We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

The Palantir Private Preview Program

The Palantir Private Preview Program is currently accepting applications!

Ask yourself this:

• Do you gain a sense of pride when you file bugs, knowing that you've helped us improve the game by doing so?
    • Do you have time that you would like to volunteer as a consumer tester for LOTRO?
    • Do you enjoy seeing things in an unfinished state and watching them develop?
    • Do you like the idea of possibly having an influence on how those same things turn out in the end?
    • Can you keep a secret (no matter how many bribes of <insert favorite vice here> you may get)?

If you answered 'YES' to all the above questions, then Palantir may be the place for you! We would love to have you on board, getting your virtual hands dirty with our new and upcoming content, and telling us what you think!

What is Palantir?

The Palantir Private Preview Program is an invitation only consumer testing program similar to a Beta Program but much smaller in scope. Volunteers in the Palantir Program have the opportunity to provide feedback on most LOTRO content before it is released.

How does Membership Work?

When you are accepted in the Program, you may remain a volunteer as long as you keep your account and participation (on both Live and the Preview Program) in good standing. (Disciplinary actions taken against your Live account will affect your participation in the Preview Program.)

Requirements of the Palantir Private Preview Program

• Must have a valid VIP or Premium subscription in good standing to The Lord of the Rings Online
    • Must be at least 18 years of age
    • Must be able to interact with the community in a mature and constructive manner
    • Must be able to communicate well through forum posts and bug reports
    • Must have a strong command of written English
    • You must accept the terms of the Private Preview Program Non-Disclosure Agreement, the full contents of which will be provided during the registration process should you be accepted to the program

See the next post for more details and how to apply!

A note about our Preview Servers:
    The preview test servers do not use the same LOTRO Store found on the Live worlds. As a result, your LOTRO Point balance does not carry over. If you see a 0 point balance when logged into Bullroarer or Palantir, this is expected. Your Point Balance on the Live worlds will still be correct.

• Points earned or granted on Bullroarer or Palantir do not carry over to live.
    • Do not use purchased point codes or cards on preview worlds! Any points granted to Bullroarer or Palantir by these cards will not be available to use on Live and will not be refunded!
    • LOTRO points attached to your account on preview worlds can only be used on Bullroarer or Palantir.
    • Bullroarer and Palantir are Test servers. We wipe all data from these servers between tests and at other times as our testing requires. As a result, any lost points, items, or upgrades will not be refunded.
    • As test servers, Bullroarer and Palantir content will contain bugs and an unfinished gameplay experience. The servers may not be available at all times and patching will occur whenever SSG determines it is necessary.

Reminder: Your test server characters, items, and LOTRO Store purchases will not be transferred to live.

Palantíri: The Stones of Seeing - powerful crystalline globes that enabled their users to witness events and communicate with one another over great distances

Applying to the Palantir Private Preview Program

Things to Consider Before Applying:

• Participation in the Preview Program should enhance your LOTRO Live experience, not replace it. If real life obligations or hobbies (including playing on Live) take up the majority of your spare time, the Preview Program may not be right for you.
    • We have an extremely aggressive development cycle, and only a short span of time to test the content. For this reason we need players who are strongly committed to helping us improve the game with little or no reward (other than our undying gratitude). If you feel you will not be able to regularly participate on the server, this program may not be right for you.
    • Do you get a sense of accomplishment by reporting bugs or participating in forum feedback? Even if the suggestions you make or the feedback you give is not directly acted upon or implemented, you should be able to feel you have contributed just the same.
    • The Preview Program is focused on testing the content currently in development and as such you are expected to provide feedback on the requested topics. This is not an opportunity to bypass the Live forums with a personal campaign or as an attempt to directly communicate with developers about irrelevant topics. If you’re not interested in helping us improve the content we are currently working on, this program is not right for you.

If you think the Palantir Private Preview Program is right for you, we encourage you to apply! If you do not think you’re right for the program but would love to give your feedback, we encourage you to post to these boards with your ideas. Everyone who plays LOTRO matters to us, whether you are in this program or not.

How to Apply

Please send an email to lotropalantirpreviewprogram@standingstonegames.com. In this email, please include the following information:

• Your Real first and Last Name (please do not provide nicknames)
    • Your Username for LOTRO (this is the account name you use to log in to the LOTRO launcher)
      • NOTE: If you have multiple subscriptions under this username, please provide the Subscription Nickname of the subscription you would like to use
      • If you have multiple Accounts, please only apply for one of them. We are only granting one subscription to Palantir per player at this time.

