We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Help with Lotro kicking me to desktop please.

Hi everyone,

Just came back to the game about a month ago, and been playing lotro consistently with no issues now for about 3 weeks until I started having this problem with getting kicked to the desktop. Allow me to explain.

I will be in game, no lag, or fps issues and then all of a sudden game just takes me to desktop with client still on. Now when I get booted to desktop the game stays on and nothing happens to my character unless I happen to be fighting a mob but its just as easy to click the ring on bottom of desktop bar and go back in game. Getting booted and getting back in game can take about as long as 4 seconds if that. Problem is it will do it every couple minutes OR it will do it once every 10 to 15 min. Its very sporadic.

I have lowered graphic settings and turned off unnecessary options, such as shadows, etc., updated my GPU driver to current version, checked for viruses, relogged, rebooted, and now reinstalling the game. I come here because I don't understand why the game ran fine for 3 weeks and when I say fine I mean no issues whatsoever and then bam it starts doing it. Also I changed monitors thinking my monitor was on the blink.....nope same thing on a different monitor.

Does anyone have any more advice or recommendations for me to resolve this or has anyone ever heard of this happening?

Thank you for any help!

Any background programs running that could steal focus from the game??

Are sticky keys enabled? As they might be triggering an event?

Full Screen?
    Full Screen(Windowed)?
    Windowed?

Are you perhaps hitting the Windows Key, as it has suddenly become active in the game according to another thread about the game collapsing to desktop. this may be OS related, as it doesnt happen on my Win7 machine - that I refuse to run Win Update on after it repeatedly tagged my genuine Win7 64 Pro machines as running pirate versions.

Two weeks ago the game started doing the same thing to me, reverting to the Desktop Screen mid-play every few minutes. It does this randomly, even if I am not touching the computer. When I use ALT-TAB to go back in to the game, the game is still going as if I never left it, so I can continue playing where I left off, but the ALT button remains activated until I click the ALT button again. It is doing it on my daughter's computer as well. Both have the Windows 10 OS. We have not changed any settings on our computers and it is not happening due to any keyboard actions we're doing. We didn't make any other changes to our systems.

Quote Originally Posted by BillPski View Post
    Two weeks ago the game started doing the same thing to me, reverting to the Desktop Screen mid-play every few minutes. It does this randomly, even if I am not touching the computer. When I use ALT-TAB to go back in to the game, the game is still going as if I never left it, so I can continue playing where I left off, but the ALT button remains activated until I click the ALT button again. It is doing it on my daughter's computer as well. Both have the Windows 10 OS. We have not changed any settings on our computers and it is not happening due to any keyboard actions we're doing. We didn't make any other changes to our systems.
    Look to see if any OS tasks are being carried out at around those times; it might be one of them is suddenly taking the screen focus away from the game due to a recent update; if you find a likely culprit, but arent sure, try changing how often it performs its task, or disable it for 10 minutes.

I would be looking at email, av update and win update for starters, search and indexing options, network discovery (if you have a network).

You could run the game windowed, so you can keep the "Task Manager" process list open alongside it and perhaps spot anything happening.