We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Noob question

Noob question

I hit "proficient" on journeyman weaponsmith,but the little bar graph isn't there to go to "Mastery"...it is on "Novice"... I am confused

I forget exactly what was required at that level, but one question is, did you master the previous tier? A little while back it was changed that you can keep advancing in tiers, but can't open mastery until previous tiers were done.

Quote Originally Posted by poppascoop View Post
    I hit "proficient" on journeyman weaponsmith,but the little bar graph isn't there to go to "Mastery"...it is on "Novice"... I am confused
    This might be the point at which they push you towards crafting guild membership, you have to go visit a Master Craftsman and do a quest (I think). It has been a while and I am a bit hazy on the details. Skill wont progress until you have done it.

I dont think you HAVE to join a guild; I seem to have a metalsmith who isnt.

To progress a crafting tier from Proficient to Master you must have completed the previous tier to Master (must have yellow bar and brown and yellow anvil on previous tier).

Also, to progress beyond Expert tier you (used to?) have to do a quest which you can get from any Novice craft NPC for your particualr craft - so Novice Weaponsmith if you're a Weaponsmith, etc. I'm not sure if this is still a requirement as it's a long time since I levelled any crafting.
    Last edited by Altair6; Aug 11 2018 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Altair6 View Post
    To progress a crafting tier from Proficient to Master you must have completed the previous tier to Master (must have yellow bar and brown and yellow anvil on previous tier).
    Will try this.

And I did get a pop up saying I could now join a guild around when I noticed the bar graph thing was no longer there

Thanks for all the replies!

Edit: Just FYI I got Novice to master and the journeyman progress bar opened right up....so that was it for future reference
    Now to guild or not to guild,that is the question.......
    Last edited by poppascoop; Aug 11 2018 at 08:35 PM.

Right now, I'd say being a guilded crafter isn't so important, and I say that as someone who has every guild except Tailor's Guild covered.

Being a guilded crafter gives you access to better recipes, but those recipes require special ingredients and many guild recipes have cooldown periods before you can use them again. Back when the level cap was lower, when you hit level cap and wanted to upgrade your gear without grinding for raid gear, guild crafted gear was a popular option, and the level cap meant you could expect to use that gear for quite a while. It also meant that the gear from guild recipes was in demand for longer, so recipe cooldowns were less of an issue.

At the moment, there are no crafting guild recipes relevant to the current level cap, and if you are playing regularly, you will level up faster than you can effectively use guild recipes, especially for something like jeweller where you would need to make multiple rings, bracelets and earrings to produce a full set of guild jewellery and have to deal with recipe cooldowns while making that jewellery set.

Crafting has not been treated well by the game management between level 100 - 115. There are lvl 115 crafting recipes, but they don't need guild membership and in most cases level 115 bartered gear has better stats than level 115 crafted gear.

SSG has already announced that the next zone for the game will raise the level cap to 120. SSG have not released any details about crafting for the new zone. Guilds might become relevant again, but until we see a beta test of the new zone, we have no idea what to expect for crafting in the next zone. Besides, you can always work on guild rep any time you want.

The short version, guild recipes make more sense at the level cap because the guild gear stays relevant for longer and recipe cooldowns are less of an issue. There are no guild recipes at the current level cap and we have no information if there will be any guild recipes at the next level cap. Ignore the guilds for the time being. If the next level cap makes guilds relevant again, you can always work on guild rep when you know it will be useful. If guilds are not going to be relevant at the new level cap, avoid wasting time to grind rep that will only be of limited use to you.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)

Quote Originally Posted by GarethB View Post
    Right now, I'd say being a guilded crafter isn't so important, and I say that as someone who has every guild except Tailor's Guild covered.

Being a guilded crafter gives you access to better recipes, but those recipes require special ingredients and many guild recipes have cooldown periods before you can use them again. Back when the level cap was lower, when you hit level cap and wanted to upgrade your gear without grinding for raid gear, guild crafted gear was a popular option, and the level cap meant you could expect to use that gear for quite a while. It also meant that the gear from guild recipes was in demand for longer, so recipe cooldowns were less of an issue.

At the moment, there are no crafting guild recipes relevant to the current level cap, and if you are playing regularly, you will level up faster than you can effectively use guild recipes, especially for something like jeweller where you would need to make multiple rings, bracelets and earrings to produce a full set of guild jewellery and have to deal with recipe cooldowns while making that jewellery set.

Crafting has not been treated well by the game management between level 100 - 115. There are lvl 115 crafting recipes, but they don't need guild membership and in most cases level 115 bartered gear has better stats than level 115 crafted gear.

SSG has already announced that the next zone for the game will raise the level cap to 120. SSG have not released any details about crafting for the new zone. Guilds might become relevant again, but until we see a beta test of the new zone, we have no idea what to expect for crafting in the next zone. Besides, you can always work on guild rep any time you want.

The short version, guild recipes make more sense at the level cap because the guild gear stays relevant for longer and recipe cooldowns are less of an issue. There are no guild recipes at the current level cap and we have no information if there will be any guild recipes at the next level cap. Ignore the guilds for the time being. If the next level cap makes guilds relevant again, you can always work on guild rep when you know it will be useful. If guilds are not going to be relevant at the new level cap, avoid wasting time to grind rep that will only be of limited use to you.
    I think you are being generous; non guild crafting is nerfed from Westfold for most classes, only 1-2 items every 3 or so levels, then almost nothing. There is also a huge gap in-between L50's and L70's in the guild gear.

Because you cannot do the guild gear without guild rep, and you can only get guild rep by doing special recipes that have days, to over a week of cool down, you do need to join earlier,rather than later if you want the better guild gear on the way up.

Obviously, you can buy the rep, same as you can buy your way to L115, but the game is getting their, and not the end game itself - something none of the noob AoV crowd understand (so we feel pity/contempt for them).

Making guild gear while levelling comes back to "how long will a guild item be useful for?". I'd say about 5 xp levels, depending on exactly what the item is.

Guild gear is nice to have while levelling, and depending on which craft the OP joins, they may only make a small number of items. That's fine if the crafting can keep up with how fast the character levels up. On the other hand, is it worth grinding guild rep if you only make one or two guild items every 5 or in some cases only every 10 levels?

Depending on how often you play, if you are trying to put together a full set of guild armour or jewellery for a particular level, you can easily outlevel that set of gear before you finished making it due to recipe cooldowns.

Guild recipes basically stop at level 95. The level cap is now 115 with no new guild recipes, and level 120 is on the horizon. The level cap will probably stay at 120 for a while, at least 6 months, probably longer. If level 120 has new guild recipes, sure, go guild. If it doesn't, I genuinely don't see the point of going guild for recipes that create gear with ingredient and cooldown bottlenecks and are outlevelled after 5 or so xp levels. The guilds stop being useful 20 levels below the current level cap, and will be 25 levels below the level cap later this year.

Until we know if the guilds will continue to be relevant in the future, I'm far from convinced that it's worth the time end effort to grind the rep for them right now, and that's from someone who already has multiple crafting toons with maxed guild rep.

It's not the guilds per se that are the problem, it's the inconsistent way that crafting as a whole has been treated in the game that is the problem.

OP, my advice is if you want to craft, go ahead, you can make reasonably decent gear without being in a guild. Just have the best crafting tools you can get and there are scrolls created by the scholar craft that buff your crafting skills. For now, guilds are not worth the effort until SSG lets us know if guilds will be relevant in future updates.

If you farm the landscape as you go, you should be able to stay ahead on guild v character level, my Guardian Hobbit is L71, yet has Guild up to Eastment.

Landscape questing is so easy these days that the real challenge comes from going into areas where you are totally outclassed to gather the materials you need for your craft; I was going out past MT gathering ore when my Hunter was still L77, and in the Misty Mountain, up by the giants at L30-ish.

As a noob I should warn you, it IS possible to kill Purple mobs, but it isnt easy, and you dont gain any XP from the kill. This is to stop low level alts from rapidly levelling up by teaming up with a higher cap player. Apart from that, the higher the mob is above your level, the more XP you get from the kill.

As an example, a certain mob at white might earn you 30XP, at green it might be ~100XP, and at red 500+XP.

Most mobs dont swim very fast, so if you are a distance hitter, like Hunter, Minstrel, Lore Master, or RK, swimming out to the edge of your range and then firing at a red mob means it will be dead before it reaches you (usually). I used to "farm" this beach in East Wall, Rohan, because it was covered in orcs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GarethB View Post
    Depending on how often you play, if you are trying to put together a full set of guild armour or jewellery for a particular level, you can easily outlevel that set of gear before you finished making it due to recipe cooldowns.
    That would piss me off so bad,lol

But anyways,I am just a lvl 23ish working on weaponsmith...I just finished grinding deeds in the Bree area to get store points for a horse.Not looking to sign up for something else that needs grinding,besides xp and crafting.
    Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by poppascoop View Post
    That would piss me off so bad,lol

But anyways,I am just a lvl 23ish working on weaponsmith...I just finished grinding deeds in the Bree area to get store points for a horse.Not looking to sign up for something else that needs grinding,besides xp and crafting.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Get the wallet unlocked first, you cannot buy anything worthwhile for 2 Gold these days. Plus riding around means you neglect your kill deeds.

I only recently realized that there are no guild recipes at Anorien or above, which is disappointing.
    But I always did find them to be helpful on the march to lvl 100.

And as far as I know, being in a guild is the only way to craft lvl 100 LI FA weapons and items, which can then be imbued and taken to lvl 115

Quote Originally Posted by Occum View Post
    I only recently realized that there are no guild recipes at Anorien or above, which is disappointing.
    But I always did find them to be helpful on the march to lvl 100.

And as far as I know, being in a guild is the only way to craft lvl 100 LI FA weapons and items, which can then be imbued and taken to lvl 115
    Yes, it is the only way to craft them, assuming you can fight for, find or buy the resources to do so.

You can barter for lvl 100 1st Age LI weapons by collecting tokens from lvl 100 "roving threat" quests. Lvl 100 1st Age non weapon LI's such as burg tools, champ runes, mini books, etc. cannot be bartered. Those can only be crafted. If you are a Hunter or Warden, you only have weapon LI's, so you don't need to craft any LI's, you can get all the lvl 100 1st Age LI's you need from bartering.

FA legendaries can also be commissioned from another crafter.

General rules:
    To open mastery of a tier and ability to crit requires completion of prior tier mastery.
    Guild can be joined upon unlocking expert tier.
    Once expert proficiency is filled up, most professions require a quest given by expert vendor to unlock artisan (i.e. expert scholar to unlock scholar artisan)

If someone is at tier 9 (Westemnet) it takes 22 days to max out guild standings from 0 if all emblems are made every day.

Lower levels (up to 60) go by real fast, gear matters little and Moria entrance quests yield some real good rewards. Afterwards, guild crafted armors/weapons can be VERY useful. You often do not need every piece. Typically 1 or 2 to fill in missing stuff. If you start leveling an alt and create proper guild emblems weekly, you can get a nice stash by the time armor is needed.
    Another option is bartering recipes with region currency by the main.

Doomfold has two guild recipes in each profession for gaining ash and allegiance rep. Can be handy when starting Mordor.

And some crafted Doomfold gear is darn good. (Teal head/neck/pocket superior recipes)