We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lightbulb Class Idea: Soldier

First off, this is just a concept... I do not expect this to make it to the game. Really, it's just for fun, but seeing as it is a suggestion for a new class... why not?

So here we go.
    Class name: soldier.
    races that can use it: humans, elves, high elves, dwarves.
    basic idea: so a soldier is a support class, usually doing Melee damage. the three trait trees are for different aspects of a soldier: melee, ranged, and healing. none of them are any better than the other, and none of them are particularly any good. they are also no stronger than the main class for that style. for example, the healing tree will not make the soldier a better healer than a minstrel.

Soldiers will also get a move at level 25 where they are able to summon 3 soldiers from nearby to fight for 10 seconds... the amount of time will increase every level by a little bit. the soldiers take the form of the type of race that is native to the area. for example, if you are in Moria you will get 3 dwarf soldiers.

Soldiers can use swords, bows, crossbows, spears, axes, daggers, and maces. They can wear all types of armor.
    basic moves: for ranged, basically the moves will be nerfed versions of the hunter's moves... barbed arrow, and quick shot, at least. there are other moves, but there will only be about 5-8 moves that come from each trait tree.
    melee is a combination of heavy strikes based after champion, lighter strikes that crit based off of burglar, and some regular slashes, jabs... that thing.
    Healing: self-heal, group heal, several regeneration and armor buffs, none of which are too powerful.

Soldiers are best in a group with other soldiers, where they can easily switch trait trees and basically become a well-oiled machine. They also work well in place of hunters or captains. It is not advised to replace a minstrel with these, as the healing moves are none too spectacular.

I hope you all enjoyed reading this, and developers: feel free to use some ideas for a new class or something. I don't expect anything to happen, but still, feel free to check some of this out.

Interesting Idea, especially the group of soldiers

It was my impression that Warden represented the "soldier" class, but they are solo beasts
    “Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.”? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Quote Originally Posted by Meepinater View Post
    and none of them are particularly any good

If the class doesn´t have a proper competitive role, it won´t be wanted in groups. Like champions before the last class balance. Or beos from day 1 until today.

Also, it is very restrictive for grouping if the best fellows are other soldiers.
    Ich bin kein Deutscher, sorry für Grammatik
    Eglish isn't my native language, sorry for mistakes

Like the captain class, but with multiple and more meaningful minions? If the captain could have all heralds and archer out then you have the 4 'soldiers'

Captain IS a soldier, or mercenary. Depends on one's point of view. I believe the class was made after Swiss mercenaries. Halberd points on it vividly: a pretty useless weapon outside formation.

thank you all for the feedback! like I said, I don't expect this to make it to the game, or even be considered...
    but thank you nonetheless.

I think we are beyond new classes but hey, the travesty that is Beorning made it so who knows?......

If this had been implemented instead of Beorning that would have been nice.
    It could be the answer to solo players who prefer not to group. They could actually do some of the 3-6-12 mans. Give them as many soldiers as the space permits and if more RL players join then decrease soldiers accordingly.

Imagine the QQ in the moors when this would be instantly abused.

It is a fun idea but far out of the capabilities of this dev team to even consider. They can't even balance what we have now and adding another with multiple soldiers would probably make lag a huge factor also.

Best class/race idea heard in a while though as would have been fun
    ----A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything----

Quote Originally Posted by LabadalofDorlomin View Post

Imagine the QQ in the moors when this would be instantly abused.
    Imagine the free infamy. :P
    Università degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza" Sapienza University of Rome

Graduate PhD con lode Scienze della Politica

Quote Originally Posted by Meepinater View Post
    First off, this is just a concept... I do not expect this to make it to the game. Really, it's just for fun, but seeing as it is a suggestion for a new class... why not?

So here we go.
    Class name: soldier.
    races that can use it: humans, elves, high elves, dwarves.
    basic idea: so a soldier is a support class, usually doing Melee damage. the three trait trees are for different aspects of a soldier: melee, ranged, and healing. none of them are any better than the other, and none of them are particularly any good. they are also no stronger than the main class for that style. for example, the healing tree will not make the soldier a better healer than a minstrel.

Soldiers will also get a move at level 25 where they are able to summon 3 soldiers from nearby to fight for 10 seconds... the amount of time will increase every level by a little bit. the soldiers take the form of the type of race that is native to the area. for example, if you are in Moria you will get 3 dwarf soldiers.

Soldiers can use swords, bows, crossbows, spears, axes, daggers, and maces. They can wear all types of armor.
    basic moves: for ranged, basically the moves will be nerfed versions of the hunter's moves... barbed arrow, and quick shot, at least. there are other moves, but there will only be about 5-8 moves that come from each trait tree.
    melee is a combination of heavy strikes based after champion, lighter strikes that crit based off of burglar, and some regular slashes, jabs... that thing.
    Healing: self-heal, group heal, several regeneration and armor buffs, none of which are too powerful.

Soldiers are best in a group with other soldiers, where they can easily switch trait trees and basically become a well-oiled machine. They also work well in place of hunters or captains. It is not advised to replace a minstrel with these, as the healing moves are none too spectacular.

I hope you all enjoyed reading this, and developers: feel free to use some ideas for a new class or something. I don't expect anything to happen, but still, feel free to check some of this out.
    Basically are classes in LOTRO are already soldiers.

~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~