We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    49

    Considering Aria of the Valar Upgrade but will still do the quests. Opinions?

    I'm a lifetime member if that matters and have accumulated about 6,600 TP. I play on and off with my minstrel and is just slowly soloing my way through the main quests, clearing as much of a zone of any quests, and doing the daily skirmishes for the deed. At the moment I am level 81 and working through Limlight Gorge. I am not in a rush to get to the endgame content but kinda want to at least hurry and max out my level, get some level 115 gear via some Mathom-Hunter's Armour chests that I've stored up, and go back to finish up quests and content from the earlier Books that I never finished/started. I am not 100% sure but recall being told at some point there's a new legendary weapon that kinda levels up with you so there's no more concern about having an outdated legendary item? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

    With the current sale I am tempted to buy the Aria of the Valar Upgrade for 2796 TP which will still leave me enough TP to buy the Mordor expansion when it's on sale and other quality-of-life features. I probably will only use the Class Deed Tome as I know I'll never get 10 more usage of Empowered Enlivening Grace but will hold on using the Tome for Rohan's and Gondor's quests. I know questing in the lower levels will be a pushover but I still enjoy the content nonetheless.

    This being all said, are the various freebies that comes with the Aria of the Valar upgrade worthwhile at least? Having not done any dungeons or reputation farming in years my gear is severely out of date and I'm still using a level 72 legendary item. Granted since I'm not doing dungeons and just questing, updated gear probably isn't the much of a necessity for me.

    If I am more concern about reaching the max level so I can finally use my Mathom-Hunter's Armour chests, am I better off just using 2x XP items and grind skirmishes instead of using the Aria of the Valar upgrade?


    Comments and opinions are appreciated,

    Thank you
    "You must gather your party before venturing forth" -Baldur's Gate

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in Middle-earth
    Posts
    673
    If I understood correctly: While you are slowly working solo on quests and without any need for end game you want to be immidiately on the max level. Sort of strange for me because I don´t see any reason in being level 115. You are already 6 levels about Limlight Gorge. If you want to deal more damage, take new LI closer to your level. For better equipment you can visit skirmish camps.

    With your level you should be able to finish epic quests solo. Volume I ends with level 50 and Volume II with level 65, so you outleveled these enough. From Volume III all epic quests are solo.

    Aria of the Valar brings you to only 105, not 115. To reach lvl 115 you need to quest in Mordor (which you don´t have) or through scaled instances.

    The only reasonable level to reach is 100 because on this level you create LI witch is sort of growing with you and you don´t need to switch LI every few levels (if it has all attributes which you wish to have).
    Ich bin kein Deutscher, sorry für Grammatik
    Eglish isn't my native language, sorry for mistakes

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Infestedadam View Post
    I'm a lifetime member if that matters and have accumulated about 6,600 TP. I play on and off with my minstrel and is just slowly soloing my way through the main quests, clearing as much of a zone of any quests, and doing the daily skirmishes for the deed. At the moment I am level 81 and working through Limlight Gorge. I am not in a rush to get to the endgame content but kinda want to at least hurry and max out my level, get some level 115 gear via some Mathom-Hunter's Armour chests that I've stored up, and go back to finish up quests and content from the earlier Books that I never finished/started. I am not 100% sure but recall being told at some point there's a new legendary weapon that kinda levels up with you so there's no more concern about having an outdated legendary item? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

    With the current sale I am tempted to buy the Aria of the Valar Upgrade for 2796 TP which will still leave me enough TP to buy the Mordor expansion when it's on sale and other quality-of-life features. I probably will only use the Class Deed Tome as I know I'll never get 10 more usage of Empowered Enlivening Grace but will hold on using the Tome for Rohan's and Gondor's quests. I know questing in the lower levels will be a pushover but I still enjoy the content nonetheless.

    This being all said, are the various freebies that comes with the Aria of the Valar upgrade worthwhile at least? Having not done any dungeons or reputation farming in years my gear is severely out of date and I'm still using a level 72 legendary item. Granted since I'm not doing dungeons and just questing, updated gear probably isn't the much of a necessity for me.

    If I am more concern about reaching the max level so I can finally use my Mathom-Hunter's Armour chests, am I better off just using 2x XP items and grind skirmishes instead of using the Aria of the Valar upgrade?


    Comments and opinions are appreciated,

    Thank you
    If you really only care about reaching level 115, you will be cheaper off buying some 200% EXP tomes (1x for 300LP or 5x for 1,200LP) and asking a friend to powerlevel you through some Warg Pens. Seeing as you plan to play through all the Rohan and Gondor quests anyway, you're not missing out on much from not getting the Gondor and Rohan tomes. However, this method will not grant you any of the other goodies from the Valar box:

    • Steed of the Citadel -- A Premium mount with matching War-steed cosmetics granted to your character. Normal store price for such a mount is 1,995LP.
    • 25 Mithril Coins (value = 250LP).
    • A set of level 105 armour and jewellery; nothing spectacular, but it's something!
    • Level 105 weapons and/or a shield appropriate to your class.
    • Three Third Age Legendary Item boxes that allow you to select a LI of your choice, includes all Legendary Weapons and Legendary Class Items. Also includes Bridles for Mounted Combat if you care about that.
    • The Class Deed Tome.
    • +8 ranks to every Virtue on your character (value = 2,500LP per virtue, so 20x 2,500LP = 50,000!!). No, that value isn't a typo, the prices for Virtues in the store are just ridiculous. You'll be fine on those if you really complete all the low level content though, since you'll gain plenty of Virtue ranks from that.
    • Some less valuable consumables like Rejuvenation Potions and Dale-men's Cram.
    • Maps to Rivendell, Aldburg and Snowbourn to discover the Stables there if you haven't already.
    • 5 100% XP tomes (store value = 600LP)
    • One Anfalas Star-lit Crystal.


    If you care about them, the extra goodies are worth the price (especially when the pack is on discount). For me, simply the fact this pack means you don't have to grind Epic Battles for Promotion Points just to get those final Trait points makes it worth its price already! Auto-completion of the grindy Old Anórien metadeed is a nice bonus. But even if you simply add up LP values here, the mount + XP tomes + Mithril alone are already worth more than the current lowered price of the package. The value of those Virtue ranks is insane, but that's just because the store prices for them are nuts.

    Important to note: simply using the Aria will NOT prevent you from completing any content! You can go back and play every single quest in the game if you so desire.
    If you consume the Gondor or Rohan tomes, they WILL prevent you from completing the final quests of some areas, but all the other quests in those areas will remain playable.

    As to lvl100+ LI's: once you get a level 100 Legendary Item, you gain the ability to Imbue it. That will transform the weapon into a bottomless pit for Empowerment Scrolls and Star-lit Crystals to rank up, but it also means you don't have to get a new LI ever again once you Imbue. Until you reach Mordor, even a low rank ILI will do just fine. If you want to succeed in Mordor, you'll need to grind Star-lit Crystals. But since there's a LOT of content between level 81 and the beginning of Mordor, that's worries for another time!

    Hope that helped.
    Earbold (Laurelin [EN-RP])
    Member of the Bandits raid alliance
    Original Challenger of Gothmog and the Abyss

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    49
    Thank you for the responses

    Quote Originally Posted by Estelrandir View Post
    If I understood correctly: While you are slowly working solo on quests and without any need for end game you want to be immidiately on the max level. Sort of strange for me because I don´t see any reason in being level 115. You are already 6 levels about Limlight Gorge. If you want to deal more damage, take new LI closer to your level. For better equipment you can visit skirmish camps.

    With your level you should be able to finish epic quests solo. Volume I ends with level 50 and Volume II with level 65, so you outleveled these enough. From Volume III all epic quests are solo.

    Aria of the Valar brings you to only 105, not 115. To reach lvl 115 you need to quest in Mordor (which you don´t have) or through scaled instances.

    The only reasonable level to reach is 100 because on this level you create LI witch is sort of growing with you and you don´t need to switch LI every few levels (if it has all attributes which you wish to have).
    Yea it doesn't quite make sense when I think about it logically. Why rush to the max level if I am not planning to do endgame content and not struggling either in the current zones/content. I think part of me just want to take my time with the current content and finish old content but another part of me want to hit the max level as well but I'm not able to do this because I am dragging my feet trying to fully complete a zone. I kinda had to force myself to leave Dunland early when I was overleveled.

    I think it is just a weird "peace of mind" knowing I'm near/at the max level so that's one item to check off my list so now I can go back to do other stuff I want to do. Plus being a hoarder, I think I want to hurry and use up my runes, Mathom-Hunter's chests, consumables and start working toward the "perfect" LI. If there's still some RNG factor to it though, perhaps I shouldn't rush for that lest I be disappointed. Even in Final Fantasy XIV, I kinda grinded to the max level while taking my sweet time on the main quests. On another note, I think after playing through World of Warcraft: Legion and getting the artifact weapon, I was itching to get the near equivalent for LotRO.

    Quote Originally Posted by B749 View Post
    If you really only care about reaching level 115, you will be cheaper off buying some 200% EXP tomes (1x for 300LP or 5x for 1,200LP) and asking a friend to powerlevel you through some Warg Pens. Seeing as you plan to play through all the Rohan and Gondor quests anyway, you're not missing out on much from not getting the Gondor and Rohan tomes. However, this method will not grant you any of the other goodies from the Valar box:

    If you care about them, the extra goodies are worth the price (especially when the pack is on discount). For me, simply the fact this pack means you don't have to grind Epic Battles for Promotion Points just to get those final Trait points makes it worth its price already! Auto-completion of the grindy Old Anórien metadeed is a nice bonus. But even if you simply add up LP values here, the mount + XP tomes + Mithril alone are already worth more than the current lowered price of the package. The value of those Virtue ranks is insane, but that's just because the store prices for them are nuts.

    Important to note: simply using the Aria will NOT prevent you from completing any content! You can go back and play every single quest in the game if you so desire.
    If you consume the Gondor or Rohan tomes, they WILL prevent you from completing the final quests of some areas, but all the other quests in those areas will remain playable.

    As to lvl100+ LI's: once you get a level 100 Legendary Item, you gain the ability to Imbue it. That will transform the weapon into a bottomless pit for Empowerment Scrolls and Star-lit Crystals to rank up, but it also means you don't have to get a new LI ever again once you Imbue. Until you reach Mordor, even a low rank ILI will do just fine. If you want to succeed in Mordor, you'll need to grind Star-lit Crystals. But since there's a LOT of content between level 81 and the beginning of Mordor, that's worries for another time!

    Hope that helped.
    Thank you for the insight. Unfortunately I do not have anyone to help powerlevel me through Warg Pen so grinding skirmishes or quests is my only practical approach. I didn't think about the individual TP costs of the various items with the Aria of the Valar upgrade. Hell, the Class Deed tome alone seems tempting as the Empowered Livening Grace deed has been an eyesore for me with it just being 10 casts away from completion. I have a love/hate relationship with the completionist in me. Sometimes I feel compelled to fill those bars and deeds and sometimes I am fine with leaving them partially done.
    "You must gather your party before venturing forth" -Baldur's Gate

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    49
    Just took a quick look through Dadi's Guide To Imbuing. Maaaybe I'm better of taking my time leveling and slowly taking in the newer content and save the Aria of the Valar upgrade for the various goodies for when I don't want to grind it out later. I'd hate to start working on an imbued Third Age LI only to not be satisfied with it at level 115 because I rushed too much and wasn't sure with what I was doing. At the very least the goodies that comes with the upgrade still seem worth the TP cost and as far as I know there's no level restrictions on using the upgrade.
    Last edited by Infestedadam; Jul 10 2018 at 12:39 PM.
    "You must gather your party before venturing forth" -Baldur's Gate

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Albany New York
    Posts
    406
    Buy the Mordor boxed Standard Edition.
    It is logical, in view of the times in which we live. But to be logical is not to be right, and nothing on God's earth could ever make it right!
    - Judge Dan Haywood

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Manchester NH USA
    Posts
    215

    mitigations

    let me tell you something way back in the day I purchased act of valar at level 42 to get to 50. I will tell that was a mistake because, just trying to get my alt to recover from that took all the way up to about l 80. Because what happens is these thing screw up your mitigations, and you will have the same mitigations except you will be 115. At least that what happened with me at 50.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by robertman23 View Post
    let me tell you something way back in the day I purchased act of valar at level 42 to get to 50. I will tell that was a mistake because, just trying to get my alt to recover from that took all the way up to about l 80. Because what happens is these thing screw up your mitigations, and you will have the same mitigations except you will be 115. At least that what happened with me at 50.
    Kinda confused by what you meant by this. Upon using the level boost, your character's stats didn't increase according to the level or rather the game mechanics treated you as if you were still at level 42ish so mobs in the 50's, 60's, etc. were hitting you as if you were in the 40's?
    "You must gather your party before venturing forth" -Baldur's Gate

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Manchester NH USA
    Posts
    215

    defense

    yes, they were but as my character progressed I was able to get rid of that through essense gear. Your characters mitigations are dependant on what kind of armour you wear. For example if you are 50 but you, want to be 115 and you gain the level boost if you are still wearing 50 armour than your mitigations will be that of a player that is around l 50. So it will make it easier fo enemies to kill you.
    Last edited by robertman23; Jul 11 2018 at 04:29 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by robertman23 View Post
    yes, they were but as my character progressed I was able to get rid of that through essense gear. Your characters mitigations are dependant on what kind of armour you wear. For example if you are 50 but you, want to be 115 and you gain the level boost if you are still wearing 50 armour than your mitigations will be that of a player that is around l 50. So it will make it easier fo enemies to kill you.
    Valar bundles contain a set of gear appropriate to the level they boost you to. If you then forget to equip that gear, that's on you The mitigations they give are enough unless you plan to jump straight into t2 raids after opening the Valar package, which is a bad idea for several reasons

