We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

RK in Mordor struggling against wraiths

I was starting to get the hang of questing in Mordor. Wearing mostly Mordor reward gear. Have a rotation that works well most of the time.

And then my RK started facing wraiths. Can't stun or daze them. They dish out more damage than other elites. I can barely beat them with kiting. Is there a good method for defeating extra tough mobs like wraiths in mostly red line with some yellow?
    Last edited by DarthKeryx; Jul 17 2018 at 09:13 PM.
    Ngaemond 115 Cpt | Ngeowyn 115 Wrd | Ngali 115 Ch | Ngorbadoc 115 Hnt | Ngollwydha 115 Brg | Ngoin 115 Min | | Ngori 115 Rk | Ngalwen 110 Cpt | Ngurin 108 Grd | Ngamarie 108 Cpt Arkenstone | Pro tip = How someone behaves in game reflects how s/he behaves in real life.

If you're talking about the wraiths in Barad-Dur, they reflect fire. Double check the buffs/debuffs under the mob's morale bar before you let loose the nukes
    “And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth. And for two and a half thousand years, the ring passed out of all knowledge.”
    ? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

The combination of low mitigations, low BPE, having to stand still to induct and over nerfed damage put the RK in a pretty weak spot at the moment.(probably the weakest for questing etc.) No amount of Group utility will rectify this.

But as long as the raid babies are happy.

My suggestion is team up with a Hunter :P

Quote Originally Posted by Elflord410 View Post
    If you're talking about the wraiths in Barad-Dur, they reflect fire. Double check the buffs/debuffs under the mob's morale bar before you let loose the nukes
    Thanks for the replies. You're right they reflect fire damage as shadow damage. No wonder these fights don't go well. Are there rune-keepers who manage to defeat them?
    Last edited by DarthKeryx; Jul 18 2018 at 07:09 AM.
    Ngaemond 115 Cpt | Ngeowyn 115 Wrd | Ngali 115 Ch | Ngorbadoc 115 Hnt | Ngollwydha 115 Brg | Ngoin 115 Min | | Ngori 115 Rk | Ngalwen 110 Cpt | Ngurin 108 Grd | Ngamarie 108 Cpt Arkenstone | Pro tip = How someone behaves in game reflects how s/he behaves in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthKeryx View Post
    Thanks for the replies. If they reflect fire... no wonder these fights don't go well. Are there rune-keepers who manage to defeat them?
    no issue with lightning traits and legacies and kiting. And doable healing-traited while using frost/lightning skills for damage and healing through their damage. but takes so much time that its annoying.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Gründer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

Quote Originally Posted by Oelle View Post
    no issue with lightning traits and legacies and kiting...
    Danke!

Quick update = Can now take on wraiths (although two at once?). (1) Created a hybrid yellow-red trait tree that includes Hastened Determination (worth sacrificing some yellow). (2) Crafted a couple chisels (was using old level 85 versions). (3) Created a "lightning bag" with 5% lightning damage (work in progress). And to be honest (4) reached level 110 for a little extra. I can now zap zap zap wraiths with just a little kiting and usually finish with about 50% morale.

Addendum = I was doing okay in Talath Urui until the quests where one tries to get the items belonging to Sam and that camp with the diseased food and eggs. My rune-keeper was getting stomped when trying to take on 2-3 mobs. For the first time used ash to barter for some 112 purple gear and... made it. I have been surprised and disappointed by the lack of finesse and critical defense in Mordor reward gear for light classes.
    Last edited by DarthKeryx; Jul 22 2018 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Happychappy View Post
    The combination of low mitigations, low BPE, having to stand still to induct and over nerfed damage put the RK in a pretty weak spot at the moment.(probably the weakest for questing etc.) No amount of Group utility will rectify this.

But as long as the raid babies are happy.

My suggestion is team up with a Hunter :P
    RK damage sucks now comparatively so a lot are not happy with it. I feel bad for leveling RK's and would suggest we all just roll hunters/champs lol

I haven't read all the replies coz I can't be bothered.

Some wraiths reflect certain damage types, mostly these seem to be focuses on phys classes, but they also reflect fire. I generally choose yellow anyway, even though everyone says fire is better (and I think that's only really due to 1 skill, but what do I know). I like stuns and movement, not for kiting so much coz I don't find that works on NPC enemies (works in PVMP because people can't move their characters so quickly, computers cheat though) but by running backwards only you can reduce the amount of times they hit you by a bit. My method for fighting wraiths is pretty simple: take 1 at a time if possible, make preparations before you engage (stack some HoTs, place a rune of restoration if you have, etc.), and then fight like hell against them. Also, don't go for powerful skills, like Epic Conclusion. Sure, if it crits or devs then it can deal a hell of a lot of dmg, but regardless of what it does it will steal all your dmg increasing attunement and buffs and what it does in a second 2 or 3 skills can do with instant dmg and no cooldown.

There are 4 skills I mainly use: Ceaseless Argument, Writ of Lightning, Scribe's Spark, and Essence of Storm, these have short or no cooldowns, are instant, and although they're not the highest dmging skills they really pack a punch. So I'm looking at my RK now with no attunement just to give you an idea. I'm lvl 112:

Epic conclusion at base deals about 6-8k, plus let's pretend 25% from attunement and buffs, I have managed to get about 80k dmg from it with 1 shot. If the target resists, you lose all your attunement which benefits other skills and you have to build it again. If you have Closing Remarks active (which I did when I got the 80k), it will deal +40% dmg, have half cooldown and will cost no power, but still takes attunement.

With those 4 skills: At base they are around 4-6k dmg, 2k lower than the base epic conclusion. All of the 4 skills give attunement rather than take it. The strongest of these 4 is easily the last two, Essence of Storm and Scribe's Spark, but they should also be the least used as they have cooldowns. If you build your attunement to full using only Ceaceless Argument and Writ of Lightning you gain the benefits of attunement plus you give your enemy debuffs including a -15% lightning mit debuff, but we will overlook these as you can have them with Epic Conclusion. The importance comes with the last two skills, particularly Essence. Scribe's Spark gets +2% dmg for each attunement point, at max it therefore has +20% dmg for a skill which has a 3s cooldown and no cost to attunement. This skill can easily enough deal 10-15k dmg. Essence of Storm gains +3% crit chance per attunement, max +30%, PLUS it will deal +100% dmg on crit. A crit with Essence of Storm has reached about 50k for me, but comfortably about 30-40k. If it is resisted, you only need to wait 8s, rather than 15s (assuming you have Closing Remarks active with Epic) plus the attunement build time. WHenever available I recommend busting out a Static Surge which is a realllllllly powerful AoE for a RK, stronger than either of the fire skill AoEs, and if any other mobs join in the fight you should keep Vivid Imagery handy, although its not so powerful it has a nice daze for AoE and gives 3 attunement.

Also don't forget your protective skills: if you place a heal on yourself before the fight and quickly select if with 1 heal attunement you can place a bubble on which will last a little while. You also have an armour skill which is handy. Hope this helps.