We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Ways to increase War Chant damage

Because this is such an important skill for Guardians in the aggro aspect of tanking, and the recent nerf to its damage,
    I am looking for all available ways to increase its damage.

So far I have discovered the following:

1. Light damage legacy. (although it is supposed to increase it by 58.4%, I observed only about 20% increase)

2. Shield damage legacy.

3. Strong bursts traiting in yellow line.
    Although supposed to give 20% increase, I measured it at 7%

4. Shining Armor Abyss 4 piece set bonus. It is supposed to give an additional 10% to strong bursts AoE bonus.
    Has anyone tried this?
    How much extra damage do you get?
    Is it 10% of the bonus (which would be 0.7% of total damage), or 10% of your total damage added to the bonus?

I don't want to spend 10k ash and find out that it only gives 0.7%.

5. Physical mastery. This is the most obvious way, yet for a tanking guardian, I don't want to be spending essence slots on this if I can avoid it.

If there are other ways I haven't listed, please contribute.
    Considering this is such an important subject for Guardians, I'm surprised that there aren't any threads on it.

real percentages being much smaller than what traits/legacies state is a result of additive stacking. Sadly, thats the same issue everywhere in lotro.
    I'd like to see it gone, as multiplicative stacking is much simpler to understand, as everything you see is real... but its unlikely to get that change as late as we are in the games life.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Gründer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

Yeah multiplicative would be much easier to calculate the win, but then we need a New balance of the enemies. We would Do douple to triple dmg Minimum a few skills evenn much higher

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfy View Post
    Because this is such an important skill for Guardians in the aggro aspect of tanking, and the recent nerf to its damage,
    I am looking for all available ways to increase its damage.
    It's nerf was warranted, 20m radius, 8 targets, instantly used. It dealing 20-25k light damage was way too high in tank spec, right now it's fine.
    But very well....let's get to it.

1. Light damage legacy. (although it is supposed to increase it by 58.4%, I observed only about 20% increase)
    Because you're doing the math wrong.
    It doesn't increase multiplicatively but additively. Don't think anyone of the legacies add up multiplying damages, otherwise things would get out of hand, very quickly.

2. Shield damage legacy.
    It's weird how a skill which you don't even need a shield for benefits from a shield damage legacy. Similar thing with Hammer Down....but yeah, it does increase, same as I listed above.

3. Strong bursts traiting in yellow line.
    Although supposed to give 20% increase, I measured it at 7%
    Again, additive, not multiplicative. It takes the base damage and mods it from there, adding on top. The bonus is greater the more mastery you have, which is why a very high physical mastery Guardians with proper traits and gear can hit with War-chant like trucks.

4. Shining Armor Abyss 4 piece set bonus. It is supposed to give an additional 10% to strong bursts AoE bonus.
    Has anyone tried this?
    Is it 10% of the bonus (which would be 0.7% of total damage), or 10% of your total damage added to the bonus?
    It just adds a 10% on top of Strong Bursts (regardless of rank which you have). And again, additive, not multiplicative.

I don't want to spend 10k ash and find out that it only gives 0.7%.
    Neither did I, but it's the best thing we have, given the alternatives.

5. Physical mastery. This is the most obvious way, yet for a tanking guardian, I don't want to be spending essence slots on this if I can avoid it.
    My own gear pushes me to 109k mastery unbuffed. Decent amount I would say, and I have posted War-chant's damage in another thread, but I'll link it here

If there are other ways I haven't listed, please contribute.
    Considering this is such an important subject for Guardians, I'm surprised that there aren't any threads on it.
    Because people know how math works and all knowledge on how to scale up War-chant is already being used.
    Oh, and here's a nice short summary of additive vs multiplicative relationships

Has anyone tried this?
    I don't want to know what that means ^^
    But in your defence , its a silly set bonus.
    It adds another 10% damage on your aoe skills , that's it.
    Like everything else you described , the damage is additive , so it's not really 10%. ( classic rule in Lotro )
    I believe it also works when you don't trait strong bursts at all. Did some hasted testing on it , so could be wrong.
    If thats the case , it's prolly buggy.
    Cba to login to test again sorry : P
    Maybe in U23 ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Oelle View Post
    real percentages being much smaller than what traits/legacies state is a result of additive stacking. Sadly, thats the same issue everywhere in lotro.
    I'd like to see it gone, as multiplicative stacking is much simpler to understand, as everything you see is real... but its unlikely to get that change as late as we are in the games life.
    Yes , i believe the only exception is hope buff ^^

Stil looking for other ways

Thank you guys for explaining the additive bonus.

Now back to the main point of the thread.

Is there any way I have missed that increases War-Chant damage?
    Or is the 5 point list I made exhaustive?

Is there any way I have missed that increases War-Chant damage?
    Or is the 5 point list I made exhaustive?
    Shield Use rank on the belt used to increase, but sadly that got scrapped.
    So, trait wise, traits that affect WC's damage are Strong Bursts, Heavy Weapons Traiting and Breaks Ranks, but none of them are good to use for any end-game tanking.
    Legacy-wise, Shield Damage, Light Damage and AOE Damage increase it as well.
    Also, War-Chant scales with your main weapon damage now, so getting your LI maxed on Star-Lit crystals helps as well.
    Gear wise, yeah, unless using clickies, Shining [////] of the Abyss set is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Decrepify View Post
    Shield Use rank on the belt used to increase, but sadly that got scrapped.
    So, trait wise, traits that affect WC's damage are Strong Bursts, Heavy Weapons Traiting and Breaks Ranks, but none of them are good to use for any end-game tanking.
    Legacy-wise, Shield Damage, Light Damage and AOE Damage increase it as well.
    Also, War-Chant scales with your main weapon damage now, so getting your LI maxed on Star-Lit crystals helps as well.
    Gear wise, yeah, unless using clickies, Shining [////] of the Abyss set is the way to go.
    Thank you Decrepify.
    I didn't know about the Heavy Weapons being linked.