We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

A question about spending money on the game

Hi all,
    I'm really enjoying the game so far, and I think I'm definitely going to spend some money on it at some point. My highest level character is still going through Bree-Land, which is free as you know, so I don't think that there is a need to buy something immediately, but I'm wondering this: when I get to the point where I want to buy something, what is the most useful pack/expansion/whatever that I should purchase first?
    Thanks in advance for your help!

1 month of VIP. That unlock pretty much everything you need character-wise (fast travel, gold cap etc...) which will make your gaming alot easier. You should also create any other characters you might want to play down the road while you're VIP so they'll have things unlocked too.

The best thing in the store? Premium Wallet so all those festival tokens etc.... don't clutter up your inventory.

Hey, welcome to Lotro! If you do all the Deeds (slayer/exploration/ect) in Ered Luin, the Shire, Breeland, and the Lone Lands, you should have enough LP to purchase a region. I would personally recommend Evendim as your first regional purchase. It has a lot of quests for a fairly wide array of lvls. Ofc, if the Eriador Bundle goes on sale again soon, as it has twice in the last 3 months or so, I would get that since it would get you every region in Eriador except for Dunland, which is part of the Isengard xpac.

As for xpacs, I would recommend waiting until the US holiday of Thanksgiving (Nov). They often have really good sales on the Web Site store (the Market) for extremely cheap. Last year, they had the first five xpacs for only $16 USD total. Please note that these sales are NOT in the online store for LP. You have to go onto the Web site store and use real money to purchase them.

A month of VIP is a good idea, since it does unlock a lot of stuff for any toon made and logged on during the VIP. Premium wallet is good as well, but it can wait until you have more content unlocked, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by TeaTimeDoctor View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm really enjoying the game so far, and I think I'm definitely going to spend some money on it at some point. My highest level character is still going through Bree-Land, which is free as you know, so I don't think that there is a need to buy something immediately, but I'm wondering this: when I get to the point where I want to buy something, what is the most useful pack/expansion/whatever that I should purchase first?
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    Hi,

I am a new player as well, and here are the purchases that I find very useful and will buy again if I were to re-start:

1. VIP -- at least for a month. It unlocks bag space and many other things account wide.
    2. Premium wallet. There are many different tokens available in the game which can be used to barter items, and they will clog up your inventory space if you do not have premium wallet.
    3. Shared storage space if you are playing more than one character.
    4. Inventory (bag) space. I am in an area after Bree where there is no vault keeper, can be a pain to run between Bree and the questing area to dump crafting materials for other characters.
    5. Universal crating tool. You can share this with different characters using the shared storage.

Other items that I have purchased:

1. Stone of Tortoise. I am using this to control characters' levels now, especially in the early stage because the character can gain levels very fast just by joining festival events and crafting. I do not mind over levelling to make life easier, however, if not controlled and over done to the extend where mobs turned grey, life will become difficult again when you are doing slayer deeds because the mobs will no longer be shown on the small radar screen.

2. Riding skill. Alternatively, you can play all characters to level 20, subscribe for a month, and get the riding skill free for everyone instead of purchasing the skill from store.

Plan to buy:

1. Quest packs. Will buy when my 3 month VIP is up. I am a very casual player-- buying quest packs to play at my own leisure suits me better than subscribing.

2. Expansions. Will purchase when my characters are ready or when it is on sale.

3. 1 or 2 additional milestone skill for each character. I think this will make life much easier. I do not need faster cool down timer between milestone usage because my play time for each session is usually very short. If you are playing hours at a time, the shorter cool down timer might be a good investment.

Luxuries that would be nice:

1. My own superior farmland, workbench, forge...
    2. Account wide journeyman riding skill.
    3. Additional shared wardrobe space.

https://www.lotro.com/en/lotro-store-quest-packs

This link will show you all the areas where quests and expansions are available (up to level 85)

Some overlap so you don't need them all

the quad pack is a great deal

https://store.standingstonegames.com...oryID.58516200

And at times can be found on sale. It includes Moria, Mirkwood, Isengard and Rohan

But you will have to get through

The Lone Lands - Free

North Downs

Evendim

And the Trollshaws first
    “Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.”? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

1. VIP - unlocks many things
    2. Stone of the Tortoise (stop gaining XP when you equip it) - extremly important, if you don't want to "overlevel" in Certain areas, which happens very fast. It's much more fun if you do the quests on the "right" level
    3. Premium Wallet. It saves up to 200 slots in my inventory, because all tokens go in there
    4. When you reach level 50 you should buy Moria! In my opinion it's one of the best expansion sets of all MMOs ever.
    5. With 60 you should buy Mirkwood Expansion, with 65 Isengart, with 75 Rohan, with 85 Helms deep, with 105 Mordor. Between these levels it's best to be VIP to have all regions unlocked.

Have fun and enjoy!

Where should I start?

So I've been hearing great things about this game particularly the community. I don't mind spending money if it's worth it. I've been a paying subscriber to Blizzard since 2005 but I need a change. So my financial advisor (wife) wants to know what I'll be spending to play this. So a few points...1. I love Middle Earth...2. I love my wife and would prefer to stay married...lol ...3. Someone told me to get started in this I would need to spend 300.00 up front which won't be accepted too well and I have no idea where to get started. Is there a monthly sub? Is it too late to start? I could really use some advice. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Beldynn View Post
    So I've been hearing great things about this game particularly the community. I don't mind spending money if it's worth it. I've been a paying subscriber to Blizzard since 2005 but I need a change. So my financial advisor (wife) wants to know what I'll be spending to play this. So a few points...1. I love Middle Earth...2. I love my wife and would prefer to stay married...lol ...3. Someone told me to get started in this I would need to spend 300.00 up front which won't be accepted too well and I have no idea where to get started. Is there a monthly sub? Is it too late to start? I could really use some advice. Thanks in advance.
    I don't know who told you that, but that person is just wrong :P It's a Free To Play game. It's technically possible to gain everything in game without spending any real money at all. Though that is a very tough grind. You don't need to get/unlock any questpacks in the early stages. That gives you the time to see if you enjoy the game and if you want to continue playing. If you decide to continue I'd advice getting a sub because that unlocks a lot of things permanently. It also unlocks all (!!) the questpacks, not expansions, for as long as you decide to sub.

I hope this helps and welcome to the wonderful world of LOTRO!!

Lorim Ironheart

Quote Originally Posted by Beldynn View Post
    Wow, I don't know who told you that, but they were telling you false, lol. You can jump into Middle Earth without paying a dime; the three starter regions (Ered Luin, the Shire, and Breeland) and the Lone Lands are completely free and you can do all quests and complete all Deeds (achievements for exploration and slaying a certain number of different mobs for which you receive Lotro Points, or store currency) in these areas. This will get you to around lvl 30 or so and you should have enough LP to buy another region if you don't decide to become a sub. Subs have access to ALL regional content, not including xpacs, and a monthly sub is $15 USD. If you get a 3 month, 6 month, or yearly sub, the price goes lower per month. I get a yearly sub and it equals out to roughly $8.25 per month. Every year in Nov/Dec, SSG has really good sales on their xpacs in their online web store (not the ingame store). Last year, they had the first 5 xpacs for $16 USD total. Mordor was not on sale, since it had just come out; not sure if it will be on sale this year or not, I would say probably not yet.

Feel free to just download and try us out! Not sure if you're in the US or not, but if you are, Gladden is one of the friendliest servers there is, though we are smaller and our endgame groups are not as large. Not to say there is no endgame, just not as much. Arkenstone is one of the largest US servers and the one with the biggest PvMP and raiding community, but it does tend to be more troll-y as well. Landroval is the RP server and there are many player organized events there. If you're not sure where to go, I would suggest making a "scout" toon on each server and seeing where you fit the best.

Also, since you're coming from Blizzard, may I remind you that Lotro has a MUCH bigger game world than WoW. Many people come here from WoW and think there are no players here because they don't always see other people running around, but the maps of Lotro are huge and people are simply spread out over a much bigger area.

There's a post around here somewhere detailing how to efficiently purchase all the game content for around $300. Basically how to emulate the lifetime subscriptions that were available when the game launched.
    I'm guessing that's the source of the $300 statement.

As others have already noted, you can play for free and decide when and how you want to spend some money.

Have fun!
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

It is a post by Hurin.

DIY Lifetime Account w/ All Expansions - Build Your Own

Very complete for its time, just follow the guide for the latest additions to the game.

Though I like to subscribe; a yearly sub is $99 for everything. Expansions still need to be purchased as with some QoL items. Another good QoL item (purchased about 2400 LP), is the account wide riding skill; the riding skill is available from the start for all characters on the account and horses have a 78% movement rate.
    Last edited by Gandolf_TheOld; Sep 02 2018 at 12:39 PM.
    Ujest - 120 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 95 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)