We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Legendary weapons - are they really worth it?

    I think my first posting in nine years, so pl bear with me. I recently maxed out - literally to the hilt - a First Age Legendary sword. Imbued, it's up to 344 legacy tiers, and pretty well top settings, gems, runes and crafted stuff. I can't see how I can improve it more. After all this I have ended up with max damage of 634 and DPS of 507.3. Compare that with a bog standard Cruel Double Axe of the Doomfold: in both cases the LI achieves only 54% of damage and DPS. Granted the sword has damage modifiers (e.g. +19.2% overwhelm), but for all other Basic Stats, equipping the sword leaves me either on par with the Double Axe, or worse off (between 3% and 6% worse off in fact. The only difference is +15% on incoming heal). I've fought the same enemies with these weapons, and the LI always seems to fare worse. What am I missing?! Many thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Malory2 View Post
    I think my first posting in nine years, so pl bear with me. I recently maxed out - literally to the hilt - a First Age Legendary sword. Imbued, it's up to 344 legacy tiers, and pretty well top settings, gems, runes and crafted stuff. I can't see how I can improve it more. After all this I have ended up with max damage of 634 and DPS of 507.3. Compare that with a bog standard Cruel Double Axe of the Doomfold: in both cases the LI achieves only 54% of damage and DPS. Granted the sword has damage modifiers (e.g. +19.2% overwhelm), but for all other Basic Stats, equipping the sword leaves me either on par with the Double Axe, or worse off (between 3% and 6% worse off in fact. The only difference is +15% on incoming heal). I've fought the same enemies with these weapons, and the LI always seems to fare worse. What am I missing?! Many thanks.
    If your weapon is 344 you have a LONG LONG way to go with it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Malory2 View Post
    I think my first posting in nine years, so pl bear with me. I recently maxed out - literally to the hilt - a First Age Legendary sword. Imbued, it's up to 344 legacy tiers, and pretty well top settings, gems, runes and crafted stuff. I can't see how I can improve it more. After all this I have ended up with max damage of 634 and DPS of 507.3. Compare that with a bog standard Cruel Double Axe of the Doomfold: in both cases the LI achieves only 54% of damage and DPS. Granted the sword has damage modifiers (e.g. +19.2% overwhelm), but for all other Basic Stats, equipping the sword leaves me either on par with the Double Axe, or worse off (between 3% and 6% worse off in fact. The only difference is +15% on incoming heal). I've fought the same enemies with these weapons, and the LI always seems to fare worse. What am I missing?! Many thanks.
    You need to add Anfalas Scrolls of Empowerment to raise the max legacy tiers, then add Item Experience Runes then your LI will be better. You also need to add Anfalas Star-lit Crystals to raise the base damage of the LIs.

    Of course, we don't even know what legacies you decided to use on your weapon. It may be the case that you picked the wrong legacies as well.

  4. #4
    I suspect, that you are missing all that 200 or so Anfalas Scrolls of Empowerment, and a couple of dozens Star-Lit Crystals. Assuming you are 105+, you should have 536 legacy tiers.
    Honestly, I am not sure it is worth to grind all of this, but if you have gold to spare, you can buy them from AH. 2000-4000 gp I think.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    5,816
    If you happen to have a stock of Mithril Coins you can increase the sword's DPS by 1 step for 10 MC instead of 1 Starlit xtal. (I saved up MC won from Gold Hobbit presents for years and then used them for this purpose.) If you max this out your DPS will be 900-1000. Makes a bit of difference.

    You can aslo search the AH for "vanguard rune of striking". The Rare type is reasonably priced and adds another 75 to base weapon damage. The Incomparable type is expensive on the AH and adds a lot more.

    Once you've maxed DPS and added a rune you can tear through Dol Amroth and/or Minas Tirith dailies to earn coin for scrolls of empowerment to improve legacies.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    256
    DPS legacy can go to 53. You unlock extra tiers via Andalas Star-lit crystals. Those drop fairly often in featured instances. Another option is to just marketplace it with mithril coins. Last 5 dps tiers carry the most massive impact, like 20% increase each.
    Regular legacies can go to tier 69 via Anfalas scrolls of empowerment. Again, can grind instances or certain Dol Amroth/Minas Tirith content. NOT worth it to use mithril. Far as AH, depends on server. On crickhollow is like 165gp per 10 scrolls.

    If you mouse over a legacy, it should tell you what is its max at its final tier.

    I.e. Warden's 'Surety of Death DOT' legacy is about 16% extra damage at tier 45, which is where it roughly is after an imbue. But unlocking and filling in to tier 69 takes it almost to 30%. By inspecting your legacies, you can decide which to prioritize. For example, if you got any stat legacies like Might, totally not worth imoroving. I.e. my Agility legacy at 45 is +188. At 69, it will be +239.

  7. #7
    With 53 starlets a 1h is ~885 dps and a 2h is ~1295 dps with LI dps pretty close to the same as non-LI. My guardians 1h axe is in the high 400s for SoE/starlets. The +38% AoE legacy is very nice plus the other 6 add quite a bit, mostly +29.2% for each. So, for straight dps they are the same but the legacies add significantly. Still, the starlets are probably 1200g and buying the SoEs would be around another 4000 or so to build from scratch. That’s why my red guardian still has a 1h and not a new 2h after the revamp.

    Worth it? Maybe, maybe not. Lots of time and/or gold to max out the LI. Probably not needed for pve landscape if you want to squeak by.

  8. #8
    I'd say that correct legacies are the main reason why it makes sense to use LIs. I treat them like another building block for my toons, another way to improve them or get the setup I like - players often have several weapons that they swap if needed.

    And there is a significant difference between maxed out imbued LI and one that isn't there yet, like others have pointed out.

    So in the end it depends on you if/how you will use them as the grind is long and boring.
    Roaming Gladden since 2013

  9. #9

    Great advice thanks!

    A big thank you for all these comments. I should perhaps have added that I'm level 115, FTP and don't have any mithril coins. I'd used up scrolls and crystals to get this far but hadn't realised I could/should keep on building. Using a scroll adds just one tier so, as letsidnod3 said, I have a long way to go. Am currently working the Smiths' and Burgmens' Fellowships in Minith Tirith to earn more scrolls, but as Bakenellan points out, it makes for a very long grind.

    Incidentally I have previously reported an apparent bug re LIs, but I am wondering now if I missed this too. I have an old Third Age LI, superceded by the current First Age one I've been talking about. I want to destroy it, since it is taking up a slot. Apparently I should be able to drag it out of the inventory to destroy. When I try this I get the message "PLEASE ENTER 'OLD EXCALIBUR' INTO THE CONFIRMATION BOX TO DESTROY THIS ITEM'. No matter what I do the item remains in the inventory. It has a padlock against the icon, so that may be why but, if so, I've no idea how to remove it. Is this another blindingly obvious thing this aged player has missed?

    thanks again for prompt and courteous help everyone ...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gallifrey. I need a Jelly Baby.
    Posts
    20,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    If you happen to have a stock of Mithril Coins you can increase the sword's DPS by 1 step for 10 MC instead of 1 Starlit xtal. (I saved up MC won from Gold Hobbit presents for years and then used them for this purpose.) If you max this out your DPS will be 900-1000. Makes a bit of difference.

    You can aslo search the AH for "vanguard rune of striking". The Rare type is reasonably priced and adds another 75 to base weapon damage. The Incomparable type is expensive on the AH and adds a lot more.

    Once you've maxed DPS and added a rune you can tear through Dol Amroth and/or Minas Tirith dailies to earn coin for scrolls of empowerment to improve legacies.
    This is good to know. I’m low on gold and play time but I have a stock pile of MC saved up.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Malory2 View Post
    It has a padlock against the icon, so that may be why but, if so, I've no idea how to remove it. Is this another blindingly obvious thing this aged player has missed?

    thanks again for prompt and courteous help everyone ...
    There's an identical padlock on top of your main bag - click it (the small lock icon will replace your cursor) and click the LI. It will no longer be locked and you should be able to destroy it (or deconstruct it ofc). Don't forget to click on the lock again to exit locking mode!
    Roaming Gladden since 2013

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    5,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Malory2 View Post
    A big thank you for all these comments. I should perhaps have added that I'm level 115, FTP and don't have any mithril coins. I'd used up scrolls and crystals to get this far but hadn't realised I could/should keep on building. Using a scroll adds just one tier so, as letsidnod3 said, I have a long way to go. Am currently working the Smiths' and Burgmens' Fellowships in Minith Tirith to earn more scrolls, but as Bakenellan points out, it makes for a very long grind.

