We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Guardian builds and traits

Hello everyone

I recently returned after a very long break and I have a few questions about the current optimal builds for a tanking guardian.

I was comparing the DotF line with the FoS one and I can't find the best place to put the last 10 points in order to get Juggernaut and the 7th set bonus

I put maximum points in Defensive Expertise, Guardian's Ward: Tactics, Guardian's Pledge, Shield Smash, Reversal, Bellow and Follow Through which take me to 25 points in blue. The rest of them seem underwhelming or simply useless. Of course that's according to my recollection of playing a tank a lot of years ago I would really appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Power was not an issue so Tireless Defender is useless, Block and parry responses are always available so Relentless Assault is equally useless, I find no use for Smashing Stab, Improved Shield Spikes seem of minor use, Disorientation also doesn't seem to benefit much, the damage bubble from Stoic is probably too small to matter and Warrior's Fortitude seems OK but it's just 1 point, so please help me choose which of these are worth 10 points?

Also as a side question, is it worth putting the 5 points in Skilled Deflection in the red line or parry rating is not an issue?

Thank you very much

This is what I use.

Quote Originally Posted by DwynGilrain View Post
    I put maximum points in Defensive Expertise, Guardian's Ward: Tactics, Guardian's Pledge, Shield Smash, Reversal, Bellow and Follow Through which take me to 25 points in blue. The rest of them seem underwhelming or simply useless. Of course that's according to my recollection of playing a tank a lot of years ago I would really appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction.
    That's defo a good way to start.
    However , the more gear you get , the more useless guardian's ward tactics will become.
    I have it on rank 1 , but if i use tactical mitigation bow , i don't need that either. And that's with 0 tactical mitigation essences.
    You need 77.5k or so tactical mits.
    Moreover , any minstrel should nowadays always provide an extra 7k+ tactical mits boost as a minimum ( sometimes 14.5k ) , assuming you have one on your group.
    Instead i use B/P event from sting. It's actually useful on bosses.
    If you intend to do AoM t2 it will prove useful , especially on 2nd maybe 3rd boss.
    Keep in mind it's better than it used to be , mostly because of catch a breath being ultra strong.

Also , turn the tables is situational nowadays. Depends on the fight really. On abyss of mordath , i believe there's a grand total of 2 stuns in the whole raid , and that's on 2 trash pulls that most people skip if they have any of the first lock banners........
    It can still be useful for things like CoS,Thrang and older content though.

Power was not an issue so Tireless Defender is useless, Block and parry responses are always available so Relentless Assault is equally useless, I find no use for Smashing Stab, Improved Shield Spikes seem of minor use, Disorientation also doesn't seem to benefit much, the damage bubble from Stoic is probably too small to matter and Warrior's Fortitude seems OK but it's just 1 point, so please help me choose which of these are worth 10 points?
    Tireless Defender is indeed useless , UNLESS you have permanent shield wall on and you don't rotate thrill of danger + catch a breath properly.
    Even then , you still have the power pot though or perhaps a captain/lm.
    For Relentless Assault see above.

Smashing stab is a funny skill really. For the vast majority of guardians , it's indeed useless.
    However , more experienced guardians can put it to good use , for conjuctions that is.
    CJs are useless for their combos nowadays , but the stun is still really strong.
    Specifically , smashing stab can be amazing for 1st boss in AoM and when you want to stop an non-interruptable skill on a trash mob or older scaled bosses.
    The skill itself is easy to use , 1 retaliation and 1 shield swipe will keep it available as a gauranteed CJ for the whole fight. Unless the skill itself gets fully B/P/E'd. -_-
    If it doesn't , i believe you can proc more CJs than yellow burglar.
    So yeah , keep all that in mind.

Shield spikes is optional , but imo it's worth it having it on a swap build for duration and crit chance.
    I actually have 2 builds , 1 for trash and 1 for boss fights.
    My trash build includes shield spikes. I apply them and then switch to boss line sometimes.

Disorientation is only good for you nowadays really. I use it on my trash build because i can , i have ~17% finesse , so when it procs it helps me land shieldsmash,ward,stab etc.
    Again , optional.

Warrior's fortitude is an absolute must-have in all builds.
    As for stoic , it doesn't worth the points , even after the recent boost . Let's just say that ever since the warrior's heart heal legacy scaled that high , it became useless.

Also as a side question, is it worth putting the 5 points in Skilled Deflection in the red line or parry rating is not an issue?
    If you can spare the points sure. I have it rank 2 on my trash build , but i don't have any redirect upgrades traited.
    For my boss build i don't use it. Some boss attacks can't be B/P/E and i need all the points traited on Redirect and its' upgrade.
    Last edited by BotLike; Jul 15 2018 at 02:19 AM.