We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Invasions

Invasions

If anyone has ever played Pirates of the Caribbean Online they would know what I am talking about. But for those that have not, a brief description. A server wide broadcast goes out alerting the players to an impending invasion on an island. Players travel to the location and when the invasion starts, hundreds of mobs spawn in groups on the shores making their way to the center of the island. Towards the end, the boss shows up to make his way to the center, where the players would lose. Oh and yes, there was a lot of lag, but everyone had a LOT of fun.

There are a lot of ways this could be implemented. You could obviously make it an instance people had to join, but something like this is considerably more fun when live. Obviously on live you couldn't have it happen in a place like Bree since you could potentially obstruct someone from getting their level 20 title. But outside of that I think this could really put some life into the game.

Just putting this out there. Since I joined this game nearly a decade ago I thought it was something that would really make this game great.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaztiel View Post
    If anyone has ever played Pirates of the Caribbean Online they would know what I am talking about. But for those that have not, a brief description. A server wide broadcast goes out alerting the players to an impending invasion on an island. Players travel to the location and when the invasion starts, hundreds of mobs spawn in groups on the shores making their way to the center of the island. Towards the end, the boss shows up to make his way to the center, where the players would lose. Oh and yes, there was a lot of lag, but everyone had a LOT of fun.
    I've seen things like this. Mostly in beta, when the devs were deliberately trying to get as many characters fighting (rather, trying to fight) in the same space, in order to see just how much the server could take before it would go down.

It was ... memorable. Frame rates were measured not in frames per second, but in seconds per frame. You would let off an attack and never know whether it connected or not.

Back in Turbine's second game, Asheron's Call 2, they would occasionally get a Tremendous Monouga (twenty feet tall, maybe??) attack a major hub such as Cragstone, and since when it eventually died it would drop all kinds of loot, everybody and his cousin Joe would port in and try to get a piece of it. See above for description of the lag we'd get.

For a beta, it was worth doing, and when the screen went blank, a joyous cry would go up all over North America: "WE BROKE THE SERVER!" because that was what we were supposed to do.

In a live game, not so much.

Believe me: you really, really do not want this.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

LOTRO lags as it is. Heck, just the summer festival at the party tree took a while for me standing there when I arrived from Hobbiton for things to smoothen out.

I’m not against your suggestion at all, I’m just saying I don’t see it being possible from a technogical standpoint.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Back in Turbine's second game, Asheron's Call 2, they would occasionally get a Tremendous Monouga (twenty feet tall, maybe??) attack a major hub such as Cragstone, and since when it eventually died it would drop all kinds of loot, everybody and his cousin Joe would port in and try to get a piece of it. See above for description of the lag we'd get.
    ^^This, so very this... oh lord, the lag we got in Linvak Tukal one time when a horde of Gurogs showed up was beyond epic, the server didn't quite crash but damn, it was a wonder that it kept going

Lag happens and I am not denying it might be difficult to implement. I am just saying that it would be fun as heck. I think it would spice up the game and bring some excitement into it. If it doesn't work you can always turn it off.

Lag happens and I am not denying it might be difficult to implement. I am just saying that it would be fun as heck. I think it would spice up the game and bring some excitement into it. If it doesn't work you can always turn it off.
    Not difficult. Impossible. Bree lags with nothing more than people going back and forth.

What you want is not possible with the current Lord of the Rings Online game.

And that’s just the technological stand point. We’re not even talking all the trouble in trying to make something like this with the risk of not enough interest and ROI(return on investment).
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Outside of Minis Tirith, the lag isn't as bad as you guys are making it out to be. And no, it would not be technologically impossible to implement. There are things they could do to reduce resource load during the invasions, made even more so if the invasion were instanced.

Outside of Minis Tirith, the lag isn't as bad as you guys are making it out to be. And no, it would not be technologically impossible to implement. There are things they could do to reduce resource load during the invasions, made even more so if the invasion were instanced.
    It would absolutely have to be instanced.

The massive lag is not cause by the invasion but by the number of players porting into the area to get a piece of the action. Even if there's no reward they'll come pouring in just for the novelty.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com