We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: slavery

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna:

Seems to me that I'm a slave to other free peoples constantly. I'm forever doing their dishes, cleaning up their mess, fetching all their stuff from tons of different places and carrying it all around middle earth for no reason Still . . . I'd rather not become a slaver myself, even if it's a slaver of Sauron's minions
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf_TheOld View Post
    That is called a Bonded Servant. The difference, as a bonded servant you know that it will end at some specific time in the future, a slave never knows that.
    Actually, it sounds more like a Housewife.

The nicest (I don't say most accurate) way of describing what we do for the NPCs is that we're doing them a favour, because it needs to be done and they can't leave their post.

But my husband says, "Since you get a reward for it -- usually, not nearly enough -- you're an underpaid employee."
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post

But my husband says, "Since you get a reward for it -- usually, not nearly enough -- you're an underpaid employee."
    Oh my god, that’s accurate! I’ll never look at a quest giver the same way again!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

I've never felt like a slave or an indentured servant whilst performing menial chores for random quest-givers, such as mucking the stables in Rohan (and, as an aside, can anyone tell me why that is NOT a quest?). The stuff in the dungeons of that place owned by that guy who does that thing where we run around cleaning ick and carrying heavy stuff (trying to void spoilers) is different ... but even then, I feel like a prisoner of war. Last time I checked, a slave cannot decide to reject an assignment. I can always skip a quest.

What the OP describes seems not too different from how Crew Skills work in SWTOR. As I level, I can acquire several "Companions" ... crew members. While I can only use one Companion to help in fights (and, yeah, every class in SWTOR is a "pet" class), I can send several Companions out on crafting "missions" ... to retrieve raw materials or craft items ... at the same time. The higher level a resource or item, the longer the mission takes (e.g., a mission to scrounge up some high level raw materials of a specific type may take 30 minutes or more). When leveling a new crafter, it was not uncommon for me to send all his surplus Companions out to either obtain resources or make stuff to level my crafting skill. The nice part is that the resources gained in this way are unlimited. No nodes to find ... or compete for. No travel. You can sit in your house and spend your day spamming crew skill missions. Or, spend the day questing while repeatedly sending Companions forth to do your bidding. As I do in all MMOs, I have a full cadre of max level crafters in SWTOR. They keep my alts well-equipped. And I cannot recall the last time I harvested a resource node in SWTOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorsock View Post
    What the OP describes seems not too different from how Crew Skills work in SWTOR. As I level, I can acquire several "Companions" ... crew members. While I can only use one Companion to help in fights (and, yeah, every class in SWTOR is a "pet" class), I can send several Companions out on crafting "missions" ... to retrieve raw materials or craft items ... at the same time. The higher level a resource or item, the longer the mission takes (e.g., a mission to scrounge up some high level raw materials of a specific type may take 30 minutes or more). When leveling a new crafter, it was not uncommon for me to send all his surplus Companions out to either obtain resources or make stuff to level my crafting skill. The nice part is that the resources gained in this way are unlimited. No nodes to find ... or compete for. No travel. You can sit in your house and spend your day spamming crew skill missions. Or, spend the day questing while repeatedly sending Companions forth to do your bidding. As I do in all MMOs, I have a full cadre of max level crafters in SWTOR. They keep my alts well-equipped. And I cannot recall the last time I harvested a resource node in SWTOR.
    Something I've had occasion to say over the last eleven-plus years:

Just because [name of other game] does a certain thing is no reason LotRO shouldn't do it too. That is also no reason why it should.

(It used always to be WoW I said that about, but times change.)

Whatever words for the code and mindset of another game, and might conceivably work for the code in LotRO (though I have my doubts) will not necessary work for what SSG calls the Tolkien Ethos. In the world of this game, the Good Guys DO NOT KEEP SLAVES. Full stop. Slave-keeping is a sign of degradation, of a fall from grace into the deep pits of evil, in LotRO ... just as in, come to think of it, the real world.

Addendum: but what about skirmish Soldiers, LM pets, Captains' Heralds or other assistants?

Well, in the real Middle Ages people who had servants* not only paid them and fed them and housed them, and gave them gifts, usually a new set of clothing (or a length of fabric to make it, if your servant was a good needlewoman) at Christmas and other important religious festivals. There seems to be no money with which I can pay my Soldiers so I have to be content with leveling them as I level, so that they will be fit for whatever bettle they next have to fight. My Captain's Archer gets a new set of armour every time I level and can equip the next tier of armour for her. My LM's pets get the best food my Cooks can make (again, a matter of level), and I spend my lower levels pumping all my points into blue line till I get Tutelage of the Brown Wizard and my pet gets an extra three levels above mine. My pets seem to be content: I have a skill called Loyalty whose tooltip begins, "Your pet loves you."

______
    * as distinguished from serfs, who were a whole other matter and I would have to include a couple of pages of history describing how they got to be that way, so I won't.
    Last edited by djheydt; Jul 17 2018 at 01:28 PM.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Something I've had occasion to say over the last eleven-plus years:

Just because [name of other game] does a certain thing is no reason LotRO shouldn't do it too. That is also no reason why it should.

(It used always to be WoW I said that about, but times change.)

Whatever words for the code and mindset of another game, and might conceivably work for the code in LotRO (though I have my doubts) will not necessary work for what SSG calls the Tolkien Ethos. In the world of this game, the Good Guys DO NOT KEEP SLAVES. Full stop. Slave-keeping is a sign of degradation, of a fall from grace into the deep pits of evil, in LotRO ... just as in, come to think of it, the real world.

Addendum: but what about skirmish Soldiers, LM pets, Captains' Heralds or other assistants?

Well, in the real Middle Ages people who had servants* not only paid them and fed them and housed them, and gave them gifts, usually a new set of clothing (or a length of fabric to make it, if your servant was a good needlewoman) at Christmas and other important religious festivals. There seems to be no money with which I can pay my Soldiers so I have to be content with leveling them as I level, so that they will be fit for whatever bettle they next have to fight. My Captain's Archer gets a new set of armour every time I level and can equip the next tier of armour for her. My LM's pets get the best food my Cooks can make (again, a matter of level), and I spend my lower levels pumping all my points into blue line till I get Tutelage of the Brown Wizard and my pet gets an extra three levels above mine. My pets seem to be content: I have a skill called Loyalty whose tooltip begins, "Your pet loves you."

______
    * as distinguished from serfs, who were a whole other matter and I would have to include a couple of pages of history describing how they got to be that way, so I won't.
    To be clear, I never suggested that LOTRO should adopt the SWTOR Crew Skill system. That would entail an overhaul of the entire crafting system. I was simply noting that the OP seemed to describe a system that exists in a game I play.

Also, setting aside those who play Dark-Side Sith characters, SWTOR Companions are not "slaves" ... they are followers. In fact, to fully realize a Companion's skills (both in combat and in crafting), one must cultivate "affection" with the Companion. One does so through conversations with the Companion at predetermined points in your class story, convo choices with NPCs while that Companion is active, and by giving the Companion gifts. In sum, for the basic elements of SWTOR, you and your Companion are stuck with each other, but you have get them to like you before they're much help. In the end-game story content, you have to recruit Companions to join your cause. If you perturb a Companion too much, they may (irretrievably) leave. The SWTOR Companion system is not slavery or serfdom or even servitude. It is fellowship. Which is good, because at level cap in SWTOR, it's the only fellowship you will get (if, like me, you don't raid) ... all the basic content at end game is solo-only.

I concur that Free-People owning slaves is anathema to Middle-earth ethos. The very suggestion must make Tokien's ghost throw up a little in his mouth. BUT ... a system of "companions" who agree to work for a character? Why not? I honestly thought this thread belonged in the Suggestion box ... maybe give all those guards standing around our yards something to do (gather resources).

Quote Originally Posted by Thorsock View Post
    maybe give all those guards standing around our yards something to do (gather resources).
    Automated resource generation that really delivers noteworthy results might not be something that we want. If the results are not noteworthy, noone would use it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2