We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Total Loss of Control while Mounted

I didn't have this issue on my hunter, but I started playing the LM recently and got a war steed not long ago.

I got into a mounted fight in Rohan with a large troll outside Cliving and suddenly I had no control over what my mount did. Every skill used caused the mount speed to increase to maximum and also caused my mount to veer sharply towards my target. I would have to hit a skill and slow my mount, change direction, hit a skill, slow the mount, change direction.
    If I got to close to my target I lost all control. My mount was running at max speed (unless I double tapped S to stop), orbiting tightly around my target and I could not steer away or change direction. Add in the above issues and every time I used a skill it just got worse until I died, several times.

What is causing this?

Like I said, I had no issues when I ran the hunter through the exact same fight a few weeks back, my LM seems cursed...

Thanks. LR
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000151fac/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I haven't seen something quite like that myself, and I have a question. What operating system are you using? What I'm about to describe applies to MS Windows and may not apply to non-Windows OS's.

There is a "feature" in various versions of MS Windows called "sticky keys". It's a function that works similar to having the caps lock on, except it can also apply to the alt and ctrl keys, interpreting every key press as being alt-whatever or ctrl-whatever or shift-whatever.

Once in a while I will not be able to control my toon properly, or the camera controls (which are mapped to the number pad) go haywire. Sometimes only certain skills will work properly and the other skills won't, or I lose control of the camera view angle and will be stuck looking at my toon from an angle that is not convenient. Things like that.

Something inside the lotro client is causing the Windows sticky keys function to turn on, which then causes windows to send keypress messages as alt-whatever, ctrl-whatever, etc, instead of the correct keypresses. The way I get control back is to alt-tab out of the client to the windows desktop, then press the shift key multiple times in a row until I get a popup window asking if I want to turn on sticky keys. I select NO then alt-tab back to the lotro client and normally the controls are OK again.

There are a few rare times when I cannot control my toon or the camera angle properly and I cannot alt-tab out of the client to the windows desktop, I'm stuck in the client. In that case, I press the shift key multiple times to trigger the windows popup, then alt-tab until I can see the popup message, select NO and return to the client.

This has been happening to me for years. Sometimes it can be several months between this happening, and sometimes it can happen several times in the same day. It's really inconvenient when it happens mid-fight but most of the time it happens when I'm just travelling around. I haven't been able to identify if there is some common event that can be seen on the screen when this starts happening.

I don't play an LM so I don't know what skills an LM has while riding a warsteed, but I suspect that your lotro client was receiving keypress messages that make your LM try to use some sort of close range melee skill while mounted (if LM's have a skill like that while mounted) so the client moved you close enough to the selected target to allow that skill to work. Another possibility is that there is a command in the lotro client called "/follow" where you select a target, then use the /follow command and you will move close to the target and follow it wherever it moves. This skill can be mapped to a skillbar slot. If you have /follow mapped to a skillbar slot for your warsteed, something may have caused your client to try to perform that command.

If this isn't the answer for your problem, I don't know what is, but I have had the lotro client behave strangely for me for years. Forcing the sticky keys popup and answering NO to the popup normally clears the improperly working controls back to normal for me.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)

From wiki:

Options/Combat Options window:
    Enable movement assistance in combat: "Provides assistance with moving while in combat turning to or following your selection based on the skills you execute."
    A Personal Preference Option. Some folks like this, some don't. It can be annoying, it can be helpful. Try it and see if it suits you.
    Check if it isn´t an issue with your LM.
    Ich bin kein Deutscher, sorry für Grammatik
    Eglish isn't my native language, sorry for mistakes

LMs do have a skill that sends you towards the targeted foe at full speed, and another that forces the targeted foe to ride alongside you; if you try to use both skills at the same time, I could see this being the outcome.

Another issue, with all classes, is momentary loss of server connection; your character will suddenly refuse to take new instructions, and keep carrying out the instruction it has when the connection was lost. Sometimes this lasts for a few seconds, sometimes the only fix is to exit the game and restart. For me, the most common example is the sudden running/riding in tight circles; it is as if the connection break resembles a "turn left/right" command to the PC side client.

ZoneAlarm seems to be prone to causing this, switching to another firewall and it almost completely stopped; whereas before it would happen multiple times per hour, now it happens a couple of times per month.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone_Rath View Post
    I didn't have this issue on my hunter, but I started playing the LM recently and got a war steed not long ago.

I got into a mounted fight in Rohan with a large troll outside Cliving and suddenly I had no control over what my mount did. Every skill used caused the mount speed to increase to maximum and also caused my mount to veer sharply towards my target. I would have to hit a skill and slow my mount, change direction, hit a skill, slow the mount, change direction.
    If I got to close to my target I lost all control. My mount was running at max speed (unless I double tapped S to stop), orbiting tightly around my target and I could not steer away or change direction. Add in the above issues and every time I used a skill it just got worse until I died, several times.

What is causing this?

Like I said, I had no issues when I ran the hunter through the exact same fight a few weeks back, my LM seems cursed...

Thanks. LR
    Could it be due to pressing a X key accidentally? It causes your selected target to center on screen and rotates screen around your target, really annoying. Has this happened multiple times on your warsteed or only that once?

To untoggle that camera-lock on target, pressing X again would fix it. If you've previously tinkered with assigning custom keys to different commands in options, it's also worth checking if maybe accidentally the camera-lock command got assigned to another key (not X), which was pressed by accident thus causing screen to rotate around selected target.

I've never had that issue on my LM war-steed, so it's not class-specific but something on client side causing this. There is also a warsteed skill that causes you to move automatically in melee range of your target (I forget its name), maybe pressing it repeatedly by accident caused it? I never use that skill on LM, it seems designed for mounted melee classes only - and I even unslot it to keep my board from getting cluttered.

Things with warsteeds can be confusing when new to mounted combat - but this is definitely something that shouldn't be happening and is not part of game design.
    Also make sure that in game options, you check the option to "auto stop" your warsteed - then it will stop more naturally when you stop controlling it.

Yes, as per above post, were you (accidentally) using the Spur On skill - https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Spur_On

It's a toggle skill and will auto-move your mount towards the target when you use an offensive skill. Though it should, if I'm reading correctly, turn itself off after the offensive skill is executed. (I never use it myself, so I could be wrong there.)
    Last edited by Altair6; Jul 30 2018 at 02:09 PM.

I love my war steed, and use it constantly. As mentioned earlier, 'War-steed auto-slow' being checked is very important for easy control. You can feather the speed and stop by tapping the forward keys. Great for maneuvering around trees, mobs, etc.

I have a problem in combat where my mount seems to gets stuck running in tight circles. This is actually the camera turning constantly not the steed. Doesn't matter which way the mob is, it just keeps turning and I can't find the mob eventually. But my character will do this also. If the circle is turning left or right - I press the left and right arrow (or whatever turn left keys you use) over and over and it will stops and centers again.

I'll also get a up/down rotating thing going on (which is a bit nauseating lol!) or camera changing to overhead view only. Same thing, press the up/down keys repeatedly until it stops.

I think it must be something to do with keyboard but never figured it out yet. At least I can stop it quickly spamming the right directional keys.

Don't know if either of these are your issue, sounds like the skill mentioned might be the cause for you, but thought I'd mention it.

That sounds like you turned on camera auto-focus. Hit X and it should go back to normal. Though I don't think I've seen that shift you to overhead view, so I may be wrong.