We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Is there a trick to the egg scramble?

I pretty much avoid this quest because I have never been able to complete it, but I decided to give it a try again today. I know about hitting <delete> followed by <u> to pick up the eggs but clearly there is more at work going on. I would say at least 3-4 times I watched as I was the first one to an egg, had started the pick-up induction, only to have another player run up behind me and successfully grab the egg instead. Their induction time seemed to be half the length of mine.

The game felt responsive, and I wasn't aware of any lag. I saw this happen before I picked up any "bad" eggs, so I couldn't have been under some kind of debuff the whole time. What else am I missing? I'm probably going to go back to skipping this quest, but I figured I'd ask just in case there really is some mechanic I'm unaware of.
    Last edited by CloudCastle; Sep 03 2018 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudCastle View Post
    I pretty much avoid this quest because I have never been able to complete it, but I decided to give it a try again today. I know about hitting <delete> followed by <u> to pick up the eggs but clearly there is more at work going on. I would say at least 3-4 times I watched as I was the first one to an egg, had started the pick-up induction, only to have another player run up behind me and successfully grab the egg instead. Their induction time seemed to be half the length of mine.

The game felt responsive, and I wasn't aware of any lag. I saw this happen before I picked up any "bad" eggs, so I couldn't have been under some kind of debuff the whole time. What else am I missing? I'm probably going to go back to skipping this quest, but I figured I'd ask just in case there really is some mechanic I'm unaware of.
    Not sure if this is true, but it seems like it to me: if a person clicks 'use' before you, even if they are further away, they will get the egg first. Again, just my opinion--maybe someone else knows for sure.

Someone made the point elsewhere (I forget if it was on the forums or in chat) that the time for updates to pass from the other user to the server to you likely means they are closer to the egg than they appear to you (and same in the other direction from their perspective). Who knows how much that delay is.

I will usually, if it's a race to the egg, back off and look for the next egg while they're picking that one up, because I never seem to win a race that looks like a dead heat. I try to stay away from the other players, too, so it doesn't devolve to herdball.
    § Elendilmir refugee on Ark §

§ Arestelle . 115 | Muiriol . 115 | Safirel . 25 | Sofiraen . 15 | Yvanriel . 15 §

§ miraear's threads: a cosmetic history §

The game server and your computer are not perfectly synchronized. Your displayed location can be a bit different from where the game actually thinks you are. Usually this is good... it lets you travel smoothly across the landscape instead of lagging as the game double-checks your location every millisecond. In this case, it means on your computer it looks like you're closer to an egg than somebody else, but from the server's perspective you are not.

My strategy is that if a bunch of people are heading for the same egg and it looks like it'll be close, I don't bother unless it's a festive egg I want. In fact, since the appearance of an egg makes everyone swarm it, it's usually better to run off elsewhere hoping an egg spawns somewhere else that you can scoop up uncontested while the others are fighting over that first egg.

Yeah, it must be a computer syncing issue. I guess I'm glad I'm not raiding. Must be very frustrating to move out of a circle of death only to find that the game still thinks you are in it! Does jumping help? I seem to remember being told in SWTOR that jumping forces the game to resync so it knows your current location. I wonder if that works here?

Anyway, think I'm going to avoid this quest for the time being!

Try replacing the delete with the Y key since it is right next to the U key. Makes life simpler. I do sometimes have trouble getting the egg even though the other people are further behind me. Could be lag. Not sure what the reason is. Make sure you pick up the rotten eggs. I got a golden egg right underneath one and no one noticed! Most importantly DON'T give up. It's all about having fun and trying. Maybe try later in the day if you can with fewer people around. Anyway hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Try replacing the delete with the Y key since it is right next to the U key. Makes life simpler. I do sometimes have trouble getting the egg even though the other people are further behind me. Could be lag. Not sure what the reason is. Make sure you pick up the rotten eggs. I got a golden egg right underneath one and no one noticed! Most importantly DON'T give up. It's all about having fun and trying. Maybe try later in the day if you can with fewer people around. Anyway hope this helps.
    Thanks! All good advice. Maybe I'll try it at some weird time of day and see if I can get the hang of it when there aren't as many people competing.

Thanks! All good advice. Maybe I'll try it at some weird time of day and see if I can get the hang of it when there aren't as many people competing.
    Fewer people can make it easier, but I've noticed that with more people, more eggs seem to appear more often so I don't think less people is as beneficial as it might be in some other festivals. It could be my imagination, but there also seems to be different time lengths based on how many people on in the round. There's been a few rounds I was in by myself, and less than 5 good eggs appeared the whole time.

As others have said, the best strategy I've found is to head away from the egg that others are running towards, and hope that one appears in that area. The corner by the quest giver seems to have more eggs spawn in it.