting system more action based and less tactical.
    Last edited by Hildilas; Sep 07 2018 at 05:30 AM.

It's of no surprise to me that Athlon Games are making a LOTR based game, have you seen who and when the company was formed by

I'm actually thinking a bit of inside knowledge on the licence aspect was already there for them to put any sort of proposal forward.... Los Angeles-based Athlon Games is a newly formed publisher headed up by industry veteran Dave Miller, formerly of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Codemasters and NBC Universal.

Quote Originally Posted by Estelrandir View Post
    The quote is following:

Wrong. That's not a quote.

The actual quote is “You won’t see human characters from The Lord of the Rings in our game,” Miller said.

The editor of the article misinterpreted that statement, chose to focus on the first half of the statement, and misinterpreted it as: "You won't see human characters in our game."

It seems based on this misinterpretation that they then asked Miller the natural follow-up of "Is it was set in the First age then?", to which Miller didn't give a definitive "no" but seemingly ruled it out: “I would not say it’s ‘First Age’ because that is more gods and monsters. I don’t want to say too much about our game yet.”

Anything not in direct quotation from Miller is the editor's personal assumptions based on the quotes Miller gave. They could have explicitly asked him for clarification of "Does this mean there are no human characters at all?", but it's clear from the article the editor got derailed by thinking too hard about the First Age, The simarillion, the fall of Gondolin etc.
    Leader of The Rangers of Eriador

Lotro is finally coming to end, which is sad.

I installed it again after 2 years, just for curiosity, and I realize that the game has the same issues, lag, dead pvmp, lack of players etc...

The point is, Amazon and Warner will sell everthing possible thing to expose the new show, and probalbly the new MMO is about that.

So, let it be.

RIP LOTRO 2019/2020.

Very corect, furthermore You saw daybreaks investment plan cord post? They Milk us to make a h1z1 for mobile for 10year old Kids. Also cord And gms cover up rank farmers on evernight , cord says talk to. Gm, Then diplo said its not his work to read forums.
    Rip lotro.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Treliarhs View Post
    Very corect, furthermore You saw daybreaks investment plan cord post? They Milk us to make a h1z1 for mobile for 10year old Kids. Also cord And gms cover up rank farmers on evernight , cord says talk to. Gm, Then diplo said its not his work to read forums.
    Rip lotro.
    Yeah and the moonlanding was fake and Elvis is still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Corinthians View Post
    Lotro is finally coming to end, which is sad.

I installed it again after 2 years, just for curiosity, and I realize that the game has the same issues, lag, dead pvmp, lack of players etc...

The point is, Amazon and Warner will sell everthing possible thing to expose the new show, and probalbly the new MMO is about that.

So, let it be.

RIP LOTRO 2019/2020.
    Even if this did happen, I still get 13 years of fun out of a game. Still not bad at all.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Brya View Post
    Wrong. That's not a quote.

The actual quote is “You won’t see human characters from The Lord of the Rings in our game,” Miller said.

The editor of the article misinterpreted that statement, chose to focus on the first half of the statement, and misinterpreted it as: "You won't see human characters in our game."

It seems based on this misinterpretation that they then asked Miller the natural follow-up of "Is it was set in the First age then?", to which Miller didn't give a definitive "no" but seemingly ruled it out: “I would not say it’s ‘First Age’ because that is more gods and monsters. I don’t want to say too much about our game yet.”

Anything not in direct quotation from Miller is the editor's personal assumptions based on the quotes Miller gave. They could have explicitly asked him for clarification of "Does this mean there are no human characters at all?", but it's clear from the article the editor got derailed by thinking too hard about the First Age, The simarillion, the fall of Gondolin etc.

Ok, you have point. Because, well, you wouldn´t sell rights to someone who obviously has no idea about IP and that was the strangest thing in my eyes. But if the editor has no idea, that´s something else.
    Ich bin kein Deutscher, sorry für Grammatik
    Eglish isn't my native language, sorry for mistakes

If the license is from Middle-earth Enterprises, as it seems to be, it is still restricted to Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. They will infringe that license if they, for example, use the Blue Wizards ‘Alatar’ and ‘Pallando’ from Unfinished Tales, without separate permissions (see the remarkably verbose license disclaimers in the rulebook for the 1990s Middle-earth collectible card game of the 1990s, which did use those names with permission). So Silmarillion material (including a map of Beleriand) is out, and the most likely setting would be the early Third Age wars of Arnor and Gondor as described in the Appendices.

