We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Call to Arms - A Laurelin Community PVMP Event

Posted on behalf of Squelcher...

Laurelin players,

A quick introduction for those who may not know me: my name is Squelcher. I'm the leader of the Monster Play tribe Rogues Gallery, and an active creep raid leader. My tribe and I originated on Gilrain, but when faced with the server merges, I brought us here to Laurelin, and we have been present here ever since. Having been part of the Laurelin community for nearly three years now, I've grown fond of this server and in light of that, I've realised that there is a growing problem that threatens the survival of PVMP here.

To put it bluntly, PVMP on Laurelin is dying a very slow, but inexorable death. The population is ever dwindling, and while there is a resurgence every now and then, the overall trend is one of decline. This is due to many factors such as the game's overall population shrinkage (which is normal in an MMO life cycle), the greater importance of PVE content in the eyes of the developers and the rather poor balance situation. A lot of creep players, even veterans, have found themselves utterly demoralised by the overwhelming - almost insurmountable in some cases - power of their freep counterparts, and have become inactive in the hopes that the balance may be improved in the future.

I've been playing creepside for a very long time, and I've been playing the Lord of the Rings Online as a whole for even longer. If history has shown me anything, it's that Turbine and its successor, Standing Stone Games, do not view PVMP as a priority in any respect. I'm not here to gripe about that; it does make its own kind of sense in a way. I bring this up because what it means is that we as a community cannot sit back and wait for SSG to step in and take action to reinvigorate the PVMP community. To my knowledge, SSG are aware of the ongoing imbalance in PVMP and have stated they plan to take action, but they are unable to give any timeframe on when that will materialise and even if we knew for a fact when they will act, we don't know that it will really make things any better.

What I propose is that we take matters into our own hands to revive the community. In my opinion, the dwindling population comes as a result of a snowballing effect. Simply put, players quit because other players quit. Creep A may quit the game because he is unhappy with the balance, but the knock-on effect is that creep B quits because his buddy creep A is gone, and then freep X quits because creep A and B are gone and there's no action anymore. We can't directly address the core issue that makes creep A quit, but we can as a community work together to repair the lack of action that is the true killer of PVMP on Laurelin.

To get to the point, my suggestion is a community-driven event taking place from Monday the 27th of August until Sunday the 2nd of September. During this time period, all players of Laurelin are invited to come to the Ettenmoors for a week of PVMP action both large-scale and small-scale. I will be personally leading as many creep groups and raids as I possibly can, and I guarantee that I will be working to maintain sustainable, mutually enjoyable action to the best of my ability. However, I obviously can only control creepside. In order to ensure that both sides will reap the rewards of this event, I have already consulted with several prominent members of the freepside community (including PVMP raid leaders) and we have agreed that communication between the leadership of each faction will be constant. In essence, the leaders on freepside will have a direct line of communication open to me which will allow for management of numbers on both sides and will allow us to work together to prevent major imbalance and to create the most enjoyable action that we have seen on Laurelin in recent memory.

The action I hope to create will primarily take the form of raid vs raid battles in the evenings. Many of you who are familiar with raid vs raid in PVMP will know that quite often a situation can arise whereby one side becomes overwhelmingly dominant, be it due to a numbers advantage or simply being more organised. I am keenly aware of this possibility, and I intend to counter it by using the communication I referred to above. There will be some informal "rules of engagement" that the leaders of both sides will follow. Basically, a sort of "natural balance" will be maintained by both sides as much as possible. For example, if I find myself with 30 creeps at my disposal against only 20 freeps, and the freeps are pushed all the way back to Glan Vraig, the freep leader could contact me and let me know that they are vastly outnumbered. To deal with this, I may allow the freeps to take a keep and an extra outpost unopposed, or I may ask a few creeps to log over to freepside to balance the numbers. This could work both ways. Because this communication would only occur between the leadership of each faction, the general faction split would be maintained and there would be no risk of spying; the communication would only be used to maintain balance and other than that, the flow of the action would be allowed to regulate itself as it has in years gone by.

In addition to large raid battles, I also intend to organise spars on one section of the map (LC HS is what we used on Gilrain, and is still an ideal spot). This would of course depend on what people want but in my experience spars are a a phenomenal way for people to learn both the basics and the intricacies of PVP. Aside from regular 1v1 spars, using the line of communication between the faction leadership, 2v2, 3v3 or larger group spars could also be organised.

Creeps and freeps, I realise this is an ambitious undertaking, but I believe it is very achievable. I have already begun recalling inactive Rogues Gallery veterans and I am asking that the other creep tribes do the same with their veterans. All going well, I anticipate that my tribe alone will be capable of fielding at least a full raid, so I am also asking that all freep kins, regardless of PVMP experience, invite their members to come to the Ettenmoors for this event. Veterans on freepside will be there to lead groups and help any newcomers to get the most out of this event. I welcome the entire Laurelin community to participate on either faction and I openly assure players that my raids on creepside will be inclusive of all players and will not discriminate based on rank, tribe or prior PVMP experience. I want to resurrect the PVMP community on Laurelin by showing inactive veterans that the Moors are still open for business, and by demonstrating to the entire community that PVMP is not a niche, exclusive activity - it is the dark horse of LotRO which can bring more thrill than any other facet of the game.

