We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Best way to hit stat caps

Hi all. I'm just coming back after 2 years away from the game (super disappointed after RoR and HD expansions). Anyway, I've got a 100 guard and he's nowhere near what it sounds like he should be stat-wise. (Edit: He's now at 105 and through Osgiliath.)

I've never been one to grind for raid gear or anything like that, so I'm looking for the best way to get closer to my stat caps pretty much exclusively through solo play.

Right now, I'm still using the Coastal Bulwark gear I got from Dol Amroth and have no good LIs to speak of (a 3rd age 2H LI for DPS and 2nd age belt and hammer for tanking). Jewelry is mostly what I got from EBs in HD.

Stats currently are

27k morale
    6k power
    8.5 crit rateing
    40k phys mastery and tac mastery
    21k resistance
    7k crit defense
    1.2k inc healing
    12.5k phys mit
    15k tac mit

I've seen guides that say morale should be at 90-100k, the mitigations at 77k (cap), etc etc etc. How can I get all that stuff up?

I'm only just now getting gear that can use essences (something new to me, though I have lots in the bank). I'm sure that will help when I get some good gear.

Suggestions on gear (through soloing), LIs/legacies, essences to use, etc would be great. Also, if there's a calculator or spreadsheet out there to help, I'm okay crunching numbers as well.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I've seen Zon's Guard Guide but a lot of this stuff is blank right now . Though I'm not sure if he's going to add gear to get solo or not anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuacgordon View Post
    I've seen guides that say morale should be at 90-100k, the mitigations at 77k (cap), etc etc etc. How can I get all that stuff up?
    With mordor there was a stat inflation, so all of those numbers are at level cap (and the morale you'll want if doing t2c content is 140k+)
    Rimenuir | Fadhroreth | Daechamnir | Rimenswords | Beornemgarth | Rimensneak | Rimenoath | Smicho | Rimentank |
    Arkenstone Server, Meneldor native.
    Rimenbuff and Rimenpew : Landroval

There is a big stat inflation starting at level 106. If you can collect some mathom armor boxes from hobbit presents and open them when you get to 106, and maybe run some epic battles at 106, your gear will immediately improve a lot. Until then, you can craft or buy some 105 essence gear and fill it with essences. You can buy essences that are decent for soloing at the skirmish camp if you find you don't have the right ones.

The stats you've seen mentioned are for the level cap, 115. The level cap will go up to 120 with the next main update. The exact release date is not public yet but it should be within the next few months.

If you are 105 now and you haven't reached Minas Tirith yet, you might want to consider a "Stone of the Tortoise", a pocket item that stops your character from gaining xp (your warsteed and legendary gear will still gain xp, your character will not). You buy the stone from the LOTRO store. Why? You still have four zones before you get to Mordor. The zones are Minas Tirith, Far Anorian, North Ithilien and The Wastes. You could easily hit 115 before starting Mordor, meaning you'll outlevel the content. Being over-level will make the content easier, but where's the fun in that?

You can regear with new level 100 essence armour and jewellery in Minas Tirith and again in North Ithilien. There are vendors near the Minas Tirith main gate that sell armour and jewellery with essence sockets, and you can barter essences there as well, but you will need to collect tokens from quests. Far Anorian will give you some basic essence armour and essences as quest rewards but not much for jewellery. North Ithilien has full sets of 105 essence armour and jewellery and essences, but it's a grindy zone for collecting the tokens needed to barter for the gear and essences. The Wastes has some upgrades to the North Ithilien gear but the full armour sets in The Wastes are mostly raid gear needing special tokens.

Mordor is a significant step up in difficulty compared to The Wastes. The mobs in Mordor are tougher and hit harder. You WILL need to completely regear in Mordor. Apart from the general stat inflation, Mordor has a completely new gear stat, Light of Earendil. There is a general "shadow" debuff for characters in Mordor which the Light of Earendil stat will counter. The deeper you go into Mordor, the stronger the debuff gets and the more LoE you will need. A lot of Mordor quests offer new gear with LoE on it, plus there are several levels of bartered gear (112 and 115) with LoE on it.

In terms of essences/stats before Mordor, for solo landscape content I'd suggest prioritising Morale, Physical Mastery, Physical Mitigation and Critical Rating. Some Tactical Mitigation wouldn't hurt but it's not a priority for solo content. You'll notice that I did not mention Might. If you tend to play sword & shield, maybe some Might due to the bonus to blocking with a shield that Might gives you, but if you generally solo with a 2-hand weapon, Physical Mastery will generally benefit your dps more than Might. Also, there are separate essences specifically for block parry and evade ratings.

In Mordor, I'd also add some Finesse (yeah, Finesse works in the general landscape in Mordor, compared to everywhere else where it's really mostly a raid stat), some Critical Defence and some Incoming Healing. The devs recently changed the Guard class, mostly due to low dps even when traited in red line (and bugs in the programming for guard skills that made some skills not work properly all the time), and guard dps did get a noticeable improvement. As part of these changes we lost the Prey on the Weak self heal but the Catch a Breath and Warrior's Heart/Warrior's Fortitute heals were improved, a lot. Even for soloing some extra incoming healing to make the self heals even more powerful can be useful.

After Mordor is Northern Mirkwood. In terms of stats, once you've got yourself set up in Mordor, just follow the same pattern for Northern Mirkwood, the stat numbers just get a bit bigger. There will be more gear as quest rewards in Northern Mirkwood, plus there are three main hubs for bartering for gear. The first hub is Felegoth, the elves of North Mirk. Their gear is Agility based, plus medium Might armour for Beornings, but they can have some useful Might jewellery for a heavy armour class. The second hub is Dale which has the Will light armour for tactical classes. Not much of interest to a heavy armour class there. The final hub is the dwarves of Erebor/The Lonely Mountain. This is where you'll find the heavy armour you'll want, but it will be the last main hub you get to in terms of the zone's quest progression.

Different people will have opinions on how much of each stat you should have, I won't try to give specific numbers since how I prefer to set my stats may not work for how you prefer to play, but for Mordor/North Mirk landscape soloing my general preferences are Phys Mastery, Morale, Phys Mitigation, Crit Rating, Finesse, Incoming Healing, Crit Defence.

Another detail for Mordor and North Mirk gear (armour and jewellery) is that there are basically two versions of each piece of gear. One version prioritises offensive stats for more dps at the expense of less morale and defence. The other version does the opposite, more morale and defence at the expense of offensive stats. These do not have set bonuses, they are just general pieces of gear with their stats optimised for either offence or defence, and you can mix pieces of the two versions any way you want. I generally solo with a full set of offensive armour and mostly offensive jewellery with mostly essences for offence and a couple of defensive jewellery pieces. I also carry a full set of defensive armour with extra morale and defensive stat essences and a couple of extra pieces of defensive jewellery so I can swap from a lower morale/higher dps setup to a higher morale/lower dps and more defences setup.

Now let's talk about imbued legendary items. I won't go into exactly which legacies to use since that depends on how you trait and prefer to play. If you want to get more out of your imbued LI's, you'll want to collect two items, Anfalas Star-Lit Crystals and Anfalas Scrolls of Empowerment. You'll get a small number of both from epic quests in the next few zones, the rest you'll have to earn or buy yourself. Crystals and scrolls can drop as loot in various group instances. Crystals can also be earned in various seasonal festivals. https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Ite...ar-lit_Crystal

The Yule festival is running right now (I don't know why) but will end soon. The Summer festival will be repeated for approx. 12 days later this month. When the Summer festival was running a few weeks ago I was able to barter 1 crystal every 2 days using festival tokens from solo quests. When the Spring festival was running earlier this year I was able to get a crystal every day.

Scrolls of Empowerment are a much bigger grind but can be earned any time in multiple zones and drop as loot from various group instances.
    https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Ite...of_Empowerment

Based on a current imbued LI cap, a newly imbued LI with 7 legacies needs approx. 200 scrolls to get all the legacies to their current cap. The exact number of scrolls does vary depending on whether the LI is 3rd Age, 2nd Age or 1st Age. 1st Age LI's need fewer scrolls, 3rd Age LI's need the most, but the difference in scrolls is not large. Now multiply 200 by how many imbued LIs you have, and when the character level cap goes up with the next zone expansion, IF the imbued LI cap also goes up, so does the number of scrolls needed to get an imbued LI to it's cap.

Is it necessary to get an imbued LI to it's cap? No, you can get by without grinding for the crystals and scrolls if you don't want to. I'm just letting you know how much of a grind it can be to get all the scrolls needed to max out an imbued LI.

To recap, I'm not giving specific stat numbers because what I prefer to use may not suit how you prefer to play. From where you are now, Osgiliath, if you are comfortable with how you are geared, you could go with quest reward items through Minas Tirith and Far Anorian up to North Ithilien. If you do want to make some changes ASAP, Minas Tirith will be the next stop that will let you do that. North ithilien will be your last chance to make any major changes to your gear before you start Mordor. The Wastes will let you make some adjustments to your gear and stats before Mordor but unless you want to take the time to earn the tokens for the Wastes raid gear, you'll be going into Mordor mostly with whatever gear you finish North Ithilien with. You will need to completely regear in Mordor due to the stat inflation there and the increase in landscape difficulty, but you'll get new gear from quests and from bartering. There is also crafted gear in Mordor but it's mostly for level 115 and most of the 115 bartered gear is better. Once you're comfortable with how you are set up in Mordor, North Mirk is really just more of the same with a bit more of an increase in the stat numbers. We don't know how things will be in the upcoming zone yet.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)

Thanks for the responses, all. I appreciate it.

One detail I forgot to mention in my earlier wall of text. If you use a shield regularly, the recent changes to the guard class included a change to how damage for shield skills is calculated. Shield skills which damage mobs are now calculated on the dps rating of your main hand weapon. The more you can increase the dps of that weapon, the more damage your shield skills will do. If your main hand weapon is an imbued LI, you'll need starlit crystals to increase the weapon dps. If you don't use a shield much, it's not really an issue, but some people playing a guard prefer to run sword & board rather than with a 2-hand weapon.

This change to shield damage also has a hidden flaw. When you are using a shield and a mob disarms your main hand weapon, your shield skills will not work because the shield damage is based on your weapon damage, and when you're disarmed you aren't holding a weapon. Disarms are not a serious problem in Mordor or North Mirk landscape content. They do happen, but not often enough to be a major issue IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by GarethB View Post
    The stats you've seen mentioned are for the level cap, 115. The level cap will go up to 120 with the next main update. The exact release date is not public yet but it should be within the next few months.

If you are 105 now and you haven't reached Minas Tirith yet, you might want to consider a "Stone of the Tortoise", a pocket item that stops your character from gaining xp (your warsteed and legendary gear will still gain xp, your character will not). You buy the stone from the LOTRO store. Why? You still have four zones before you get to Mordor. The zones are Minas Tirith, Far Anorian, North Ithilien and The Wastes. You could easily hit 115 before starting Mordor, meaning you'll outlevel the content. Being over-level will make the content easier, but where's the fun in that?

You can regear with new level 100 essence armour and jewellery in Minas Tirith and again in North Ithilien. There are vendors near the Minas Tirith main gate that sell armour and jewellery with essence sockets, and you can barter essences there as well, but you will need to collect tokens from quests. Far Anorian will give you some basic essence armour and essences as quest rewards but not much for jewellery. North Ithilien has full sets of 105 essence armour and jewellery and essences, but it's a grindy zone for collecting the tokens needed to barter for the gear and essences. The Wastes has some upgrades to the North Ithilien gear but the full armour sets in The Wastes are mostly raid gear needing special tokens.

Mordor is a significant step up in difficulty compared to The Wastes. The mobs in Mordor are tougher and hit harder. You WILL need to completely regear in Mordor. Apart from the general stat inflation, Mordor has a completely new gear stat, Light of Earendil. There is a general "shadow" debuff for characters in Mordor which the Light of Earendil stat will counter. The deeper you go into Mordor, the stronger the debuff gets and the more LoE you will need. A lot of Mordor quests offer new gear with LoE on it, plus there are several levels of bartered gear (112 and 115) with LoE on it.

In terms of essences/stats before Mordor, for solo landscape content I'd suggest prioritising Morale, Physical Mastery, Physical Mitigation and Critical Rating. Some Tactical Mitigation wouldn't hurt but it's not a priority for solo content. You'll notice that I did not mention Might. If you tend to play sword & shield, maybe some Might due to the bonus to blocking with a shield that Might gives you, but if you generally solo with a 2-hand weapon, Physical Mastery will generally benefit your dps more than Might. Also, there are separate essences specifically for block parry and evade ratings.

In Mordor, I'd also add some Finesse (yeah, Finesse works in the general landscape in Mordor, compared to everywhere else where it's really mostly a raid stat), some Critical Defence and some Incoming Healing. The devs recently changed the Guard class, mostly due to low dps even when traited in red line (and bugs in the programming for guard skills that made some skills not work properly all the time), and guard dps did get a noticeable improvement. As part of these changes we lost the Prey on the Weak self heal but the Catch a Breath and Warrior's Heart/Warrior's Fortitute heals were improved, a lot. Even for soloing some extra incoming healing to make the self heals even more powerful can be useful.

After Mordor is Northern Mirkwood. In terms of stats, once you've got yourself set up in Mordor, just follow the same pattern for Northern Mirkwood, the stat numbers just get a bit bigger. There will be more gear as quest rewards in Northern Mirkwood, plus there are three main hubs for bartering for gear. The first hub is Felegoth, the elves of North Mirk. Their gear is Agility based, plus medium Might armour for Beornings, but they can have some useful Might jewellery for a heavy armour class. The second hub is Dale which has the Will light armour for tactical classes. Not much of interest to a heavy armour class there. The final hub is the dwarves of Erebor/The Lonely Mountain. This is where you'll find the heavy armour you'll want, but it will be the last main hub you get to in terms of the zone's quest progression.

Different people will have opinions on how much of each stat you should have, I won't try to give specific numbers since how I prefer to set my stats may not work for how you prefer to play, but for Mordor/North Mirk landscape soloing my general preferences are Phys Mastery, Morale, Phys Mitigation, Crit Rating, Finesse, Incoming Healing, Crit Defence.

Another detail for Mordor and North Mirk gear (armour and jewellery) is that there are basically two versions of each piece of gear. One version prioritises offensive stats for more dps at the expense of less morale and defence. The other version does the opposite, more morale and defence at the expense of offensive stats. These do not have set bonuses, they are just general pieces of gear with their stats optimised for either offence or defence, and you can mix pieces of the two versions any way you want. I generally solo with a full set of offensive armour and mostly offensive jewellery with mostly essences for offence and a couple of defensive jewellery pieces. I also carry a full set of defensive armour with extra morale and defensive stat essences and a couple of extra pieces of defensive jewellery so I can swap from a lower morale/higher dps setup to a higher morale/lower dps and more defences setup.

Now let's talk about imbued legendary items. I won't go into exactly which legacies to use since that depends on how you trait and prefer to play. If you want to get more out of your imbued LI's, you'll want to collect two items, Anfalas Star-Lit Crystals and Anfalas Scrolls of Empowerment. You'll get a small number of both from epic quests in the next few zones, the rest you'll have to earn or buy yourself. Crystals and scrolls can drop as loot in various group instances. Crystals can also be earned in various seasonal festivals. https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Ite...ar-lit_Crystal

The Yule festival is running right now (I don't know why) but will end soon. The Summer festival will be repeated for approx. 12 days later this month. When the Summer festival was running a few weeks ago I was able to barter 1 crystal every 2 days using festival tokens from solo quests. When the Spring festival was running earlier this year I was able to get a crystal every day.

Scrolls of Empowerment are a much bigger grind but can be earned any time in multiple zones and drop as loot from various group instances.
    https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Ite...of_Empowerment

Based on a current imbued LI cap, a newly imbued LI with 7 legacies needs approx. 200 scrolls to get all the legacies to their current cap. The exact number of scrolls does vary depending on whether the LI is 3rd Age, 2nd Age or 1st Age. 1st Age LI's need fewer scrolls, 3rd Age LI's need the most, but the difference in scrolls is not large. Now multiply 200 by how many imbued LIs you have, and when the character level cap goes up with the next zone expansion, IF the imbued LI cap also goes up, so does the number of scrolls needed to get an imbued LI to it's cap.

Is it necessary to get an imbued LI to it's cap? No, you can get by without grinding for the crystals and scrolls if you don't want to. I'm just letting you know how much of a grind it can be to get all the scrolls needed to max out an imbued LI.

To recap, I'm not giving specific stat numbers because what I prefer to use may not suit how you prefer to play. From where you are now, Osgiliath, if you are comfortable with how you are geared, you could go with quest reward items through Minas Tirith and Far Anorian up to North Ithilien. If you do want to make some changes ASAP, Minas Tirith will be the next stop that will let you do that. North ithilien will be your last chance to make any major changes to your gear before you start Mordor. The Wastes will let you make some adjustments to your gear and stats before Mordor but unless you want to take the time to earn the tokens for the Wastes raid gear, you'll be going into Mordor mostly with whatever gear you finish North Ithilien with. You will need to completely regear in Mordor due to the stat inflation there and the increase in landscape difficulty, but you'll get new gear from quests and from bartering. There is also crafted gear in Mordor but it's mostly for level 115 and most of the 115 bartered gear is better. Once you're comfortable with how you are set up in Mordor, North Mirk is really just more of the same with a bit more of an increase in the stat numbers. We don't know how things will be in the upcoming zone yet.
    Your detailed info is amazing & vey helpful. I am also running a guardian (lvl 114) and will need heavy armour soon. I thought all vendors in a area had the same items. I'll have to check dwarves of Erebor. Thanks for taking the time and writing this reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Woldo View Post
    Your detailed info is amazing & vey helpful. I am also running a guardian (lvl 114) and will need heavy armour soon. I thought all vendors in a area had the same items. I'll have to check dwarves of Erebor. Thanks for taking the time and writing this reply.
    For North Mirk, Felegoth has the medium armour and jewellery related to medium armour classes, Dale has the light armour and related jewellery, Erebor has the heavy armour and related jewellery. Since beornings are a might based medium armour class, Felegoth has some options for might jewellery but no heavy armour. The stats on the Felegoth might jewellery are a little different to the Erebor might jewellery, so it's worth checking both to see which ones will suit your stat build better.

The Erebor quest hub is also the dwarf allegiance hall for Mordor, so if you work on rep for the dwarf allegiance hall, you get a port skill with a 5 min cooldown for Erebor before getting to it through the North Mirk landscape quest progression, and Erebor has a free fast horse NPC back to Mordor.

You have to be a minimum of lvl 110 and talk to Eomer at the Udun Foothold camp in Mordor to start the allegiance halls.

Another detail, shields in Mordor. There are no crafted shield recipes for Mordor or North Mirk, and I haven't found any bartered shields in North Mirk. There are a small number of quest reward shields in Mordor. They're ok but not great. There is one camp in Mordor that has bartered shields, at the Ruins of Dingarth. About 100 meters north-west of the Dingarth stable master is a group of barter NPC's that have all the Mordor raid armour and jewellery. In this group of NPC's is one called the "Master of Mordor Lore - Gorgoroth Rewards Vendor". He has the bartered shields. All of the shields need to be bartered with Mordor Ash, and some of the shields and other gear he has are locked behind deeds, but his basic shields are better than the quest reward shields available in Morodr and do not require a deed, just level 115.
    https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mas...r)_Barter_List

The wiki page is incomplete, not all the items on that page show their stats, but as I said, even the basic shields from this NPC are better than the few shield choices you get from quest rewards in Mordor.

Time to update this. SSG have developed a new system for scaling stats based on your xp level.
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...alance-Changes

Compared to my other posts in this thread, the most obvious change with the new stat scaling system is the cap on Physical and Tactical Mastery. The current cap on the live servers is 400%. The cap in the new stat scaling system is 200% with diminishing returns as you get closer to that cap. In the first beta testing round for U23, some players who were already at or close to the 400% cap on the live servers were reporting that they were over 200% in the test with their gear from their live server. Maybe SSG will tweak things to stop that happening, or maybe they will ignore it. They could ignore it because we will be regearing for the new level cap and any over-cap stats we might start the new zone with will be re-scaled by the new gear in that zone. Any over-cap for Phys Mastery will be temporary and only last a few xp levels.

I'll take a look at the new gear and how to build stats, concentrating on bartered/crafted gear that a soloing player can expect to acquire. I haven't run a raid in a long time, I'll leave raid stat details to others and spend my time looking at soloing setups. If I have enough time I'll create a test toon for build 2 on Bullroarer and look at gear progression leading up to the start of the new zone. It's all well and good to talk about what gear you should consider getting when you are at the level cap, but you have to get through the content that's before the level cap first.

I'll update when the next test opens and I've had time to try some things.