• Your Live Forum name (the name that displays on these boards) tied to the subscription in Bullet 2
    • The email address registered to the LOTRO Live account provided in bullet 2.
    • An explanation why you would like to participate in the preview program.

***Assure this information is sent via email only. Please do not use Private Message or apply through this thread.***

If you are accepted to the program, you will receive an email with instructions on how to get started. Applications will be reviewed on a regular basis, with invitations sent to accepted applicants shortly thereafter.

Please note the Palantir Program is run completely by Quality Assurance. OCR and Customer Service cannot assist you with this program, so please keep all communication in this thread or through the email address given above.

If you have any questions, see our FAQ below, send an email to lotropalantirpreviewprogram@standingstonegames.com, or feel free to post to this thread. Please do not ask questions regarding the program via Private Message.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: So how does this work if I was on Palantir before?

A: If you were part of the Preview Program prior to July of 2012 your account has been 'retired' - that is put in holding. If you would like to be part of the program again, you may send us an email asking to be reinstated.

This does not have to be a full-fledged application, just a statement of the required information and your desire to be part of the community again.

Q: Why can’t I apply unless I’m 18+??? I’m more mature than a lot of adults I know!!
    A: We don’t like the age limit, either, but it’s a legal matter that we cannot bypass.

Q: Will a Mac client be available for testing?
    A: Yes! If you're a Mac user we would love to have you on board helping us test this client.

Q: How soon after applying will I know if I got in or not?
    A: There is no set time limit. A post will be made in this thread when Application Acceptance Emails have been sent. That is your cue to check the email address you have registered with myaccount.turbine.com and see if an Invitation has been sent to you. If you did not get an email, then your application was not accepted this round.

Q: I have a few infractions and even a little ban or two in my forum history. Can I still apply, or am I doomed?
    A: People make mistakes, we understand that. Explain the situation as part of your application and we will take this into account.

What we are looking for is a community that can participate and interact with other people without resorting to insults and misbehavior to get their point across. Palantir is about being a safe place to state your opinion where others can be free to agree or disagree and not have to suffer consequences for it.

Q: If I have previous beta experience with LOTRO will that affect my chances in any way getting accepted into the Preview Program?
    A: Unless you behaved in a less than constructive manner in that program, we can't see where it can hurt.

Q: Would I get a ported character, autoleveled character or a character to start from scratch?
    A: The answer is 'yes'. All those choices are available to you. The Eyes and Guard Tavern, which you will be familiar with if you participated in any of our Beta Programs, Stress Tests, or on the Preview Servers, is usually open full blast 24/7. You can autolevel characters or start characters from scratch. We also offer character copies from the Live servers.

Q: If I do not get accepted the first time I apply, should I bother to reapply? If my original explanation wasn't enough to get me in, maybe I could include additional information and be accepted later on?
    A: Yes, we definitely encourage this. We have had several participants that applied more than once. If, upon hindsight, you think your application may have been lacking, by all means revise it and try again. What we don’t encourage is submitting the exact same application each time. We do read every application, and if we deny acceptance the first time it's submitted, it will be denied again.

Q: My (spouse/roommate/cat) doesn’t want to apply to Palantir, but I do. Can I tell my significant other(s) that I'm playing on Palantir?
    A: We pretty much expect that people you live with or significant others are going to be aware of your participation. You have to make the call as to whether you can trust these people to keep that information to themselves, or use it against you.

While we aren't going to ban you if your housemates/companions learn you are on Palantir, if some confidential information was leaked and it was traced back to you then yes, it will affect you.

This is a choice only you can make.

Q: But WHAT IF! Say my significant other was to log in on my Preview account and then on their OWN [Live] account say things about Palantir. They technically hadn't agreed to the NDA, so would they be held responsible for it?

A: Another party knowing about your participation is one thing. Those parties having access to your account is entirely another.

YOU are held ultimately responsible for maintaining the security of your Preview account. So you would be held responsible for the leak. Depending on the severity of the leak, the other party may also suffer repercussions to their own Live accounts as per the Violations Section of the Forum Guidelines:

Originally Posted by LOTRO Forums Guidelines and Code of Conduct
    19. Posting, reposting or linking to, any information, including but not limited to spoilers, screen shots, and videos of materials covered under a Non-disclosure agreement."

Q: Why should I bother with Palantir? I’ve been on Bullroarer and other SSG Beta programs – I’ve filed bugs and offered feedback and nothing was done. Clearly no one listens – it’s just a huge waste of time.
    A: This is one of those questions that is difficult to answer because we can’t tell you the ins and outs of how things are prioritized or addressed here. All we can tell you is this program works – we’ve seen it work – and while it may not seem like it on the outside, all decisions are made with the best intentions for the game in mind.

