We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

sturdy steel keys

What happens to sturdy steel keys now that there are no lootoxes for them to open?

Not sure what you mean, SSK opens all loot boxes lower than the Gorgoroth ones, so there are still plenty of use for them. Unless there has been an announcement I hadn't heard about.

Lightbulb

In one of Cordovans streams he briefly mentioned that SSG have been talking about unifying all boxes to be opened with the same type of keys. But not that it was in any way decided yet. That would raise the question as to how would lower level characters then aquire them ??? Or will the keys be made to randomly drop, as the old keys do now ??? Or will lower levels have dailies to be able to "earn" keys as well ??? What will happen to all old keys ??? And a ton of other questions. However it was mentioned briefly and passing and nothing that seemed to be immediate or even decided upon. Just an idea they ben toying with. At least that was how it was mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfigglesworth View Post
    What happens to sturdy steel keys now that there are no lootoxes for them to open?
    Update 23 is expected to bring a new Lootbox with items for level 10-115: Travellars-Steel-Bound-Lootbox which is probably to open with the sturdy steel keys. Also comes a second Lootbox Hero's-Steel-Bound-Lootbox with items for level 116-120, which can be opened with black steel keys.

Quote Originally Posted by BotLike View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Thodorin View Post
    Update 23 is expected to bring a new Lootbox with items for level 10-115: Travellars-Steel-Bound-Lootbox which is probably to open with the sturdy steel keys. Also comes a second Lootbox Hero's-Steel-Bound-Lootbox with items for level 116-120, which can be opened with black steel keys.
    We have already been told that Black Steel Keys will open the new boxes.
    As mentioned above Cord mentioned they were considering consolidating all keys.
    I have not read anything that suggests sleel keys are going away or that their loot boxes are going away. With this said, I actually like Thodorin's thought...

MAWorking had the highest post count on the pre-beta LOTRO forums. He was truly an icon and clearly, hasn't changed a bit. -Meghan/aka Patience

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Thodorin View Post
    From what I understand the lootboxes, Travellars-Steel-Bound-Lootbox, with a min requirement of LvL 10 and max 120 are just a rename/label of the Gorgoroth ones and still opened with Black Steel keys and drop Motes (old ash renamed). And the new ones LvL 116-120, Hero's-Steel-Bound-Lootbox, are the new ones that will drop Embers, also opened with Black Steel keys. There will still be the oldest style of lootboxes Dwarven, golden etc that drops the same items as now and are still opened with sturdy Steel keys.

Things can still change or I could be wrong of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Funk View Post
    From what I understand the lootboxes, Travellars-Steel-Bound-Lootbox, with a min requirement of LvL 10 and max 120 are just a rename/label of the Gorgoroth ones and still opened with Black Steel keys and drop Motes (old ash renamed). And the new ones LvL 116-120, Hero's-Steel-Bound-Lootbox, are the new ones that will drop Embers, also opened with Black Steel keys. There will still be the oldest style of lootboxes Dwarven, golden etc that drops the same items as now and are still opened with sturdy Steel keys.

Things can still change or I could be wrong of course.
    ^This appears to be what Cordovan is meaning. That Traveller's will be for lower level gear (so level 10-115) and Hero gear for "Current Capstone Range" giving newer armour.

For example, the level cap goes up to 125. The Hero boxes would begin to drop 121-125 level items & continue to drop Embers of Enchantment. Meanwhile, Traveller's gear now drops from levels 10-120 and previously acquired Embers become Motes (Resetting the Grindstone, so to speak).

The old lootboxes, Barrow, Gold, Dwarf etc. are their own system entirely.

What it looks like to me is that the old barrow/dwarf/elf/etc lootboxes will go away. Everywhere will just drop travelers lootboxes, which I would guess you can open with a sturdy steel key and give loot that scales to your level, instead of the loot being based on the brand of box you open. Yeah that could give you motes without a black steel key, but SSG won't care, motes won't give endgame stuff anymore. The new zone would drop the hero lootboxes which will need black steel keys.

MAYBE... maybe... as a result, Mordor and Mirkwood would start dropping traveller lootboxes instead of Gorgoroth ones and the old dailies will be changed to reward sturdy steel keys instead of black steel keys. But I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    What it looks like to me is that the old barrow/dwarf/elf/etc lootboxes will go away. Everywhere will just drop travelers lootboxes, which I would guess you can open with a sturdy steel key and give loot that scales to your level, instead of the loot being based on the brand of box you open. Yeah that could give you motes without a black steel key, but SSG won't care, motes won't give endgame stuff anymore. The new zone would drop the hero lootboxes which will need black steel keys.

MAYBE... maybe... as a result, Mordor and Mirkwood would start dropping traveller lootboxes instead of Gorgoroth ones and the old dailies will be changed to reward sturdy steel keys instead of black steel keys. But I don't know.
    This was something that I wanted to look at, since there are meta deeds under the cap that bestow a sturdy steel key and a level range named box.

Update: That reminds me. On live, I've gotten sturdy steel keys to drop from landscape mobs, both Mordor and Strongholds of the North areas.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

It would be nice if all the loot-boxes would stack. I have lots and lots waiting around for me to find keys to open them, and it's really difficult to store them like this.
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Silmelin View Post
    It would be nice if all the loot-boxes would stack. I have lots and lots waiting around for me to find keys to open them, and it's really difficult to store them like this.
    This & make it alike to all sort of boxes that share the same category. It will save so much space. Examples: all teal mathoms in 1 stack, all elven lootboxes in another stack, all mordor lootboxes in another stack, all legendary gift boxes in another stack, all anorien essence boxes in another stack, etc.

Not sure what they will do with the lootboxes rename but i hope that they don't remove the means to adquire keys in game. It is plain wrong that in order the get gear gotta get it only by paying $ & no way to earn it in game.
    Last edited by YamydeAragon; Sep 13 2018 at 05:15 PM.

~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~

This is a terrible change that will kill end-game raiding, the economy and much much more like ### who even suggested this

Somebody knows ... What will be with the sturdy steel keys? What will be the way to get them in the new update? just from Lotrostore or/and drop from mobs?

Quote Originally Posted by firesky View Post
    Somebody knows ... What will be with the sturdy steel keys? What will be the way to get them in the new update? just from Lotrostore or/and drop from mobs?
    There will be no keys dropping off mobs, or obtainable in game after u23. Black steel keys will remain - but only in the store. We will no longer be able to earn them in game, or have them drop in game.

Sturdy steel keys - will become obsolete, but apparently, there will be "a use" for the ones people already have, but, nobody knows that that use will be.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    There will be no keys dropping off mobs, or obtainable in game after u23. Black steel keys will remain - but only in the store. We will no longer be able to earn them in game, or have them drop in game.

Sturdy steel keys - will become obsolete, but apparently, there will be "a use" for the ones people already have, but, nobody knows that that use will be.
    Thank you. i Have steel keys and small lootbox (10-50 level) in warehouse now... - And now iam thinking about opening or leaving((

There are far more lootboxes in the game world than there are keys. Sturdy Steel Keys will run out long before there are no lootboxes left for them.
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    There are far more lootboxes in the game world than there are keys. Sturdy Steel Keys will run out long before there are no lootboxes left for them.
    I hope you are right.

With the exception of the Gorgoroth box I have found few chests outside lootbox weekends and way more unbound keys gathered over several years - since I seldom open them - most of the time when I absolutely want to get a Pick a Mount box. I'm not even counting the year3/y7-reward keys...