    Incidentally I have previously reported an apparent bug re LIs, but I am wondering now if I missed this too. I have an old Third Age LI, superceded by the current First Age one I've been talking about. I want to destroy it, since it is taking up a slot. Apparently I should be able to drag it out of the inventory to destroy. When I try this I get the message "PLEASE ENTER 'OLD EXCALIBUR' INTO THE CONFIRMATION BOX TO DESTROY THIS ITEM'. No matter what I do the item remains in the inventory. It has a padlock against the icon, so that may be why but, if so, I've no idea how to remove it. Is this another blindingly obvious thing this aged player has missed?

    thanks again for prompt and courteous help everyone ...
    Don't forget you can get Scrolls of Empowerment for both types of Dol Amroth coin. You may have leftover stock in your wallet you can cash right in, or you could knock off a few Western Gondor warbands for 2-3 coins each plus another 1-2 per loot box.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by Malory2 View Post
    Incidentally I have previously reported an apparent bug re LIs, but I am wondering now if I missed this too. I have an old Third Age LI, superceded by the current First Age one I've been talking about. I want to destroy it, since it is taking up a slot. Apparently I should be able to drag it out of the inventory to destroy. When I try this I get the message "PLEASE ENTER 'OLD EXCALIBUR' INTO THE CONFIRMATION BOX TO DESTROY THIS ITEM'. No matter what I do the item remains in the inventory. It has a padlock against the icon, so that may be why but, if so, I've no idea how to remove it. Is this another blindingly obvious thing this aged player has missed?
    Well, if you've already put work in it, don't drag & destroy, deconstruct. Go to the relic master, hit Show Locked, then unlock it, and decon. At least you'll get something out of it.
    Immigrant from the City of Paragon. We are heroes. This is what we do.

    Founding member of Mornost Gwend of Gladden. "We shout a lot!"

  14. #14
    Many thanks kudurru1: I was able to remove the padlock item immediately as a result. Puzzlingly I was still unable to destroy the LI, even after I was invited to enter its name into the box provided. I worked out however that the name assigned had a word in common with an existing LI. As soon as I renamed it, destruction was achieved.

    Thanks also about using currency in wallet to get SoE: had already exhausted that option.

    Incidentally it seems as if destruction of an unwanted imbued LI is the only option: you can neither sell it, nor deconstruct it.

    Thanks again everyone!

  15. #15
    A few more details to be aware of.

    1: You can barter for Anfalas Starlit Crystals at most seasonal festivals.
    The Summer festival will end in a day or two but will be back again in August for a couple of weeks, according to this: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Summer_Festival_2018

    30 summer festival tokens will get you 1 crystal and it's not hard to earn 15+ summer tokens per day, so 1 new crystal every 2 days is not difficult.

    You can get enough crystals to max out your LI's without spending lots of gold in-game or throwing real money at the lotro store, but it will take a while and you will need to pay attention to when each festival is running.

    The number of tokens you need for a crystal is different for each festival. It was 60 tokens for the Spring festival earlier this year but the spring festival quests gave more tokens per quest and some quests could be repeated multiple times per day. Most summer festival quests only give 1 token per quest and most summer festival quests can only be done once per day.

    The crystals earned from festivals are bound to the character that earned them.

    https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Ite...ar-lit_Crystal Here is a list of which types of tokens can be bartered for the crystals, and how many tokens are needed for 1 crystal.

    2: Anfalas scrolls of empowerment. These can also be bartered with tokens from quests. https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Ite...of_Empowerment
    I get my scrolls mostly from Minas Tirith. There are three repeatable instances you can run which give tokens. One is at the far north end of the Players tier in Minas Tirith, one is at Harlond at the south end of the Rammas wall and one is at the North gate of the Rammas wall. 4 tokens is enough for 1 scroll. Each instance gives a different type of token and only Minas Tirith Smiths tokens can be bartered for the scrolls, but the other two types of tokens can be exchanged for Smiths tokens near the Minas Tirith main gate stable. This is also a slow way to collect all the scrolls you need, but you won't have to spend a lot of in-game gold or real cash at the lotro store.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)

  16. #16
    Just another of the million reasons new players don't stay in this game. The grind is ridiculous.

    Shame SSG took what was once a great game, covered it in poop, then smeared more poop on it and has yet to still flush the ####. Just keep putting TP on it to try and cover it up.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    5,816
    Quote Originally Posted by KristyBeast View Post
    Just another of the million reasons new players don't stay in this game. The grind is ridiculous.

    Shame SSG took what was once a great game, covered it in poop, then smeared more poop on it and has yet to still flush the ####. Just keep putting TP on it to try and cover it up.
    Did you mean LP?

    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload