We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Game keeps crashing

Having major Crash To Desktop issues with epic story line in Minas Tirith.

Doing epic quests within the city and the game keeps crashing to desktop which makes it take a lot longer. It's bad enough the layout of the city is crazy... but with these crashes it makes it even harder.

System Specs: Intel i5 4670 quad core processor @ 3.4ghz
    Nvdia GTX 660
    8 GB of RAM + 16 GB VRAM
    Windows 10 OS

Not sure what else to put here... but I can run the game with full graphics no problem and the game runs fine in other areas... It just seems like Minas Tirith is bugged in some way.

It's not bugged. Minas Tirith is just so pro the 32-bit client can't provide the memory needed to display the White City in all it's glory.

I'd suggest switching to DX9 in graphics settings and going through all the advanced graphics bit by bit and tweaking them slightly to achieve a nice balance of performance and graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by AjiBuster499 View Post
    It's not bugged. Minas Tirith is just so pro the 32-bit client can't provide the memory needed to display the White City in all it's glory.

I'd suggest switching to DX9 in graphics settings and going through all the advanced graphics bit by bit and tweaking them slightly to achieve a nice balance of performance and graphics.
    Reducing the size of the texture cache may help as well.

I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestion... I have noticed the framerate drops quite a bit for me. Usually I get around 60 fps... but it's been as low as 20 in some areas in Gondor as well as Minas Tirith.

Quote Originally Posted by Anax_Basileus View Post
    I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestion... I have noticed the framerate drops quite a bit for me. Usually I get around 60 fps... but it's been as low as 20 in some areas in Gondor as well as Minas Tirith.
    I am one of the few people who DONT normally crash around MT; I still havent figured out why; raising that texture cache to max is the only way I have managed.

I spent a couple of weeks TRYING to get a crash, dx11, every setting on max - I got the fps down to TWO - but still it wouldnt crash. I have also recorded the game using 3.8GB of RAM, where others say it crashes long before they get anywhere near 3GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    I am one of the few people who DONT normally crash around MT; I still havent figured out why; raising that texture cache to max is the only way I have managed.

I spent a couple of weeks TRYING to get a crash, dx11, every setting on max - I got the fps down to TWO - but still it wouldnt crash. I have also recorded the game using 3.8GB of RAM, where others say it crashes long before they get anywhere near 3GB.
    When I spent half my life in Old Anorien on my Captain I never really crashed, which I assumed was because the game was only needing to load Old Anorien and not any other regions. Usually when I swift from anywhere to Minas Tirith (or vice versa) I crash, but those few weeks I spent in Old Anorien getting the two trait points I only really crashed at the beginning (before I settled down in the 3rd circle so to speak and had to travel to a lot of places).

Quote Originally Posted by AjiBuster499 View Post
    When I spent half my life in Old Anorien on my Captain I never really crashed, which I assumed was because the game was only needing to load Old Anorien and not any other regions. Usually when I swift from anywhere to Minas Tirith (or vice versa) I crash, but those few weeks I spent in Old Anorien getting the two trait points I only really crashed at the beginning (before I settled down in the 3rd circle so to speak and had to travel to a lot of places).
    I was using my Hunter, and porting in and out, using Stable horses in and out, using fire skills out, War Steed ......... Nothing I did would make it crash.

I do a few things to my Windows OS that arent standard - like disable pagefile; but Hurin has tried doing that on his system and it still crashes; and nothing else seems relevant.

Game Crashing

I am curious as to why the game is getting worse with crashing. I had issues with Minas Tirith, but now, every time there is a reboot or any kind of update it is getting worse. I crash on an average of 20+ times a day now. I am extremely frustrated that SSG is so willing to keep adding content but not willing to fix the issues that STILL remain and getting much much worse. I feel that we as players no longer truly matter only the all mighty dollar.. I get that things cost money. But don't you think that fixing issues instead of adding more content to something ALREADY broken is bad? I stay so frustrated now that I feel no one hears or cares.. when is it going to get fixed? I don't mean these little patches either.. a REAL fix
    Rein~

Quote Originally Posted by Aridmuse View Post
    I am curious as to why the game is getting worse with crashing. I had issues with Minas Tirith, but now, every time there is a reboot or any kind of update it is getting worse. I crash on an average of 20+ times a day now. I am extremely frustrated that SSG is so willing to keep adding content but not willing to fix the issues that STILL remain and getting much much worse. I feel that we as players no longer truly matter only the all mighty dollar.. I get that things cost money. But don't you think that fixing issues instead of adding more content to something ALREADY broken is bad? I stay so frustrated now that I feel no one hears or cares.. when is it going to get fixed? I don't mean these little patches either.. a REAL fix
    Is there really no fix for this? I too am crashing 20+ times a day. Almost every single time I load a new character, or enter a load screen period, I find myself at the desktop. It is not just tied to one particular zone for me. My computer is fully capable of running the game on very high graphics settings, but I have it set to very low, and I still can not for the life of me stay connect to the game. Any advice would be appreciated.

A suggestion for you to try, My brother says you should go to C:\Users"your account"\AppData\Local\The Lord of the Rings Online and clear the entire folder of it's contents. It appears there is a bug that keeps lotro launcher loading old crash reports. He says these build up over time and can slow down loading and cause the game to crash more often.

If it helps try following my spreadsheet and video linked within. Lotro Options for best quality, performance and stability I only really needed to use these settings for regions such as Minas Tirith, Pelennor Fields, Osgiliath, etc.. whereas all of the newer areas seem to be much better for stability.