We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: champ advice.

champ advice.

I am a returning player. If my question is answered elsewhere please direct me, I just did not see an up to date answer.
    I looked up reviews and information about my champ and I am getting the impression champ is not that useful, especially in "endgame". Or at least it is just another source of dps which are in overabundance.

That said all I have seen is old guides and builds. So
    1: is the champ just one more dps?
    2: I have seen a few posts on "chank" a champ tank, that sounds nice; is it a main tank? or is it just some odd build but not really viable, especially in endgame or raids and the like?

3: would it just be better for me to level mu captain or Guardian for higher/endgame groups as they will more likely get invited to said groups and do a better job of supporting (captain) or tanking (guard)?
    I just do not want to keep leveling my champ just to find out oh you are juts dime a dozen and really not essential to any group or be unable to take on harder content without losing 90% of my moral each fight.

The champion is decent in terms of single target dps and number one in terms of AoE dps and thus very useful in terms of group play. I routinely see people asking specifically for a champion when doing group content. However, from my experience, champion is less useful in the current raid and you will most likely only get a spot as a champion if you are part of a raiding kinship.

Champion tanking on the other hand is incredibly frustrating and from my experience, inferior to the more conventional tanking classes such as guardian and captain (in some cases warden as well). However, champions can still tank the vast majority of content in the game, with all being said though, if you want to main a tank don't go with a champion.

thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by fewd View Post
    The champion is decent in terms of single target dps and number one in terms of AoE dps and thus very useful in terms of group play. I routinely see people asking specifically for a champion when doing group content. However, from my experience, champion is less useful in the current raid and you will most likely only get a spot as a champion if you are part of a raiding kinship.

Champion tanking on the other hand is incredibly frustrating and from my experience, inferior to the more conventional tanking classes such as guardian and captain (in some cases warden as well). However, champions can still tank the vast majority of content in the game, with all being said though, if you want to main a tank don't go with a champion.
    This is more or less correct. Concerning dps, champs suffer a bit because although they are the best AoE dps class, there are not many places nowadays where AoE dps is wanted. On top of this, newer instances (IE, runs in the Osgiliath, Minas Tirith, and Mordor instance clusters) tend to be much more punishing of melee classes than ranged classes. Older instances are great for Champs though. Single target is alright, but nothing special. This means typically a PUG will prefer other dps classes (Hunters/Runekeepers), but a good champ can still get the job done and typically is not turned down.

Concerning tanking, I would disagree with some of what fewd said. Champ tanking is in fact inferior to Guards and Cappies in most aspects. And now that Wardens got a ridiculous dps buff, the only thing that we did shine in (dps while tanking), we are being overshadowed in. Despite this though, a chank is capable of tanking pretty much any content that the game has to offer as either a main or off-tank. I can't speak for others, but for myself, tanking on a Champ is just something I enjoy doing because of the challenge. Every other tank class (probably excluding Warden now with dps buffs it was given) is basically a spam-to-win tank with force taunts. Champs are actually capable of building threat and holding agro without using force taunts, which makes it interesting if you ask me. Also, since we have less (or in other words, no) cooldown skills than other tanks, when the feces hit the fan it can be tough to recover. The main reason to play a Chank is because of the challenge though, and because it is fun. If you are looking for the best tank, look elsewhere. If you are looking for a more enjoyable tank (in my opinion), then enjoy your stay.

Sorry for usurping the thread, but I didn't want to spam a new one for this...

Can someone post screenshot of their engame champ equipment - preferably with best gear available? So I can get a starting point idea...
    Galadhad R10 Champion - Laurelin

There will be an Update with a levelup to 120 in a few weeks that will make almost all of the current gear obsolete and will change the values for all stats, but as you asked for it, here is my champions build at 115.

The character stats here are with the 2h sword which I use now because of the skill delay with 2*1h weapons. If this is fixed I will use the 2h sword for yellow singletarget damage, the 1h sword and offhand for pure AoE.

As you can see I normally do not use the raid armour gaunlets, but the gauntlets from the Allegiance Hall, because that is the only gauntlet with 2 essence slots giving me the option for better offensive stats. When needed I can exchange it with raid gauntlets for some additional crit defence instead of mastery which would be way overcapped in a raid situation with the shown build.
    Using a spare necklace with essences of tactical mitigation both mitigations are close to T2 cap.
    Last edited by Schaijian; Oct 05 2018 at 10:14 AM.
    Server Gwaihir - Kinship Nightfalls

Quote Originally Posted by Schaijian View Post
    There will be an Update with a levelup to 120 in a few weeks that will make almost all of the current gear obsolete and will change the values for all stats, but as you asked for it, here is my champions build at 115.

The character stats here are with the 2h sword which I use now because of the skill delay with 2*1h weapons. If this is fixed I will use the 2h sword for yellow singletarget damage, the 1h sword and offhand for pure AoE.

As you can see I normally do not use the raid armour gaunlets, but the gauntlets from the Allegiance Hall, because that is the only gauntlet with 2 essence slots giving me the option for better offensive stats. When needed I can exchange it with raid gauntlets for some additional crit defence instead of mastery which would be way overcapped in a raid situation with the shown build.
    Using a spare necklace with essences of tactical mitigation both mitigations are close to T2 cap.
    Yeah, I realised about the update and lvl cap after I posted, but thank you very much!
    Galadhad R10 Champion - Laurelin