We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Wish I would have known (help for newbie)

    Hi there, I'm a newcomer to this game, playing with my wife together (Champion (Historian) and Lore-master (Tinker) combo). We really have been enjoying our time so far in LOTRO. We bought the tortoise and are slowly leveling up so far (level 26), trying to get in as much as possible. I also just convinced my wife to subscribe, so we are both subscribers now.

    I've been playing several other MMORPGs over the years, and understand the basics. That said, there are a lot of different systems (skirmishes, epic battles, legendaries etc.) with corresponding currencies in LOTRO. My wife is totally new to the genre.

    So my question is, is there anything we really should do while leveling up, to not extend the unavoidable end-game grind?

    For example, we have been doing deeds so far, kept up with reputations of the factions we have encountered, and are also doing some Skirmishes. But the Epic Battles looked pretty boring to me in the intro, so we haven't done a single one. We also haven't done any World Instances so far, as I think we haven't found one which we can do as a duo so far. I also just found out that we already can join a crafting guild. Most of the time we focus on questing, deeds, and crafting (although it seems I can't get enough metal to really keep up to date as a weapon smith, scholar and jewelry are not a problem).

    I'm not worried that we do something a bit wrong, that is part of the fun. But on the other hand, it would be really bad to find out that all the Marks & Medallions we've spent on various soldiers and cosmetics are needed to upgrade legendaries latter or something on that scale.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithanar View Post
    So my question is, is there anything we really should do while leveling up, to not extend the unavoidable end-game grind?
    In practice, no. The only things you can take with you from lower levels to your level capped toons are trait points and virtues (from deeds). While leveling new toons, I have usually tried to do two things: (1) quest deeds that grant virtues I am interested in, and (2) epic/quest lines granting trait points. You can very well do them later as well, but at least quest deeds are bit more bearable on level, when they grant XP, too. They may be very, very boring to do with capped toon. Slayer and especially exploration deeds are easier to do with capped toon. Well, it does not hurt to kill everything on sight when you go forward, if it counts for a slayer deed, so that you have little less mobs to kill later, but no need to concentrate on that.

    All the other things you don't need to take care about. You gain only a fraction of skirmish marks per run at lower levels compared running them at cap. Close all other currencies are "regional", and you don't need currencies from lower level areas at cap. All the gears you can get, will be trashed eventually.
    Laurelin freeps: Tamien (R8 Warden) - Tanie (R9 Champion) - Tamieth (Hunter) - Tamia (Minstrel) - Challenger of Gothmog
    Laurelin extras: Tamyah (Baby Captain) - Netta (Baby Lore-master) - Yasmint (Cook)
    Laurelin creeps: Tamratz (R9 Warg) - Tambash (R8 Blackarrow)

  3. #3
    Thanks a lot, great to know!

    Then we have been doing alright so far. We have even done all the slayer deeds so far, but yeah at some point that might change, there are more interesting things to do.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    130
    If you want to be mostly self sufficient on crafting, you need to seriously consider the professions layout. You need guild standing for Legendaries and certain other better items and you need ability to gather resources. That generally means ability to harvest ore and wood nodes. Scholar materials drop in abundance from humanoid mobs. You might need to to create some crafting alts.

    Suggestions:
    Make Champ an Explorer. (Tailor guild) Harvest and process metals/wood/hides and craft armor for LM, cloaks, Legendary bridles.
    Leave LM as Historian (Scholar guild). Harvest scholar nodes, make crafting and battle lore scrolls, dyes, potions, pocket items, LM legendary tomes. Also being weaponsmith can make off-hand weapons.
    Alt: Woodsman (Woodworker guild): Legendary primary weapons for LM and Champ, ranged for Champ, Horns, fishing rods (if desired)
    Alt: Tinker (Jeweler guild) Various jewellery, hope tokens, Champ Legendary runes.
    Alt: Armorer (Metalsmith guild) Armor for Champ, tools for all others.

    Start on crafting guilds early to lessen the grind.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,849
    Get Kindred rep with the Eglain. For non-hunters and wardens, it's handy to have an extra travel port that's only a quick stable ride away from Bree and Rivendell.

    I don't focus on finishing slayer deeds until I'm ready to abandon an area more or less permanently (excluding travel hub usage).
    Sometimes it's worth using a scroll to 2x your slayer deed kills unless you find a good spawn area.
    "You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81



  6. #6
    I wouldn't worry about LIs just yet, there will come a time later on to despair about that particular grind.

    Don't know if you're using task boards - it's good to have all 10 free task slots opened, takes time but can be very handy for longer, multi-tier reps. (You open them by finishing specific deeds or via LP)

    Crafting distribution and guild grind have already been mentioned here and since you've played other MMOs, you already know it but it's generally good to check things like rep NPCs in new areas early on since they often have Return skills for barter.

    Or quest rewards/hobbit presents - to see what's unique, like cosmetics or rare items and what's worth keeping for later like stat-tomes.
    Last edited by kudurru1; Aug 06 2018 at 08:51 PM.
    Roaming Gladden since 2013

  7. #7
    Thanks all!

    My Champ was an explorer, but I changed him early on. But, yup, my first alt be an explorer. We don't plan to be 100% sufficient, as we won't likely do that many alts.

    On our way to get Kindred rep with the Eglain. We are already using the one to Bree and I can see that we could easily need another one nearby.
    Slayer deeds. That's really good advice. I made the mistake with the first wolf and goblin slayer deeds in Ered Luin, and then found out that I had to kill a lot more anyway.

    I haven't used task slots so far, thanks, I'll look into those! I kept all the the stats tomes, yup.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    5,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithanar View Post
    Thanks all!

    My Champ was an explorer, but I changed him early on. But, yup, my first alt be an explorer. We don't plan to be 100% sufficient, as we won't likely do that many alts.

    On our way to get Kindred rep with the Eglain. We are already using the one to Bree and I can see that we could easily need another one nearby.
    Slayer deeds. That's really good advice. I made the mistake with the first wolf and goblin slayer deeds in Ered Luin, and then found out that I had to kill a lot more anyway.

    I haven't used task slots so far, thanks, I'll look into those! I kept all the the stats tomes, yup.
    You can easily maintain an Explorer alt that never quests and does all your tailor crafting. Your active characters are going to accumulate a ton of hides (in self-defense). Pass those to the Explorer alt and turn them into leather then light & medium armor.

    Same thing for a Yeoman alt. Farming and Cooking only need a few gold worth of seed money.

    For tasks, do not take a task quest from the bulletin board and then go try to find the 10 items to fullfill it. Much more efficient to go do your regular quests and check at the task board when you return. Take task quests for items you already have and turn them in immediately. Now go vendor the remnants. If you have a stack of 50 leftover, maybe you want to save it for tomorrow so you can turn in 5 tasks before you start questing.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,148
    I wouldn't spend any time (beyond what you spend doing the quests) grinding slayer deeds while leveling up. Much faster to come back later and one-shot the mobs.

    One thing you should do while leveling up is to cosmetically try on (Ctrl+Left-Click) every piece of vendor trash gear that you get from mobs/quests. Even if it doesn't have good stats, you might like the way it looks, and you should save it in a cosmetic outfit or your wardrobe before you get rid of it.
    Last edited by Thurallor; Aug 07 2018 at 11:30 AM.
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval
    Author of plugins: SequenceBars, Reminders, others

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurallor View Post
    I wouldn't spend any time (beyond what you spend doing the quests) grinding slayer deeds while leveling up. Much faster to come back later and one-shot the mobs.

    One thing you should do while leveling up is to cosmetically try on (Ctrl+Left-Click) every piece of vendor trash gear that you get from mobs/quests. Even if it doesn't have good stats, you might like the way it looks, and you should save it in a cosmetic outfit or your wardrobe before you get rid of it.
    Thanks!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    130
    The point of making your main an explorer is about being able to feed resources to all others. You want to be able to harvest those ore and wood nodes in the highest level areas where your main is. In particular, wood nodes yield crit enhance components for tailoring and you definitely want those. You can buy stuff on auction house, but prices there are aimed at old timers with lvl 115 mains and lots of gold. It is your choice, by I pretty much guarantee you'll be kicking yourself later.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by scorrp10 View Post
    The point of making your main an explorer is about being able to feed resources to all others. You want to be able to harvest those ore and wood nodes in the highest level areas where your main is. In particular, wood nodes yield crit enhance components for tailoring and you definitely want those. You can buy stuff on auction house, but prices there are aimed at old timers with lvl 115 mains and lots of gold. It is your choice, by I pretty much guarantee you'll be kicking yourself later.
    Sure, thank you, appreciated, I understand! That was one of the reasons why my main was an Explorer at first. And you are right - I had a look at the auction house, and I pretty much couldn't afford any of those.

    I might change again.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload