We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Best heroes and villains in LOTRO - who would you choose?

Following a thread in which I was considering the stories which could be developed if Mordor was expanded, I made a claim about who I thought were some of the best villains in the game. That got me thinking - who are people's favourite heroes and villains that LOTRO has to offer?

I suggest that a way of doing this could be to list your top 3 of each and explain why. This thread will, inevitably, contain story spoilers! I'm also sticking to Turbine/SSG creations - it seems easier than pitting them against Tolkien's own characters (or at least those characters he spent a lot of time on, so Saruman, Sauron, Aragorn, Theoden, Eowyn etc.)

So here's mine!

Villains:
    1) Mordirith/Gothmog (same character)
    2) Amarthiel
    3) Mordrambor

Mordirith was a great antagonist in the first volume, and Mordrambor who also features on my list is an excellent surrogate while Mordirith is indisposed, but he returns in glory at the end of Book 14. I was initially going to rank this list based on villains who killed my favourite characters - however, Mordrambor is the only killer of key characters here (Tadan, Laerdan). Mordirith is at the top, however, because he dominates the latter half of volume 1 - and his return as Gothmog (who then kills Halbarad) was an inspired choice. Amarthiel, although a hero towards the end, is on this list because of her conflicted nature which makes her more interesting, alongside her backstory.

Honourable mentions: Lheu Brenin gets my hatred, but his end wasn't that impactful, Gorothul is imposing but doesn't actually do much, Mazog is fun but doesn't actually succeed in killing Bori or Broin, Balakhor wasn't built up sufficiently, and I'm yet to pass judgement on the more recent villains from Mordor as their stories are not yet done.

Heroes:
    1) Golodir
    2) Laerdan
    3) Grimbold

Golodir tops this list as a flawed hero who goes out like a boss, but he also represents the Grey Company to some extent here - his epic arc (in duration as well as in scale) places him at the top of this list, but I came close to picking Lothrandir, Radanir or Candaith here. Laerdan is the most interesting hero here, considering his mixed motives throughout volume 1, but he is also a very relatable one. Grimbold was my favourite of the thanes and reeves of Rohan (honourable mentions to Theodred, Ingbert, Elfmar, Gisling, Fastred and Thrymm), but his devotion to Theodred, his survival of both battles of the Isen, the relationship with his wife and his eventual fate at Minas Tirith made him one of the more well rounded heroes that LOTRO has to offer.

I could go on, but I'm sure that I've forgotten lots of characters, and I'm sure you've all got some excellent nominations!
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

Icannot really make a list for both, however I will name Amarthiel/Narmeleth. Such a sad stroy throughout and to this day, by far, the best writing.

I wonder, if Mordirith/Gothmog will have a similar end like Amarthiel... in the end, he once was one of the good guys... maybe, now that he knows that he can die and when the Ring is destroyed which might mean that he'll die one day anyway, that the "magic" that converted him to Mordirith once slowly vanishes... What I mean is, it might happen, that when we meet him and current Mordors Bosses show up, that they attack him and we actually help him and that then he sacrifices himself FOR Gondor, as the Gondorian King he once was... I wouldn't be that much surprised by such an end for Eärnur.

So maybe, both Mordirith and Amarthiel will once be top in both lists (villain/hero).
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Anführer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

- Aragorn, help me take this mask off...

For once, I want to look upon my great-grand-nephew with my OWN eyes!

Grimbold is my Favorite Hero, and whole his bio is amazing, broken man who lost his prince, abadonned by his friend during second battle, the relationship with wife. Thats all make him unique hero and lead him to glorius end in Pelennor.
    Calegland who was like godfather to Aragorn in my eyes, so sad that he died just at the End. However its so hard to choose between members of the grey Company Corudan, Harlos, Daeverunn, Radannir, Lothrandir and much more.
    Jajax - His whole storyline in gondor was amazing and i hope see him in future in Umbar.

About villians

Lheu Brenin - hate this guy. Just pure hatred
    Lhaerneth because i did seregost too many times and still hear her Voice in my head.
    Earnur aka Moridrith vel Gothmog - that was the best idea to develop Earnur storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgahad View Post
    Grimbold is my Favorite Hero, and whole his bio is amazing, broken man who lost his prince, abadonned by his friend during second battle, the relationship with wife. Thats all make him unique hero and lead him to glorius end in Pelennor.
    Calegland who was like godfather to Aragorn in my eyes, so sad that he died just at the End. However its so hard to choose between members of the grey Company Corudan, Harlos, Daeverunn, Radannir, Lothrandir and much more.
    Jajax - His whole storyline in gondor was amazing and i hope see him in future in Umbar.

About villians

Lheu Brenin - hate this guy. Just pure hatred
    Lhaerneth because i did seregost too many times and still hear her Voice in my head.
    Earnur aka Moridrith vel Gothmog - that was the best idea to develop Earnur storyline.
    Yeah, it is hard to choose between members of the Grey Company - good shout with Jajax too!
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

Best Villain : Mistress of Pestilence.

Why ?

Corrupted , ancient ( maybe older than Dark Lord version of Sauron ) , ugly , epic name , extremely mysterious and something new compared to the books/movies.
    The nameless were such a lovely concept , perhaps we'll see more ? Grey mountains , dwarf greed , dug too deep and all that ?

"You come here and you wish to destroy that which you do not understand."

The girl of my dreams.

Best Hero : Tom bombadil. ( he counts right ? )

Why ?

Ancient , the extreme mystery surrounding him , the theories of what he is , the Lotro music related to him , his cheerful and kind mood , the memories of myself getting lost trying to find him in SoA unmapped Old Forest , his great power that you never know when he will put to use.

"Hey dol merry dol wither are you going?"

It's just the perfect combination.

PS. As you can see , i like mystery ^^