Not all bugs you report will be fixed before the patch goes to Live. Not all feedback that you offer will be acted upon or implemented. However, this does not mean any of it is ignored or considered a waste. We have a schedule, we have to prioritize. Sometimes we make the right decisions, sometimes we don’t. But we all have the same goal – to make LOTRO the superior experience it deserves to be.

Q: How long would I be a tester if I was accepted?

A: Six months from the date you receive your acceptance email.

Q: How thoroughly is forum post history reviewed? Is it like a brief glance at the last 20 or so posts? Just wondering... cause as someone with 3000+ posts, not all of them can be "high quality" or whatever the criteria you guys use is.
    A: We take a sampling of your posting as well as consult with the Online Community Representatives.

Q: Why no F2P members?
    A: We simply do not have the resources to open the program to the entire LOTRO Community at this time. If, as time goes on, we find that we do we will explore the option of bringing in our Free to Play members as well.

If you have a question that is not answered here or somewhere else in this thread, feel free to post or send an email to lotropalantirpreviewprogram@standingstonegames.com. Please do not Private Message us with questions regarding the Program. We will not answer questions regarding this program through PM's.

In the meantime, just because you aren’t part of Palantir does not mean you cannot voice your opinion. These forums are here for you – use them!
    Last edited by LordOfTheSquids; Aug 31 2018 at 01:23 PM.

Who are you looking for specifically? For example this update contains a lot of instances so you need a lot of hard core raiders but the casuals may not care , but the next one may be filled with only quest in which case the raiders wont care as much as a casual player.

I think that all players are welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Fraushgrish2 View Post
    Who are you looking for specifically? For example this update contains a lot of instances so you need a lot of hard core raiders but the casuals may not care , but the next one may be filled with only quest in which case the raiders wont care as much as a casual player.
    Since we tend to have a mix of content with every update, we do appreciate feedback and bug reports on pretty much everything. Also access to the test server will continue beyond the next update. We accept applications from casual players as well as hard core raiders so we can get a mix of feedback and wider coverage. I have been busy reviewing the latest round of applications and hopefully will be able to send out invites "soon" (not before the weekend!).

Quote Originally Posted by LordOfTheSquids View Post
    Since we tend to have a mix of content with every update, we do appreciate feedback and bug reports on pretty much everything. Also access to the test server will continue beyond the next update. We accept applications from casual players as well as hard core raiders so we can get a mix of feedback and wider coverage. I have been busy reviewing the latest round of applications and hopefully will be able to send out invites "soon" (not before the weekend!).
    btw just a tiny heads up you should proof read what you just copy pasted from the last palantir thread there's a lot of talk of turbine here xD for example

Q: Why no F2P members? Way to punish us, Turbine. Don’t we matter, too??
    A: Of course you do. We simply do not have the resources to open the program to the entire LOTRO Community at this time. If, as time goes on, we find that we do we will explore the option of bringing in our Free to Play members as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraushgrish2 View Post
    btw just a tiny heads up you should proof read what you just copy pasted from the last palantir thread there's a lot of talk of turbine here xD for example

Q: Why no F2P members? Way to punish us, Turbine. Don’t we matter, too??
    A: Of course you do. We simply do not have the resources to open the program to the entire LOTRO Community at this time. If, as time goes on, we find that we do we will explore the option of bringing in our Free to Play members as well.
    Aww, it was only in there twice (aside from the myaccount link). I am totally fired.

Aww, it was only in there twice (aside from the myaccount link). I am totally fired.
    Now you've done it! :P
    R5 105 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 115 MNS Fayah/115 LM Siennah/115 HNT Dinenol/115 RK Dhurik
    115 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/61 BUR Dhax/115 WDN Godoric
    R9 115 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

Another Turbine reference in FAQ

Q: How soon after applying will I know if I got in or not?
    A: There is no set time limit. A post will be made in this thread when Application Acceptance Emails have been sent. That is your cue to check the email address you have registered with myaccount.turbine.com and see if an Invitation has been sent to you. If you did not get an email, then your application was not accepted this round.
    I realize that "myaccount.turbine.com" apparently displays the same page as "myaccount.standingstonegames. com," and is shorter to type . . .but?
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (108)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (115)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (107)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    I realize that "myaccount.turbine.com" apparently displays the same page as "myaccount.standingstonegames. com," and is shorter to type . . .but?
    Thats a website where you can reorganize your account no real way to change it tbh

I have been busy reviewing the latest round of applications and hopefully will be able to send out invites "soon" (not before the weekend!).
    Should those of us who did not get any response assume we have been denied for whatever reason and we should try again next time?