We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Elf or High Elf?

Returning player here. I'm considering recreating one of my favorite characters, in part to refamiliarize myself with the game, and in part because the original character kind of lost her intensity in the character model update. The character's backstory is that she's a survivor from Eregion who went mad with grief after her (mumbly mumble) was killed in Sauron's assault (she's a bit more fiery in temperament than the average elf).

She was born to Noldorin parents, so I was considering recreating her as a High Elf, mainly because it's a new thing that I want to check out and it seems to fit. However, my head canon for her originally had her being born in Middle-Earth, not in the West. So what do people think - is her bloodline sufficient to qualify her for High Elfdom, or would she have to be one of the original exiles? I can work with either answer; just trying to line up my head canon with actual canon.

What is "head canon"?

It sounds like you are asking others to weigh in on something that is yours to decide. Why put use of your own imagination in others' hands? Make a choice with the character origin and it leads you to one of the two options. If her parents are Noldor, she is. It's not based on location of birth. The race is just High Elf, not the High Elf Exile.

IMO, if you don't mind spending the 1000LP then High Elf is a fun race to play, particularly the female, as the animations are different enough to be enjoyable.

I did pick up the High Elf race (still had a mess of LP from when I last subbed), but, after some review, I decided it may be better to go with a different character concept for the race. Still trying to figure out what that will be - haven't been hit with a bolt of inspiration yet.

As for the original concept, I'll stick with a "regular" elf of Noldorin descent. I can't quite reconcile the High Elf description with the character idea. Also, hair. Ironically (and, yes, trivially), none of the High Elf hair styles seem to make sense for the character...

In any case, thanks for the input!

I’m thinking:

High elf champion (I don’t have either race or class so far and don’t like the magic type classes - not very lore friendly)

Was a VERY minor apprentice in Feanor’s court during the forging of the Silmarils. DID NOT make one, was just learning the ways of forging the most minor of gems, which would nowadays of course be seen as super powerful...

Witnessed the fall of Thangorodrim and was part of Fingolfin’s force that did not ally with Feanor. After the sinking of Beleriand, he settled in Lindon with Cirdan the Shipwright and his folk.

Naturally would have the tinker profession so he can be a jeweller! Would be one of the few good excuses for using AotV and buying doomfold crafting access; doesn’t seem right having a 3000 year old elf starting at lvl 1...
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

An Elf who was an apprentice during forging of Silmarils would be around 7100-7200 years old as of LotR events...

Quote Originally Posted by scorrp10 View Post
    An Elf who was an apprentice during forging of Silmarils would be around 7100-7200 years old as of LotR events...
    Doesn’t seem right for a 7000 year old elf to start at lvl 1...

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Doesn’t seem right for a 7000 year old elf to start at lvl 1...
    You did spend the last 3000 years in a Morgul-inflicted coma. Your abilities have atrophied some.

As my friend Miuramir put it, "Steve Rogers has nothing on you being told by Elrond 'Things have changed a little since you were last up and about...'"
    Immigrant from the City of Paragon. We are heroes. This is what we do.

Founding member of Mornost Gwend of Gladden. "We shout a lot!"

Ah, haven't actually played the high elf intro yet.

So I'm Bucklir Rogeras in the Third Age? ????

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Ah, haven't actually played the high elf intro yet.

So I'm Bucklir Rogeras in the Third Age? ????
    In that case, my apologies for the spoiler. And yes, that's reasonably succinct.

Suggestion: be sure to put your starter gear in storage when you outlevel it. Some of it is quite nifty looking.
    Immigrant from the City of Paragon. We are heroes. This is what we do.

Founding member of Mornost Gwend of Gladden. "We shout a lot!"

Thanks for the tip!