We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

How much incoming healing is ideal for Guardian Tanking Abyss T2

I am leading a T2 Abyss raid on my guardian and wanting to optimise my build.
    Currently I have two incoming healing essences which brings me up to about 20%.

Someone suggested having four incoming healing essences.

But for the loss of two vitality essences, leading to a decreased morale pool, is it worth it?

The correct answer will require experience from someone who has experience tanking Abyss T2 on guardian in builds with varying amounts of incoming healing and vitality.

I look forward to hearing of your experiences.

None is needed, morale is still the way to go.

I would use at least 3 if not 4 golden inc heal essences.
    Specially on abyss boss 1 you take a lot of moral dmg where you rather want les max moral.
    It doesn’t matter much if you got 180 or 200l moral but the difference between 10% and 25% inc heal is quite huge.

15% inc healing from just rating is the way to go ( softcap ) , it's like 4 inc healing essences or so. Depends on the essence type.

about 3/4 is softcap yes, but cant say if it's better vs buffertank

maybe try to find a balance in it, but I dont play guard

bigger buffer leaves more time for grp healing, but more inc heal leaves more breathing space for the healer, up 4 u to decide.
    Atleast, thats how I view things, but hey, I play cpt, not guard

Alltair / Zaheer

Quote Originally Posted by Decrepify View Post
    None is needed, morale is still the way to go.
    Thank you,

I will try switching out the incoming healing for Vitality and see if it makes things easier.

I have seen this issue argued and it seems that there is a clear trade-off to be considered and not a one-size-fits-all answer.

The question is, for a given build and fight and healers, should that last essence go to Vitality or Restoration?

A Northern Stronghold Vitality essence is 3715 morale unbuffed. That's a few percent of a typical build. How often would your morale get below that amount? If there is a big hit you need to survive to continue the fight, you need to get above that threshold.

Incoming Healing is going to open the morale valve a little wider. If your healer is gushing morale like a fire hose (as minis did until recently), you don't need it. These days, making every heal a few percent larger can make it so you don't miss the 3715 morale because the heals keep you above threshold.

You can determine this experimentally. If your morale is regularly restored to max but you find yourself dead when the boss crits, you should trade some incoming healing for morale/vitality. If your healer is struggling to keep your morale over 50%, you need more incoming healing.

If you are lucky enough to have nuclear heals, you can just max your morale. Giving up 15k unbuffed morale for 4 Restoration essences would make me more vulnerable to the big hit, so I will be somewhere in the middle. I effectively get one free because of the Man racial passive +5% incoming healing. YMMV.
    Last edited by Michaleo; Jul 21 2018 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Fixed numbers as pointed out by next post
    Michaleo / Nodread / Wrytune / Varmentor Toolmaker
    Landroval www.shadowbanekinship.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michaleo View Post
    I have seen this issue argued and it seems that there is a clear trade-off to be considered and not a one-size-fits-all answer.

The question is, for a given build and fight and healers, should that last essence go to Vitality or Restoration?

A Northern Stronghold Vitality essence is about 6000 morale unbuffed. That's a few percent of a typical build. How often would your morale get below that amount? If there is a big hit you need to survive to continue the fight, you need to get above that threshold.

Incoming Healing is going to open the morale valve a little wider. If your healer is gushing morale like a fire hose (as minis did until recently), you don't need it. These days, making every heal a few percent larger can make it so you don't miss the 6000 morale because the heals keep you above threshold.

You can determine this experimentally. If your morale is regularly restored to max but you find yourself dead when the boss crits, you should trade some incoming healing for morale/vitality. If your healer is struggling to keep your morale over 50%, you need more incoming healing.

If you are lucky enough to have nuclear heals, you can just max your morale. Giving up 24k unbuffed morale for 4 Restoration essences would make me vulnerable to the big hit, so I will be somewhere in the middle. I effectively get one free because of the Man racial passive +5% incoming healing. YMMV.
    Your calculation is a bit off. A northern stronghold essence provides 743 vitality which is 3715 morale. So 4 inc healing essences don't even cost you 15k morale, but boost heals quite alot.
    I was running 2 restoration essences until I recently slotted 2 more. Fun fact: even though I lost some morale, guard's percentage based heals heal for more now as the inc healing bonus makes up for it. That of course doesn't mean it's always better to slot 4 restoration essences, but in my opinion a balanced build should include some.
    Dobb - Hobbit Burglar
    Thar - Dwarf Guardian
    [DE-RP]Belegaer
    R.I.P [DE]Anduin
    Visit my YouTube-Channel!

Quote Originally Posted by dwarfThar View Post
    Your calculation is a bit off. A northern stronghold essence provides 743 vitality which is 3715 morale. So 4 inc healing essences don't even cost you 15k morale, but boost heals quite alot.
    Oops! You're right. My third grade teacher told us to always check our arithmetic. I fixed my post.
    Michaleo / Nodread / Wrytune / Varmentor Toolmaker
    Landroval www.shadowbanekinship.com

CaerArianrhod is offline Rohirrim Scout
    Guardian of Erebrandir's Horseshoe's Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfy View Post
    I am leading a T2 Abyss raid on my guardian and wanting to optimise my build.
    Currently I have two incoming healing essences which brings me up to about 20%.

Someone suggested having four incoming healing essences.

But for the loss of two vitality essences, leading to a decreased morale pool, is it worth it?

The correct answer will require experience from someone who has experience tanking Abyss T2 on guardian in builds with varying amounts of incoming healing and vitality.

I look forward to hearing of your experiences.
    On my guard i have 4 inc. healing essences and a lot of confirmation is coming from minstrels, because my guardian would be so easy to heal.
    A huge morale-pool only is not the best solution, because you have a lot of percentage based morale damage and you can lost a lot of morale very quickly. The minstrel(s) in your raid will thank you, if you don't stress them to the max.
    You can try first with 3 essences, but i felt for myself that with 4 it is a bit easier for me too (inc. healing affect any kind of inc. healing, that mean also Catch a Breath, Thrill of Danger, W's H)
    In my raid i ordered for all thanks (guards and captains) to slot 4 inc. healing essences.