But I consider it just as likely that the ‘lore’ of this project will have as much to do with Tolkien’s world as the Middle-earth: Shadow of War/Mordor games, which in historic detail and themes are really some other fantasy world’s story with some Tolkien names like Shelob grafted onto very different characters*. The game might be fun to play, exciting, and graphically beautiful. But it will not offer the obviously loving _attempt_ to portray JRRT’s world (however limited) that LotRO offers.

*Near as I can tell, Shelob, appearing as a beautiful but menacing human woman has obtained the Ring of power that the shade of Celebrimbor and his human Ranger host have forged to challenge Sauron. This Ring enables the hero to mind-control the Orcs (including the comic-relief orcs and the minstrel orcs) in the battle for Minas Ithil. In the immortal words of Anna Russell, “I’m not making this up, you know!”
    Last edited by mpu; Sep 12 2018 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpu View Post
    *Near as I can tell, Shelob, appearing as a beautiful but menacing human woman has obtained the Ring of power that the shade of Celebrimbor and his human Ranger host have forged to challenge Sauron. This Ring enables the hero to mind-control the Orcs (including the comic-relief orcs and the minstrel orcs) in the battle for Minas Ithil. In the immortal words of Anna Russell, “I’m not making this up, you know!”
    Leaving Shelob very much aside (what were they thinking?), there are some Tolkienesque concepts in there. Celebrimbor could in theory have become a vengeful ghost following his death (Tolkien's term for this is a Houseless fëa - spirits of Elves who'd refused to go to the Halls of Mandos after their death) and yes, those were able to possess the living so yes, another Ring of Power could thus be made. This vengeful shade of Celebrimbor could perhaps make a Ring directly intended as a weapon against the Enemy (he'd have had lots of time to think about it) and yes, Orcs could be mentally enslaved by someone powerful enough (just like Sauron did - he was just way better at it) so those fundamentals aren't so bad. As for what they actually did with those concepts and the general substance of those games, though... oh dear.

Website updated with a map: http://www.athlongames.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfoot View Post
    I was just about to post that

This is a very interesting change.

The Middle-Earth Enterprises page is still not updated, but then again it is still showing copyrights credits for 2017 so it seems they are not really looking after their website very much.
    Amorey
    Laurelin Archives Webteam

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfoot View Post
    And that's a typical late Third Age map (it's got Rohan on it), but then it's probably just stock so I wouldn't read too much into that.

It is obviously just a placeholder, also not just 'Middle-Earth' but 'The Realm of Middle-Earth' and not 'Realms' , just a bit odd.
    Amorey
    Laurelin Archives Webteam

"co-op" they say… by the way it's written sounds like a Fortnite kind of game, especially since nowhere it says RPG. But then, Fortnite, or Warframe kind of game don't have "exploration" as one of their main goals so… the heck kinda game is this gonna be XD
    My Lotro blog :)

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    And that's a typical late Third Age map (it's got Rohan on it), but then it's probably just stock so I wouldn't read too much into that.
    If it's stock, it's not online anywhere else. Google finds no results of that map on a reverse image search. An article from 9/12 on a Tolkien fan site has a larger version of the Athlon map somehow. http://elanillounico.com/athlon-game...-tierra-media/

Other than for marketing, why would a game company commission the creation of a map unless it covers playable area in their game?
    Arda Shrugged - Elendilstone & Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by gildhur View Post
    An article from 9/12 on a Tolkien fan site has a larger version of the Athlon map somehow. http://elanillounico.com/athlon-game...-tierra-media/
    Not a bad map, but I'd like to see a bit more detail.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

Quote Originally Posted by gildhur View Post
    An article from 9/12 on a Tolkien fan site has a larger version of the Athlon map somehow.
    There's no mystery about that, just save a copy of the page from the Athlon website locally and then view the background image. I've got it in front of me right now.

Other than for marketing, why would a game company commission the creation of a map unless it covers playable area in their game?
    If they want to evoke the idea of Middle-earth and it's way too early for them to have got any concept art or promo artwork done, then a map is the obvious thing to stick on the website as a placeholder. Wherever they got it from.

Quote Originally Posted by miriadel View Post
    "co-op" they say… by the way it's written sounds like a Fortnite kind of game, especially since nowhere it says RPG. But then, Fortnite, or Warframe kind of game don't have "exploration" as one of their main goals so… the heck kinda game is this gonna be XD
    F2P co-op is how they describe Warframe, but I'd be inclined to call that an ARPG (as in an action game with some RPG-lite elements to it).

so here's something from a Middle Earth Enterprise representative answering a person's e mail. Basically said the new MMO will co-exist with lotro. I dunno, I want to be optimistic, but then there is the SWG/SWTOR precedent that happened.

https://massivelyop.com/2018/09/17/m...-will-be-fine/
    My Lotro blog :)

Quote Originally Posted by miriadel View Post
    so here's something from a Middle Earth Enterprise representative answering a person's e mail. Basically said the new MMO will co-exist with lotro. I dunno, I want to be optimistic, but then there is the SWG/SWTOR precedent that happened.

https://massivelyop.com/2018/09/17/m...-will-be-fine/
    It might be easier to imagine if you stop thinking of it as an MMO, as that isn't what they've said the game would be: they're calling it co-op (i.e. just plain multiplayer) and that's not the same thing.

A few things to note:

The company is based out of California. They do have an active linked in profile, that is linked to several executives of this new company. From the ones that I was able to give a good look over, it appears that the majority of this talent is coming from Warner Brother Interactive, the people responsible for the Shadow of Mordor / War series, and Batman Arhkam Series.

I imagine that a lot of people will have mixed feelings on this, because we already know with Shadow of War series that lore got put on the back burner in a lot of ways. On the flipside, the gameplay was solid, and the storytelling (at least in my opinion) was still great if even it didn't follow total accuracy to the lore.

The president of the company was the head of marketing for Warner Brothers Interactive, and was responsible for all the production/marketing for Shadow of Mordor series. And given the names I'm seeing on the executive level, I would not be surprised at all if much of the development team also has roots from Warner Brothers Interactive as well.

This news will likely be controversial and polarizing, but if the game does turn out to be a true "MMO", I am definitely excited to see what comes of it. The project I have no doubt will come and be finished. I can't see them cancelling this. LOTR is too valuable an IP right now, with Amazon's billion dollar deal on a TV series, and Jackson even in talks about recreating the original trilogy, and of course recent popular titles such as Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War that have brought back the IP back into the mainstream light. THere is great potential for money to be gained here, and it is a far less risky project than taking on a new IP.

Whether the game will be good or not on the otherhand... who knows?

I think what they need to do if they are to try and co-exist with LOTRO is take more of a "Sandpark" approach, and include open world PVP. Lots of people are interested in MMOs with these offerings, and it won't take away from the crowd that really enjoys LOTRO and is invested in a much more themepark PVE setting.

In either case. It'll probably be an eon before we hear any real information about what this game is going to be, but I am hopeful that it is a new MMO. I love the Tolkien Universe... but I've been spoiled with modern gaming that coming back to LOTRO (which feels very dated now) is hard for me to do.
    The Legacy
    Heavy Role Playing Kinship
    Landroval Server

That looks a lot like ICE's MERP map, in the level of the detail. I should know, I have several of the MERP books in my bookcase, replete with maps that could make a semi-contiguous map of at least the Western lands and the lands of Gondor.
    Hir i Meigol Bruinen/High Council Member of the EoI/Of the Exiles of the Hidden City/Meigol Bruinen, Uncle Seregnin's Misguided Children, Curse the name of Maeglin, the Treacherous Villain, forever, may he rot in the Halls of Mandos for all time....
    Player Councillor. http://www.swtor.com/r/XWNQXP is my refer-a-friend link for SWTOR.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast