We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Elf and Orc camp NPCs

Apologies if this has been suggested before (and I am somewhat certain it has been), but just in case it has not, I wanted to ask if it would not be possible to make the npcs in both elf and orc camp stronger.

One of the big issues (I'd say especially smaller servers are facing) is that the moors are an open area with ever changing numbers on both freep and creep side. No matter whether creeps might end with a boost to be brought in line some with freeps, the issue of uneven numbers can still cause problems. So my suggestion would be to give us an npc population, just within elf and orc camp, which players could use to balance numbers in fights. So if one side is majorly outgunned, they could retreat to their respective camp to gain some back-up.

I'd not touch the keeps and outposts (although we did have stronger npcs in the past all over the map) but only orc and elf camp for strategic purposes. Maybe there is a flaw in my thinking, I'd be more than happy to hear opinions on this, but these camps do not seem used (as they once were) for fights, so I see no actual drawback from utilizing them for this specific purpose. They are not of interest as such for individual questers much, so a stronger npc population should not have a negative impact on questing?

I just feel changing numbers on both sides warrant specific tools to counter problems that can arise. Switching from one side to the other is something I have done in the past to help numbers, but numbers can change so fast - one switches and a few minutes later one needs to switch back again.

Certainly making those npcs stronger will not solve all issues, but I believe it could just be an extra tool. Obviously there will be times when one side is just hiding in such npcs, even though they could battle without that support, but no one is forced to enter the camps. If we feel the other side is just playing chicken in there, walk away until they gain some courage.

To what degree to make those npcs stronger is something the devs would have to look into, but once upon a time we had keeps for these strategies, we had arrows and fire raining down, and these things made a difference and helped us balance fights. Now npcs are totally weak, arrows and fire don't do much anymore, so we lost this tool.

Am I missing something? If so, feel free to point it out, but right now I see no harm in having strong npcs in these specific camps, but only benefits.
    My brothers and sisters, a day may come when we grow-up, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the Age of Gaming comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we play!
    ~Tinyfangs/Tinypaws/Alinchen~

This idea wont do much by itself. Those determined to enter will get one of their own to run in grab aggro then you are left undefended just as now.

In addition, having the choice to jump over the walls could change this situation.

Make the npcs too strong and it will end up being a place to hide indefinitely which defeats the purpose altogether.

The old camps had a balance of sorts which could hold off a small number of enemies against a solo or few, but even then one enemy running in and grabbing aggro happened all the time. That's where jumping over the walls helped. This cat and mouse game was more fun than Back Door games because if an enemy could anticipate your choices you were fighting or vacating the camp. In the end it set up action to some degree.

Back doors to keeps and delving entrances (outside of the originals) are just dumb and don't do much to bring quality.
    Università degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza" Sapienza University of Rome

Graduate PhD con lode Scienze della Politica

@ sapienze

I remember we had many fights at elf camp in the past. It was a hot spot (obviously we also had bridge flipping still back then). It aided us particularly when we did not have the numbers for big raid action, so freeps usually rode into elf camp for the npc support (now beyond a doubt it would be orc camp seeing most action, certainly on my server). Keeps were fantastic fun and the arrows and oil and the npcs all hurt too. I can not recall we ever pulled npcs out via the method you described, that method we used if we wanted to take a keep, so we'd not have to fight all the way through with npcs. Usually a high rank warg (able to survive the onslaught) would drop group, run through, we'd follow, then he'd hips and rejoin group once all were in corner of tyrant room.

Jumping over the walls of orc and elf camp certainly would be a nice addition as well, would love to see that added.

I just do not understand why the npcs have not been kept in line, yet I gave room for this having some particular reason from the devs, so I wished to suggest just elf and orc camp, to hand us this tool back of npc support. Personally I'd love to see all npcs made stronger again, to hand us this strategic tool back. I think some of Osgiliath npcs are stronger, however that map is a lag trap, no one uses if for action (which is such a shame).

It is just very frustrating on our server right now. We are trying to revive the action on Laurelin and it is bearing fruit, we see numbers gather again, but a whole craid wiped repeatedly yesterday against 13 freeps. We'd get 3 kills on average during our wipes, which is just extremely unbalance. I hear rumours creeps are getting boosted again, that sure will help, but sometimes it isn't just about the imbalance of the two sides in dps and survivability, but simply numbers, and we could use npcs to aid us with this, in my opinion at least.
    My brothers and sisters, a day may come when we grow-up, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the Age of Gaming comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we play!
    ~Tinyfangs/Tinypaws/Alinchen~