I invite everyone and anyone who is interested in this event to show their support in this thread, and to offer suggestions or simply ask questions. This event is for the whole community, not just hardcore PVMP players. Come along, have fun, and bask in the spoils of war.

I hope to see you on the battlefield.

- Squelcher
    I've blackened the sun and I've bloodied the moon.

Nice, thanks for organizing the event! I'll pass info onto my kin and will definitely come myself

As for the work on PvsMP, for those interested, here is what Ciccolini said in the last interview (quoting): So, right now, once you get class balance, it will make it much easier for PvMP. What we would like to do is, we definitely want to update them at some point to be equal to the freeps again since we’re doing another level update in Grey Mountains, sometime after that, we’re going to have to update them. After that, I would like to see a system where they progress, at least a little bit, so if they play a lot they can actually become champions or a system like that. But I don’t know when we’ll get to that because right now our plan is… our lore people have a great plan for an ongoing epic storyline. and some of the stuff they’re talking about is really exciting, but eventually, we want to make sure that players return to Minas Morgul and that will be a big fight, a big thing in terms of ongoing stories that we’re working on. So the player monsters will probably be well after Grey Mountains once we get to that, because we need to see how they balance and we need to finish the class balance because one of the challenges up til now is what do we balance them against? If we balance them against Burglars, once all the classes are in a much better place, it will be easier to bump them up so they can be competitive.

So yeah, gonna take quite some time until they start working on it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirhaen View Post
    Nice, thanks for organizing the event! I'll pass info onto my kin and will definitely come myself

As for the work on PvsMP, for those interested, here is what Ciccolini said in the last interview (quoting): So, right now, once you get class balance, it will make it much easier for PvMP. What we would like to do is, we definitely want to update them at some point to be equal to the freeps again since we’re doing another level update in Grey Mountains, sometime after that, we’re going to have to update them. After that, I would like to see a system where they progress, at least a little bit, so if they play a lot they can actually become champions or a system like that. But I don’t know when we’ll get to that because right now our plan is… our lore people have a great plan for an ongoing epic storyline. and some of the stuff they’re talking about is really exciting, but eventually, we want to make sure that players return to Minas Morgul and that will be a big fight, a big thing in terms of ongoing stories that we’re working on. So the player monsters will probably be well after Grey Mountains once we get to that, because we need to see how they balance and we need to finish the class balance because one of the challenges up til now is what do we balance them against? If we balance them against Burglars, once all the classes are in a much better place, it will be easier to bump them up so they can be competitive.

So yeah, gonna take quite some time until they start working on it again.
    Thank you for that info, Mirhaen, although I personally am always wary when they promise to fix things in the moors. We lost bridge flipping due to one of those 'fixes', and elf and orc camp magically moved O.O :P

I will try advertise the event in world chat, with a link leading to this thread. Hopefully curiosity can be generated among those who do not usually frequent the moors <3
    My brothers and sisters, a day may come when we grow-up, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the Age of Gaming comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we play!
    ~Tinyfangs/Tinypaws/Alinchen~

Quote Originally Posted by Starina View Post
    Thank you for that info, Mirhaen, although I personally am always wary when they promise to fix things in the moors. We lost bridge flipping due to one of those 'fixes', and elf and orc camp magically moved O.O :P

I will try advertise the event in world chat, with a link leading to this thread. Hopefully curiosity can be generated among those who do not usually frequent the moors <3
    You are welcome If interested, here is the link to full interview, bits and peaces of what is yet to come: http://www.mmo-central.com/2018/08/0...lin-ciccolini/

Cya later in Moors for some action and fun Starina <3

Thank you for this !

Whether there is friendship or enmity, it is important to think as well,

I will come !

Nienorë Ellensar.

Best of luck on a fun event!
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Quote Originally Posted by Makawulf View Post
    Posted on behalf of Squelcher...
    Well I hope this means that Tarthalian has finally cleaned his loin cloths

Good to hear from old RG folks....

Anyway good luck with the fun and lets hope you know who doesn't rear their ugly heads for their usual shenanigans.
    Last edited by mithelenthor; Aug 13 2018 at 01:34 PM.

We hope to see you all in battlefield!
    I've blackened the sun and I've bloodied the moon.

Thumbs up

I would very much like to take part in this event,but as a tradition at a time when it will be good I will be absent.)Good luck!Maybe this will really help to regain its former glory MOORS

I have polished the runestone in preparation, see you guys on the battlefield tomorrow!!
    Canesia - Guardian, Maeluivrennil - RK
    Leader of Phoenix Legion on Laurelin
    Leader of Innocent raid alliance