We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 232
  1. #1

    New LOTR-based MMO

    http://leyoutech.com.hk/athlon-games-inc

    Leyou Technologies Holdings Limited is pleased to announce the establishment of the Group’s new publishing brand, Athlon Games, Inc.

    Athlon Games is partnering with Middle-earth Enterprises, to develop and publish a free-toplay massively multiplayer online video game based on The Lord of the Rings, the landmark fantasy literary work of J.R.R. Tolkien. Set in the world of Middle-earthTM during the years leading to the events of The Lord of the Rings, the game will provide Middle-earth fans throughout the world with a new, immersive game experience for epic exploration of the Tolkien universe.

    For further details, head over to company’s announcement here.

    http://www.files.services/files/359/...1859121_en.pdf

    - - - - -

    Considering SSG's other title DDO also has another studio (Cryptic) that works on the D&D brand, I think it's fine?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    676
    Hey they used to be a poultry supplier, who knows maybe they'll keep chicken play.
    Last edited by Inkling; Sep 04 2018 at 05:09 AM.

  3. #3
    Was googling who Athlon is - btw: AMD manufactured CPUs of that name, too - and found the following.

    Maybe it is not the same company, but they are spot on.
    http://www.athlonmediagroup.com/games/

    According to https://wccftech.com/new-middle-earth-mmorpg-coming/, the game will take place in a different timeframe - looks like they are piggybacking on the WB/Amazon tv show. And that is all that they would tell at all...


    Greetings, Polymachos
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Awkward Anomalities Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Minas Tirith under attack!

    Scared people tend to follow the flock, no matter which shepherd it has

  4. #4
    It's sad news..or no? I don't know what am I feeling...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    The City of Light
    Posts
    642
    It says this is the company that owns Warframe. From what I heard about that game (mostly very positive in terms of monetization and catering to fans), this could be really good news for LOTR fans.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Joetzim View Post
    It says this is the company that owns Warframe. From what I heard about that game (mostly very positive in terms of monetization and catering to fans), this could be really good news for LOTR fans.
    +10, Agreed.

    I wonder at what point the peeps at SSG will start to squirm...
    Last edited by Skyfoot; Sep 04 2018 at 06:54 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    308
    Just saw the announcement on another site myself.

    I think I understand now why WB allowed the game to be taken from them, there were plans within plans scheduled ahead for quite some time it seems.

    Pity, because I may seldom play, but I really like Lotro's team vision for this game.
    Arequain Belechael, Legate of Celosien, Minas Brethil, Lebennin

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyfoot View Post
    +10, Agreed.

    I wonder at what point the peeps at SSG will start to squirm...
    Doubt they will start anytime soon. I've tried warframe but it wasn't for me, too flashy, and I imagine not many LotRO players will make the switch either if they enjoy LotRO's slower combat and grouping. Not even mentioning that it will essentially have 11 years less development time, the playing area is either gonna be localized to gondor or something like that, or be segmented so that they can squash as many iconic locations in there. Say farewel to walking from Bree to Mordor.

    Not really optimistic this isn't gonna be a 'generic fantasy mmo' instead of a lotr one, say all you want about SSG's lore accuracy with Christopher gone the entire estate is focusing more on making cash than accurate portrayals of JRR's vision. Looking forward to seeing flying wizards droping from the sky to fight dragons.

    Not blaming the dev's or anything, MMO development has become redicilously expensive, and making a game for the lowest common denominator ensures the best returns, but expecting this to be a 'lotro but better' is going into this with the wrong expectations.
    The road goes ever on.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    12,733
    Interesting. I wonder how that will pan out. Worth a look when it hits for sure.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.


  10. #10
    Just came here to post that.

    But the big question is what does this means for Lotro? Will the game keep it's license or it will close?

    What will happen to lotro?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronimli View Post
    1...the playing area is either gonna be localized to gondor or something like that, or be segmented so that they can squash as many iconic locations in there. Say farewel to walking from Bree to Mordor.

    2...but expecting this to be a 'lotro but better' is going into this with the wrong expectations.
    1. And that assumption is based on what, exactly? I mean, I was being snarky about SSG squirming, but at least I'm not donning a tin foil hat (this early) and claiming what is or isn't going to be in the game.

    2. The only expectation I have is that someone other than SSG will be developing a new LOTR based MMORPG. That alone is enough is to pique my interest.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Olore Malle
    Posts
    965
    good luck to the company and the new project. If it truly comes to light, I hope this new game will have zero lag issues, zero memory leaks and that it runs stable on our pcs. If this new game turns out to be decent and engaging, then yes we may start to worry for 11 yo lotro
    My Lotro blog :)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by Belechael View Post
    Just saw the announcement on another site myself.

    I think I understand now why WB allowed the game to be taken from them, there were plans within plans scheduled ahead for quite some time it seems.

    Pity, because I may seldom play, but I really like Lotro's team vision for this game.

    Dunno whats going to happen go lotro when it gets released, but I don't mind, SSG has not fixed performance issues that we been having for years. They released bugged content like Mordor cluster , and put so much p2w in the game. I welcome a new lotro..

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gallifrey. I need a Jelly Baby.
    Posts
    21,333
    Not interested. After 19 years off MMOs, LOTRO is the last one for me. They are all the same. You like it at first and then get upset at how the game changes over time, and they all do. Every last one of them, from Eve Online to ULTIMA Online.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

  15. #15
    Since the new game is going to be in a different timeframe, I don't see how it will affect LOTRO that much.
    It might be fun to play BOTH games. We will have to wait and see which areas of Middle Earth the new game will include. I expect they will have that big battle where Aragorn's ancestor refused to destroy the ring, but what else? Shire fun before Bilbo left on his adventure? I sure hope that's included.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    Not interested. After 19 years off MMOs, LOTRO is the last one for me. They are all the same. You like it at first and then get upset at how the game changes over time, and they all do. Every last one of them, from Eve Online to ULTIMA Online.
    Isn't change true of everything? Most of all the person's view.


    This new MMO won't pop up overnight even if they have 500 employees dedicated to it.

    Also it won't have MoL
    "That what is explicitly two, can at the same time be implicitly one."

    Alan Watts

  17. #17
    it is not about the timeframe, it is about the license. Can both games being MMOs and have a license for using the middle earth setting?
    If no, doesn't this spell doom for lotro?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    The City of Light
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronimli View Post
    Doubt they will start anytime soon. I've tried warframe but it wasn't for me, too flashy, and I imagine not many LotRO players will make the switch either if they enjoy LotRO's slower combat and grouping. Not even mentioning that it will essentially have 11 years less development time, the playing area is either gonna be localized to gondor or something like that, or be segmented so that they can squash as many iconic locations in there. Say farewel to walking from Bree to Mordor.

    Not really optimistic this isn't gonna be a 'generic fantasy mmo' instead of a lotr one, say all you want about SSG's lore accuracy with Christopher gone the entire estate is focusing more on making cash than accurate portrayals of JRR's vision. Looking forward to seeing flying wizards droping from the sky to fight dragons.

    Not blaming the dev's or anything, MMO development has become redicilously expensive, and making a game for the lowest common denominator ensures the best returns, but expecting this to be a 'lotro but better' is going into this with the wrong expectations.
    I expect this to be very different from LOTRO. It will be like modern Eastern MMOs: very flashy, very action-y, fast-paced. I don't think the LOTRO population will be affected at all. If LOTRO is even still around when this launches... if they are just starting development, it could be years and years away.

    There is nothing I hate more than the high fantasy BS that is present in most MMOs. Riding giant bunnies to war, etc. It's really obnoxious and it completely kills immersion. That is my bias and keep this in mind as I say the following.

    What Tubrine-SSG is doing is equally repulsive. This company sacrifices everything on the altar of lore-appropriateness. Gameplay and fun is nothing to them. If something is supposed to be dull and tedious and ugly and repulsive according to the books, that's what they deliver. They don't care that it ruins the fun. They don't care that everybody hates the content. It's how it is in the books, guys, swallow it! They treat this game like some kind of holy mirror that must 100% reflect the source material. They are only forgetting that the books (and maybe even the films) are timeless. Many future generations will enjoy them. They are fun in and of themselves, on their own merit. This game is NOT timeless. It will just shut down sooner or later and it's over. It has no value like the books or even the films. It has no merit of its own. LOTRO's only purpose is to entertain and be fun while staying as close to the source as possible, but not at the detriment of fun. Because the only usefulness, the only merit this game can ever have consist in the fact that players enjoy it and they feel like they are in Middle-earth. If it's dull and tedious and ugly, just to be very accurate, it's pointless.

    The devs must get off their high horses and realize they are not artists. Sorry.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,381
    A few points before anyone gets too excited/upset about this.

    If they are just starting to work on this new game it will take at the very least three years before it is released, assuming they are putting some real effort into it.

    Another thing to note is that the world is riddled with game projects that were canceled before they were ever released. So just because a company is starting to work on a game it doesn't mean it will ever be released.

    For those complaining about p2w in LOTRO - well, since this proposed new game is going to be designed as an f2p game I expect it to have a quite intrusive cash shop. The amount of p2w is likely to be much greater than it is in LOTRO.

    While one can always hope otherwise, I doubt the developers will pay nearly as much attention to the lore in the new game as the developers of LOTRO did.


    In short, yeah it is an interesting announcement, but in the short term it is not going to change anything at all. Long term we can only guess how it is going to pan out.
    My guess is that this project will be canceled a year or two down the line without ever seeing the light of day.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CANADA
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by sapienze View Post
    Isn't change true of everything? Most of all the person's view.


    This new MMO won't pop up overnight even if they have 500 employees dedicated to it.

    Also it won't have MoL
    All good points, and all very, very true !

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,553
    Quote Originally Posted by miriadel View Post
    good luck to the company and the new project. If it truly comes to light, I hope this new game will have zero lag issues, zero memory leaks and that it runs stable on our pcs. If this new game turns out to be decent and engaging, then yes we may start to worry for 11 yo lotro
    I wouldn't mind seeing an alternate take on Middle-Earth to play around in. I doubt my own computer would run it though, I'd need to invest in a new one.

    Something to keep an eye on, for sure.
    “All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Joetzim View Post

    What Tubrine-SSG is doing is equally repulsive. This company sacrifices everything on the altar of lore-appropriateness.
    On the contrary, they are not all that strict with the lore.

    Riding goats? Apart from being ridiculous, it is not at all lore-appropriate.
    Rune-keepers? Far too much overt magic too be lore-appropriate.
    Dwarves trying to retake Moria mere weeks after the Fellowship passed through? Not according to the lore.
    Being able to teleport across the map in mere moments? Not possible in the lore.
    Etc., etc.

    Turbine and now SSG have bent the lore quite a bit in a large number of places - all in the name of improving gameplay and fun.
    Last edited by ertr; Sep 04 2018 at 08:46 AM.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post
    For those complaining about p2w in LOTRO - well, since this proposed new game is going to be designed as an f2p game I expect it to have a quite intrusive cash shop. The amount of p2w is likely to be much greater than it is in LOTRO.
    And this is based on what? If it goes by the same ethic blue print as it's other title, Warframe, it will be far less intrusive than LotRO.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinara View Post
    Since the new game is going to be in a different timeframe, I don't see how it will affect LOTRO that much.
    It might be fun to play BOTH games. We will have to wait and see which areas of Middle Earth the new game will include. I expect they will have that big battle where Aragorn's ancestor refused to destroy the ring, but what else? Shire fun before Bilbo left on his adventure? I sure hope that's included.

    Unless its a success, which WILL draw players away from Lotro, pull in a load of new players that LOTRO has never been able to do and grab the attention of all the players that have left LOTRO in recent years and starts making a load of cash, at which point Middle Earth enterprises will have a decision to make, renew the licence with SSG and LOTRO split with this new game separated by the start of the 3rd age or give complete use of it to someone who is going to make more money from it.

    People here may not like the modern version of the MMO but it is undeniably popular with the new generation of gamers, LOTROs playerbase has dropped rapidly over the years and has now somewhat stabilised, the players that remain play LOTRO because they love LOTRO and dont care for the Warframe style of game, but they are in the minority these days and SZ and his company are always going to go with the path that provides the most revenue.

    That said, it isnt going to happen any time soon and LOTRO is very much towards the end of its life and story than its beggining so maybe the two events, LOTRO sailing west and this new game awakeing on the shores of Cuiviénen, will coincide nicely.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,605
    I would think LotR fans would be all MMOed out by now. If not sticking to the lore, what is there to separate this game from any other generic MMO?

    I also wonder what they mean by "times before LotR". First, second or third age?

 

 
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload