We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

The New LOTR Books

So, I was wondering how much the newer books (Children of Húrin, Beren and Lúthien, Fall of Gondolin) expand on LOTR and Silmarillion lore. Are they worth getting if you are interested in Tolkien and have read Unfinished Tales?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hensibert View Post
    So, I was wondering how much the newer books (Children of Húrin, Beren and Lúthien, Fall of Gondolin) expand on LOTR and Silmarillion lore. Are they worth getting if you are interested in Tolkien and have read Unfinished Tales?

Thanks in advance.
    They are nothing new much then what we already know, they are edited books from what tolkien already wrote, they are just now put together in their own books. a lot of stuff we know is in the History of Middle-Earth series and other books and notes, so they don't expand on lore cause its what we already know basically.
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Even though there was not much new lore in it, I quite enjoyed reading Children of Húrin. It works well as a self-contained tale that takes place in Middle-earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hensibert View Post

Thanks in advance.
    I just finished The Fall of Gondolin, so it is fresh in my mind. While there is nothing that has not been published before – in this case, mainly in The Book of Lost Tales (History of Middle-earth volume II) and Unfinished Tales — it is nevertheless good to have “books filled with things that they already knew, set out fair and square with no contradictions,” as the hobbits say. Well, in this case, complete with contradictions, since the Lost Tales version is in many ways at variance with the ‘final’ and frustratingly truncated version seen in Unfinished Tales. In these volumes, Christopher Tolkien has aimed to avoid burdening the reader with a lot of editorial interruptions which were necessary in the earlier printings. Oh, and you get Alan Lee artwork.

In particular, if you never got the early Lost Tales version of this story, it is very much worth reading, bearing in mind that it is not Tolkien’s most mature writing, and that he changed his mind about many of the details in the decades that followed. Amazing man. How did he ever find time for Beowulf?

I've only read Lost tales Volume II once, so I might give Gondolin a go (I do remember that there was a LOT more in that book than there was in Silmarillion + Unfinished Tales). I don't think I'll do Hurin though (I've read the Narn too many times). Maybe I'll give Beren a go (I haven't read Volume III).