We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fresh start server

Vintage mmorpgs are and have been coming out with fresh start servers. Having played on many, lotro would be a perfect game to do it. It would revitalize the game, bring in more players, and add something for veteran players. Lotro can be very overwhelming for new players and a fresh start server is perfect for them. Me personally would love to see a fresh start with all classes and current abilities, races, and revamped zones. Have all endgame content gated of course. Would love to hear your opinion on the matter... Many mmorpgs have and huge success with fresh start servers
    For every Victory, you have a excuse. For every loss, you have a reason. I am Sergeant-at-Arms Haioden Oakshield the wary, Protector of Glân Vraig. Flee from me or perish. Fear the Spear

Quote Originally Posted by haydenfisher3422 View Post
    Vintage mmorpgs are and have been coming out with fresh start servers. Having played on many, lotro would be a perfect game to do it. It would revitalize the game, bring in more players, and add something for veteran players. Lotro can be very overwhelming for new players and a fresh start server is perfect for them. Me personally would love to see a fresh start with all classes and current abilities, races, and revamped zones. Have all endgame content gated of course. Would love to hear your opinion on the matter... Many mmorpgs have and huge success with fresh start servers
    What do you mean by a "fresh start server"? Just a new server?
    What would the point be? How would it be different from just creating a new character on an existing server?

Fresh start server is a server that just starts out with content pertaining to angmar. And gating future content to later dates. Fresh start servers usually try to emulate the game as it was back then. I.e taking out alot of the quality of life changes like group finder and a queue up system. Making it as close to original as possible.
    For every Victory, you have a excuse. For every loss, you have a reason. I am Sergeant-at-Arms Haioden Oakshield the wary, Protector of Glân Vraig. Flee from me or perish. Fear the Spear

So you speaking of nö traittrees only six classtraits, old mechanics for tanking etc?
    Or just locking the current endcontent. So you have angmar and lauter moria...as the endcontent with the current game mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukor View Post
    So you speaking of nö traittrees only six classtraits, old mechanics for tanking etc?
    Or just locking the current endcontent. So you have angmar and lauter moria...as the endcontent with the current game mechanics.
    There will be those that are # no changes but I like and dislike certain things. Me personally I like no dungeon finder, don't like you can be ported to the instance. I like new talent trees, I like the new classes. I Like the new graphics. Again my opinion... But if they where to go back to original I would still play it. It was fun back then.

There will be those that are # no changes but I like and dislike certain things. Me personally I like no dungeon finder, don't like you can be ported to the instance. I like new talent trees, I like the new classes. I Like the new graphics. Again my opinion... But if they where to go back to original I would still play it. It was fun back then.
    It's just that the old instances/Raid are no challenge anymore even on Level through the New mechamics/traittrees.

I'm sure the team would consider that and tune instances accordingly.

I don't think SSG has the manpower or resources to do something of that magnitude. Hell, Blizzard is making tons of money and they are the biggest gorilla in the MMO business, and even they are having issues with making classic servers that are just copies of their old way of doing things.

I just don't see SSG being able to do what you are suggesting.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I don't think SSG has the manpower or resources to do something of that magnitude. Hell, Blizzard is making tons of money and they are the biggest gorilla in the MMO business, and even they are having issues with making classic servers that are just copies of their old way of doing things.

But what they could do is starting a new server and disable moria and all content beyond that for the first 1 oder 2 years. Then slowly expand the world step by step like back in the days. Rift made this in a similar way (but with no free2play) and it seems pretty successful.

This has been discussed numerous times. Ain't gonna happen. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Dinara View Post
    Can you link me to those discussions please?

I like and dislike certain things.
    And therein lies the problem... You're going to get folks with I want this, I don't want that, if it has this I won't play, if it doesn't have it, I won't play... We get that now on live--people saying they are quitting over the most inane stuff. I really doubt they will use their resources to start a fresh server when they have so much new content they can create.

Can you link me to those discussions please?
    Just search for “classic servers”.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Thurinuor View Post
    But what they could do is starting a new server and disable moria and all content beyond that for the first 1 oder 2 years. Then slowly expand the world step by step like back in the days. Rift made this in a similar way (but with no free2play) and it seems pretty successful.
    Sorry for the double post, I’m on my phone. I don’t think it’s thst easy from a technical perspective. Possible yes, but maybe not viable on the ROI(return on investment).

Just in case anyone is wondering, I’m not against the suggestion. I just cannot see this happening.

EverQuest, which is also under Daybreak, had in recent years been starting up progression servers around same idea, and they were all the rage fir a while. But all too quickly, people realized their nostalgia for 'good old times' was just that. Those servers are kinda stagnating now as people are going back to their mains.

Just search for “classic servers”.
    Or Vanilla Server

Classic server discussions have been around forever. It's an interesting topic. Fresh Start is a good name for it, better than "classic" which suggests old. Devs had said in the past that old versions of instances like Garth Agarwen, Great Barrow and Fornost no longer exist, which is a shame if true (surprising if true).

I think the biggest problem with the server would be the definition of what a fresh start would entail. You would have to hit the right mix of nostalgia and popular updates to make the game feel old without without all of the old weaknesses. Then there's also the issue of the message you're sending as a developer: "Hey, play our old content developed by people no longer with our company because that's better than what we can do now."

All that said, I'd be all for my version, which would be all the landscape we currently have with Book 14 SOA balance and loot tables. That would mean no LI's, no Instance Join, no daily instances, no shared wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinara View Post
    Actually, this hasn't been discussed much. What has been discussed often is "classic" servers where everything is like it used to be at some point in time - which unfortunately is most unlikely to happen.

This proposition seems to be for a server with all current game mechanics, but with only parts of the world available at the start and more unlocked over time.

Personally I don't think this is a good idea - or at best a "meh" idea.
    Most of the older endgame content (level 50, 60, 65, etc) is no longer a challenge at those levels due to changed mechanics, and doing any actual changes to the content (and thus having to maintain two different versions of the content) would take more time and resources than I think SSG can afford.

Exactly.

Not only do they not have the budget for putting an entire new server together ....

Turbine > SSG learned LONG AGO that special-rules servers don't pay for themselves.

OP, if you want to start from scratch, make a new alt and buy him/her the Stone of the Tortoise so you can do all the low-level quests without getting any over-level than you want to. Equip and unequip the Stone at whatever stage you choose, so you're not fighting red or purple mobs.

Unless you really want to.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

None of us know what resources SSG has... They could have everything needed... Putting on a trinket and thinking your gonna get groups for old content isn't going to work. Again, this is for new players and vetern players that are overwhelmed with the magnitude of this game. A fresh start makes it manageable. It Will bring in players. And if and when in does die down they can add moria....and other expansions over time. And when that does die down server merge. All solutions. I've played on private servers that have done fresh starts and wow it's impressive. Currently on Northdale (wow) over 10k online. Old content is being played, easy to group, fun to raid. Lotro needs a breath of fresh air, new company, new fresh server would bring the community together.

None of us know what resources SSG has... They could have everything needed... Putting on a trinket and thinking your gonna get groups for old content isn't going to work. Again, this is for new players and vetern players that are overwhelmed with the magnitude of this game. A fresh start makes it manageable. It Will bring in players. And if and when in does die down they can add moria....and other expansions over time. And when that does die down server merge. All solutions. I've played on private servers that have done fresh starts and wow it's impressive. Currently on Northdale (wow) over 10k online. Old content is being played, easy to group, fun to raid. Lotro needs a breath of fresh air, new company, new fresh server would bring the community together.
    I think you are extremely over-optimistic as to how many people would be interested in this.
    Play on a server that is just like the other ones, except 60% of the game is unavailable? Doesn't sound very interesting to me, nor would it make anything more manageable.

Getting a group to play old content with the XP disable is actually working quite good. Many such groups exist on different servers.

Your "fresh server" concept sounds like a non-solution in search of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Starliteyes View Post
    And therein lies the problem... You're going to get folks with I want this, I don't want that, if it has this I won't play, if it doesn't have it, I won't play... We get that now on live--people saying they are quitting over the most inane stuff. I really doubt they will use their resources to start a fresh server when they have so much new content they can create.
    Yup. You can't please everybody; most of the time you're lucky if you can please anybody.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

One thing I have learned in playing MMOs is that nothing is easy as forum posters say they are. I bet they already looked at the idea of classic or fresh start servers and determined the costs and possible returns of doing something like that.

I don’t agree with everything they do, but they are not stupid.

One thing I have learned in playing MMOs is that nothing is easy as forum posters say they are. I bet they already looked at the idea of classic or fresh start servers and determined the costs and possible returns of doing something like that.

I don’t agree with everything they do, but they are not stupid.
    Why is it that other companies have done this and seen a spike in new and returning players. If I was SSG I would jump all over the new idea of fresh start servers other companies are profiting from. But hey, archage, rift, etc they don't know what they are doing....they making huge mistakes by doing this...losing money...sure ok

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast