We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Valar on sale so I bought one

    I saw the Valar on sale for 20% off this morning and impulse decided to buy one. I have a 115, 111, and a 101. Then I have some low 59 - 70 characters. Not really wanting to go all through the content again I did the valar for the 59. I have to say I was impressed with the amount of items received. He has all the armor and jewelry, L.I.'s, even a war steed and mount. I haven't used the tomes yet as I am unsure if I would like to do some of the quests in each area.
    Being instantly transported to Aragorn in the Wastes was a surprise I certainly didn't expect. It was the first time I had been there on any character. Overall I am pretty happy with what I received for what I paid.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,142
    It's great that you're happy with it, but from my experience it just leaves you woefully under-prepared for the content it dumps you in.

    It should at the very least give you some first-age 95 LIs with some legacies in place, gear that you don't immediately unequip with the earlier quest-item replacement you can get your hands on, and enough gold to make your way. I think it gives you like 5g at current?

    The package is pretty poor, SSG are also losing a lot of money by limiting them only to sub-105 players, most people would buy them for the trait-points alone, as that's their single greatest use, the rest is easy.
    #15skills

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethrildar View Post
    The package is pretty poor, SSG are also losing a lot of money by limiting them only to sub-105 players, most people would buy them for the trait-points alone, as that's their single greatest use, the rest is easy.
    Yep! I really wish there was an Aria of the Valar or similar item that was usable at any level. Doesn't have to grant you levels -- just the bonus. Heck, charge me 5-7K LP for that alone and I'll pay it. Aria was a fantastic step forward for Valars -- but there's still issues in the limits of it and how it kind of just plops people down.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,825
    The part I disliked most was the lack of travel abilities, and since none of the epics are completed, you can't technically get from the before to after battle Minas Tirith without going hugely out of your way. And since (up until Mordor, anyway) the last major hub was Dol Amroth, you are kinda screwed if you are wanting to go back and forth frequently without having to pay MC to use the stablemaster's map.
    R5 105 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 115 MNS Fayah/110 LM Siennah/115 HNT Dinenol/110 RK Dhurik
    101 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/61 BUR Dhax/115 WDN Godoric
    R9 115 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by canyouaddcolour View Post
    Yep! I really wish there was an Aria of the Valar or similar item that was usable at any level. Doesn't have to grant you levels -- just the bonus. Heck, charge me 5-7K LP for that alone and I'll pay it. Aria was a fantastic step forward for Valars -- but there's still issues in the limits of it and how it kind of just plops people down.
    you can always pop a valar at lvl 104 (or whatever the max level is) if you really want all the other stuff in it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,590
    With a level 115 and 111 and never having reached the Wastes before now, infers you aren't at the cutting edge and won't likely be in the market for an endgame char, which this doesn't provide you with. Other's will assume they'll be getting a viable 105 char to enter Mordor and will be disappointed, or just disappoint those who find themselves in their T2 fellow.

    Having max level characters able to have vastly differing levels of power makes for inharmonious fellows.

    Mac
    See my Lotro gaming videos:
    Macdui on Youtube.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    East coast
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdui View Post
    With a level 115 and 111 and never having reached the Wastes before now, infers you aren't at the cutting edge and won't likely be in the market for an endgame char, which this doesn't provide you with. Other's will assume they'll be getting a viable 105 char to enter Mordor and will be disappointed, or just disappoint those who find themselves in their T2 fellow.

    Having max level characters able to have vastly differing levels of power makes for inharmonious fellows.

    Mac
    I'm seeing many more requests to be off-anon and inspectable in 115 group calls these days. With so many Valared toons, it is only reasonably so. And none of it has anything to do with "nasty mean endgame elitism" I keep seeing others whine about. Just common sense preference to group with players who've actually played their alts for more than 10 levels and have the evidence to show for it (i.e. gear that takes more than 10 minutes to get).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdui View Post
    With a level 115 and 111 and never having reached the Wastes before now, infers you aren't at the cutting edge and won't likely be in the market for an endgame char, which this doesn't provide you with. Other's will assume they'll be getting a viable 105 char to enter Mordor and will be disappointed, or just disappoint those who find themselves in their T2 fellow.

    Having max level characters able to have vastly differing levels of power makes for inharmonious fellows.

    Mac
    I used the "free" aria I got from the expac to create a second LM. Perhaps already having a max (well, max before Mordor) LM helped me out more than I realize, but as far as completing Mordor goes, I found myself not much more challenged on the boosted LM than I did the LM I manually leveled. That might be a combination of knowing the class, Mordor's stat leap (how fast prior gear becomes obsolete), and the fact that my other LM didn't have terrific LI's anyway so I was already used to a bit of a challenge.

    I think one of the most fun classes I've taken through Mordor (apart from my minstrel) is the warden. LM was definitely fun too, don't get me wrong, but the warden may be one of my favorite non-tactical classes and I never thought I'd say that. Burglar is a lot of fun for me too, but he's still rather low level. Also, some of mine I solo'ed others I duo'ed, so that will be a contributing factor as well.
    R5 105 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 115 MNS Fayah/110 LM Siennah/115 HNT Dinenol/110 RK Dhurik
    101 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/61 BUR Dhax/115 WDN Godoric
    R9 115 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    5,781
    Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMcDermott View Post
    I saw the Valar on sale for 20% off this morning and impulse decided to buy one. I have a 115, 111, and a 101. Then I have some low 59 - 70 characters. Not really wanting to go all through the content again I did the valar for the 59. I have to say I was impressed with the amount of items received. He has all the armor and jewelry, L.I.'s, even a war steed and mount. I haven't used the tomes yet as I am unsure if I would like to do some of the quests in each area.
    Being instantly transported to Aragorn in the Wastes was a surprise I certainly didn't expect. It was the first time I had been there on any character. Overall I am pretty happy with what I received for what I paid.
    You can still do the quests after using the tomes. Only difference is when you get to the end you already have the trait point.

    Note also that one of the tomes is for class skill deeds and not really quests.

    Have fun!
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    You can still do the quests after using the tomes. Only difference is when you get to the end you already have the trait point.

    Note also that one of the tomes is for class skill deeds and not really quests.

    Have fun!
    I did use the class skill tome, just not the other two.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,119
    Having all ten classes at cap (some more than one of at cap), the valar products never interested me. I always saw them as paying, to not play the game. That said, I did get one with my Mordor pack, which I used to create a mule character. I totally agree, the amount of progression was pretty good, however, I'd still never buy one.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdui View Post
    With a level 115 and 111 and never having reached the Wastes before now, infers you aren't at the cutting edge and won't likely be in the market for an endgame char, which this doesn't provide you with. Other's will assume they'll be getting a viable 105 char to enter Mordor and will be disappointed, or just disappoint those who find themselves in their T2 fellow.

    Having max level characters able to have vastly differing levels of power makes for inharmonious fellows.

    Mac
    I am in no hurry for endgame. I haven't bought Mordor and may not until it goes on a really good sale. I only got this Valar as an impulse buy out of curiosity. I like the champ,I just don't play him all that much that is why he was a lvl 59 before the buy. Redundantly going through the same content is losing its appeal.
    I think the trait points, mounts,jewelry, armor, and L.I's is worth the price of admission. What I did have was all piecemeal as I did quests. I understand not everyone thinks this is a good deal to me it was and I am happy.
    I got the stable master in the wastes and I had the stable in Dol Amroth already. Now I can go back and work my way back up to the current book. That will probably take me some time as this champ is at the bottom of the list to play.

  13. #13
    Aria of the Valar Upgrade is good value for money. In fact I wish I could have used it on 105 characters... save doing a lot of stuff they had missed.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload