We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Solo Captain feedback

I installed BR for the first time and transferred my lvl 106 captain (br closed today) I have been going back & forth on whether I should continue to build him because some say that captains are a weak class to solo especially in Mordor. I was anxious to see what he would be like in the new update with the stat changes. If anyone else was able to play their captain in BR your feedback will be helpful. Just want to know if I should continue with him right now in the live server. Also any suggestions for solo redline 2h legacies? Thanks

I recently took my captain into Mordor and I'm very disappointed. It's not the dps, it's that they've destroyed the red line Rallying Cry. I'm told that is isn't a bug but that SSG just figured survivability was an overrated feature of the class. I didn't enter until he was 112, so I'm making my way through, but the decision was idiotic.

Best thing you can do for survival in Mordor (if you're getting wrecked by mobs) is to go red-line sword and board with extra points spent in yellow for defensive boosts. Also dump revealing mark if you're using it, it sucks for soloing in Mordor due to a combination of your weak damage, higher rate of mob b/p/e and partials (which means less or even no heals from it) and your own bloated morale pool. Better to use noble mark as it gives consistent heals and 1% of your morale is probably going to eclipse 15% of your damage. Just my 2 cents based on personal experience doing the content. I entered Mordor @ 106 around when it came out using my previously standard red/ blue build and I sort of hit a wall which forced me to rethink things. I know a lot of people also did full glass cannon on captain in Mordor but I think that was more around level cap when they could get easy access to a bunch of physical mastery essences. I can't comment on its effectiveness as I never tried going that route.
    Nanci - 115 Captain / Hirandiel - 115 Hunter / Hildimar - 115 Minstrel - "Weekend at Bill Ferny's" - Arkenstone (formerly of Windfola)
    Nimgarthiel - 75 Captain / Gliriel - 50 Minstrel / Hereniel - 25 Hunter - "Succulent Meats" - Arkenstone

I got my captain through Mordor with full level 105 gear from Throne raid with a balanced set of stats with max mitigations and not very much of mastery critical or finesse. It was no problem pulling multiple mobs with reveal mark + aoe from banner + pressing attack + aoe grave wound, some circling around to avoid some damage and parry buff when it wasn't going as planned. The problem started when shadow of mordor reached level 5, I remember I couldn't even kill a single mob in Fushaum Bal, where I had to stop and get some LoE gear.

Comparison

I've moved all classes (some multiple) through Mordor and have come to the conclusion that Captain (pure Red Line) was definitely the most difficult. It was a combination of things. Self-heals reflect a much lower morale total (probably around level 85). 6% damage buffs on critical hits was minimal due to the higher mitigation and defenses of the mobs. Overall base damage is significantly lower than other classes when in a solo setting (not to mention attack duration).

Yes, I've seen some players solo'ing Elite Bosses in videos. But, I'm not inclined to overload my Capt with incoming healing so I can live off the revealing mark while eating a sandwich during a marathon fight. The same applies to using a board.

Unfortunately/fortunately, the class is, essentially, a multi-purpose fellowship class, and improving any of these three items is going to unbalance the roll of support in an instance/ Raid situation. So, my suggestion would be to add a new stance to captain that is only active in a solo situation. This isn't much different from what you see with mini and the different stances negating certain skills (and changing them in some cases). Obviously SSG's is interested in having the players experience the content. As a result, a class like Guardian was given higher dps to accommodate landscape content. The same, IMO, should be applied to Captain, but on a focused basis.

That being said, I think the reason we haven't seen anything applied towards Captain just yet (balancing) is that its desired roll requires all the other classes to be addressed first since the main bailiwick of a Captain is support/buffs.

IMO, U23 did make things a bit better for Captains. Self-healing in red line is definitely lower than I'd like, but at least mobs die faster than they respawn now.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

I'm posting for my husband, whheydt, because for arcane reasons he can't post to the forums.

His Captain is level 116, traited red line, and he complains that he's doing the Towers of the Teeth and can't take two Orcs at a time (or two of anything at a time). He used to be able to take that instance handily, at a lower level, before U23. After the update it got harder, but after today's patch it's gotten suicidal.

Can anyone suggest changes he should make in his build? Has anyone questions he could answer to provide more information? (As I said, he can't post, but he's sitting about ten feet away from me.)

Thanks!
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    I'm posting for my husband, whheydt, because for arcane reasons he can't post to the forums.

His Captain is level 116, traited red line, and he complains that he's doing the Towers of the Teeth and can't take two Orcs at a time (or two of anything at a time). He used to be able to take that instance handily, at a lower level, before U23. After the update it got harder, but after today's patch it's gotten suicidal.

Can anyone suggest changes he should make in his build? Has anyone questions he could answer to provide more information? (As I said, he can't post, but he's sitting about ten feet away from me.)

Thanks!
    This is probably due to the little boo-boo Vastin made with his math in the last patch and it should be fixed in an upcoming patch. See - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...26#post7877126

I just took mine through the new region in pure red tree. Challenging in places with a solo Cappy. But, for the most part very doable. Although, when you do the Caverns instance in the quest line you might want to add a little yellow tree. There are reflector fire thingys in there that hit just a bit too hard to rely on auto attack to beat them.

So am i the only one that hates our red line as it is? :/ skills look sluggish animated
    So many limitations and our pet is not helping at all especially when they can die that easily.The worst part is that i need them to keep the brother skill on.
    I would like some improvement on cd of some damaging skills and maybe to refresh the animation on some skills. The old delay on skills after inspire bug is still present but with halberds only
    Halberds are looking so slow when compared to two handed swords animations when they should be the same
    I adore the blue and yellow lines, badassery awesome both of them

[Tangaar Captain] [Acidglow Weaver]
    -->Black Glass Remix skin<---

Quote Originally Posted by Casmond View Post
    I just took mine through the new region in pure red tree. Challenging in places with a solo Cappy. But, for the most part very doable. Although, when you do the Caverns instance in the quest line you might want to add a little yellow tree. There are reflector fire thingys in there that hit just a bit too hard to rely on auto attack to beat them.

The damage is absolutely abysmal too. When it gets to the point that a redline guardian is dealing more damage than you its painfully clear this class needs a buff. And before the "You're not a dps class quit whining" crowd shows up, NEITHER IS THE GUARDIAN and they deal nearly 30% more damage than us. Its gotten to the point that even landscape content is nothing but complete tedium to complete. And you may as well forget being included in any 3 man content. Unless its a 12man raid or a 6man fellow, you're completely useless.

I suggest after the beorning rework that captains get a bit of a look over as well, we have been seriously lagging behind for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeLeggedCow View Post
    The damage is absolutely abysmal too. When it gets to the point that a redline guardian is dealing more damage than you its painfully clear this class needs a buff. And before the "You're not a dps class quit whining" crowd shows up, NEITHER IS THE GUARDIAN and they deal nearly 30% more damage than us. Its gotten to the point that even landscape content is nothing but complete tedium to complete.
    Red Guardian is a dps line, it’s not the same situation. Red Captain seems to be primarily geared towards supporting a group with DPS being secondary to this main role. Those two traitlines certainly shouldn’t have comparable DPS. Unless you want Captain to lose most of its support capabilities all that should be done here is improvements to the solo landscape experience.

And you may as well forget being included in any 3 man content. Unless its a 12man raid or a 6man fellow, you're completely useless.
    Feel like I’m missing something here, last I checked Captains were more than capable of tanking 3/6 man content.
    ~ Balance is a game of give and take, at the end of the day even Beornings need nerfs. ~

Quote Originally Posted by Joedangod View Post
    Red Guardian is a dps line, it’s not the same situation. Red Captain seems to be primarily geared towards supporting a group with DPS being secondary to this main role. Those two traitlines certainly shouldn’t have comparable DPS. Unless you want Captain to lose most of its support capabilities all that should be done here is improvements to the solo landscape experience.

Feel like I’m missing something here, last I checked Captains were more than capable of tanking 3/6 man content.
    I meant as dps. You are a liability in redline for 3 man content. Your only viable spec is to go tank. With the way the legendary weapons are and all the additional gear required is easilly another 200hrs of grinding.

The damage is absolutely abysmal too. When it gets to the point that a redline guardian is dealing more damage than you its painfully clear this class needs a buff. And before the "You're not a dps class quit whining" crowd shows up, NEITHER IS THE GUARDIAN and they deal nearly 30% more damage than us. Its gotten to the point that even landscape content is nothing but complete tedium to complete. And you may as well forget being included in any 3 man content. Unless its a 12man raid or a 6man fellow, you're completely useless.

I suggest after the beorning rework that captains get a bit of a look over as well, we have been seriously lagging behind for years now.
    I meant as dps. You are a liability in redline for 3 man content. Your only viable spec is to go tank. With the way the legendary weapons are and all the additional gear required is easilly another 200hrs of grinding.
    Can you post screen shots of your gear and legacies please?
    Lob
    [EU] Evernight

I totally disagree with captains having abysmal dps. I got mine through the new region in the first few days and it was a breeze. Elite mobs would die under 15 seconds. Normal ones would die in 2 or 3 hits. The Crafting Instances solo take under 10mins, scourge included for most of them. A geared red captain is doing between 25-50% of the single target dps of hunters/rks/champs. That, actually, might be a little too high considering everything else a red captain brings to the dps of a group.
    Regarding 3mans, red captains do have a harder time than other classes, but so does burgs and lms. That said, for all the 3 support focused classes 3mans are doable. On U22 we managed to do CoS t2c with 3 captains (1 yellow 2 red) in under 30 minutes.

I am finding it very tedious on my Captain. The class really needs a “solo” toggle similar to war speech for my minstrel. Nothing to do with it being underpowered per se, just tedious and boring playing solo which I don’t feel on either my minstrel, champion, or hunter. The number of skills needed to maximize personal dps is ridiculous in a solo setting. Just disable marks, heals become self only, and buff the dps and attack duration with a toggle skill.

Yes, because red captain is not a dps traitline. Roles outside of the tank/heal/dps trinity have always struggled for 3 mans and that’s not something that will ever change.
    ~ Balance is a game of give and take, at the end of the day even Beornings need nerfs. ~

Captain dps should be boosted to be in line with yellow burg. Other than that, you need to nerf a lot of things on cappy because they’re incredibly broken and really strong rn. (Tanking)

Sorry for not write properly, its a pitty spanish players dont have a way to explain our problems and impressions about the game, cause we pay as everyone but dont have spanish support.

I've been leveling for 8 years in this game. I have a 115 Burglar, a 115 Warden a 115 Guardian, a 85 RuneKeeper and a 85 hunter, so I know what Im talking about. My impressions, after U23, with a Captain are horribe, so leveling at Broadacres.

Im a 94 lvl Captain, with jewelery lvl 140 and higher get at Epic Battles, armour lvl 140 and higher get at quests and Epic quests, 85 lvl 2nd age 2H sword and 85 lvl 2nd age emblem. 14th lvl Charity, 12th lvl Innocence, 12th lvl Compassion, 10th lvl Fidelity, 10th lvl Honour... And its really really hard to finish lvl 91 Brigands in the Wild quest. If I manage it with red line trait, dps its fine, but Im so squishy that if I use any AoE skill I get killed really fast. If I manage in yellow line trait, without using any AoE skill, my dps is so low that every NPC die, so I cannot finish the quest. Im thinking to pass by this quest and go to Stonedeans and continue there, and come back when I get a higher lvl.

After all this comments the epilogue its clear, Captain must have a review cause game has come really unbalanced for us.

Hope devs read this and help us quickly, and thanks for reading my post,

Best regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarefolk View Post
    Sorry for not write properly, its a pitty spanish players dont have a way to explain our problems and impressions about the game, cause we pay as everyone but dont have spanish support.

I've been leveling for 8 years in this game. I have a 115 Burglar, a 115 Warden a 115 Guardian, a 85 RuneKeeper and a 85 hunter, so I know what Im talking about. My impressions, after U23, with a Captain are horribe, so leveling at Broadacres.

Im a 94 lvl Captain, with jewelery lvl 140 and higher get at Epic Battles, armour lvl 140 and higher get at quests and Epic quests, 85 lvl 2nd age 2H sword and 85 lvl 2nd age emblem. 14th lvl Charity, 12th lvl Innocence, 12th lvl Compassion, 10th lvl Fidelity, 10th lvl Honour... And its really really hard to finish lvl 91 Brigands in the Wild quest. If I manage it with red line trait, dps its fine, but Im so squishy that if I use any AoE skill I get killed really fast. If I manage in yellow line trait, without using any AoE skill, my dps is so low that every NPC die, so I cannot finish the quest. Im thinking to pass by this quest and go to Stonedeans and continue there, and come back when I get a higher lvl.

After all this comments the epilogue its clear, Captain must have a review cause game has come really unbalanced for us.

Hope devs read this and help us quickly, and thanks for reading my post,

Best regards.
    You can try a few things if you haven't already:
    1 - Get a lvl 86+ weapon even if it's a third age. Reason being there is a big jump on item stats, especially weapon dps, from lvl 85 to 86. At least there used to be one, not sure if it's the case with U23, but you can check it out when you find a lvl 86+ weapon.
    2 - Use revealing mark on the dps target. If your dps is good enough on red line as you claim, you should be able to get enough healing from it to survive. I don't recommend going yellow line for quests as it makes it 10 times slower.
    3 - Abuse Fighting Withdrawal. Don't care about the stun removal, for 30 seconds you get + 60% parry which means taking almost no dmg on melee encounters, which are the vast majority.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Issack View Post
    You can try a few things if you haven't already:
    1 - Get a lvl 86+ weapon even if it's a third age. Reason being there is a big jump on item stats, especially weapon dps, from lvl 85 to 86. At least there used to be one, not sure if it's the case with U23, but you can check it out when you find a lvl 86+ weapon.
    2 - Use revealing mark on the dps target. If your dps is good enough on red line as you claim, you should be able to get enough healing from it to survive. I don't recommend going yellow line for quests as it makes it 10 times slower.
    3 - Abuse Fighting Withdrawal. Don't care about the stun removal, for 30 seconds you get + 60% parry which means taking almost no dmg on melee encounters, which are the vast majority.
    Thanks a million, Ill use all these tips you gave me and Ill feedback you with the results. Very kind of you to write the post.

Best regards.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perfect, night and day, awesome change in gameplay... There are no words to say how have changed all. As I said yesterday to you thanks a million.

Best regards.
    Last edited by Rarefolk; Nov 15 2018 at 03:23 AM.