    The Valar gear is by no means shiny or impressive, but it gets the job done until you get quest rewards or loot drops to replace it. Speaking from experience here
    Earbold (Laurelin [EN-RP])
    Member of the Bandits raid alliance
    Original Challenger of Gothmog and the Abyss

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    68
    To go over all this:
    You are apparently enjoying the content. Valar is for those who want to skip content. Btw, I think retail Mordor box includes one Valar package. Might be the better way. You wanna save those store points for black steel keys and mith coins for crystals.

    Most folks get their virtues by doing deeds. At 81, you can go greystomp in old zones finishing up deeds and buffing up those virtues. You were hoarding those slayer acceleration tomes right?

    105 is far from max. 105-115(soon to be 120 I hear) is a looong process. It will be zero-challenge borefest and until you hit lvl 100+ areas. Xp gain will crawl. Any gear rewards will be useless. Most LI related items (scrolls, crystals) will be useless cause they will be the 80s-90s variety, NOT Anfalas. You definitely can hit 115 pre-Mordor just doing the quest content. Note also that once you hit 106, on-level skirmishes take a sharp difficulty spike and your skirmish soldier quickly goes useless.

    Mathom armor... I never much liked it. Sure, decent boosts to basics but almost no other bonuses. An OK stopgap if you are around 110. But once you hit Mordor, you want LoE, and Mathom has none.

    There is a reason Valar dumps you in the Wastes camp. If you want to do the content before, you likely don't want Valar...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by scorrp10 View Post
    To go over all this:
    You are apparently enjoying the content. Valar is for those who want to skip content. Btw, I think retail Mordor box includes one Valar package. Might be the better way. You wanna save those store points for black steel keys and mith coins for crystals.

    Most folks get their virtues by doing deeds. At 81, you can go greystomp in old zones finishing up deeds and buffing up those virtues. You were hoarding those slayer acceleration tomes right?

    105 is far from max. 105-115(soon to be 120 I hear) is a looong process. It will be zero-challenge borefest and until you hit lvl 100+ areas. Xp gain will crawl. Any gear rewards will be useless. Most LI related items (scrolls, crystals) will be useless cause they will be the 80s-90s variety, NOT Anfalas. You definitely can hit 115 pre-Mordor just doing the quest content. Note also that once you hit 106, on-level skirmishes take a sharp difficulty spike and your skirmish soldier quickly goes useless.

    Mathom armor... I never much liked it. Sure, decent boosts to basics but almost no other bonuses. An OK stopgap if you are around 110. But once you hit Mordor, you want LoE, and Mathom has none.

    There is a reason Valar dumps you in the Wastes camp. If you want to do the content before, you likely don't want Valar...
    Thank you for the additional comments. After some thoughts, probably would be better if I just work on the various quests and level up at the same time cause like you said, I'll probably go bored rolfstomping through these grey quests.

    Thank you for the additional note about skirmishes and Mathom-Hunter's armour. I might as well start using those chests every five or 10 levels and keep leveling my soldier while working my way through Rohan and eventually Gondor.

    As for LI related items, I've been hoarding some but based on what you're saying, is it pointless to hoard them for the imbued LI later? I haven't read Dadi's guide fully but I thought we want to imbued LIs with the passives we want. Should I save my LI consumables to get the "perfect" LI at least before imbuing it?
    "You must gather your party before venturing forth" -Baldur's Gate

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    68
    Mathom: if you get a gold box, it might be worthwhile to hold off till 115 to open it.

    LI: store bought and hobbit present bits are not level restricted. Those obtained via gameplay (quests/instance drops) are. This applies to:
    Star-lit crystals
    Scrolls of Empowerment
    Scrolls of Delving
    Crystals of Rememberance
    Legacy scrolls (only lvl 95+ LI yield legacy scrolls usable on lvl 100 LI)

    IXP runes are any level. Titles are trivial to get past 70ish. Relics can be bartered for faction currencies you will likely not use otherwise. And once you done a bit of Mordor you can get relics there.

    IMHO, Valar is targeted at a very specific customer: someone who fairly recently gone through content and has a capped character, and now wants to boost an alt without slogging through it all again.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in Middle-earth
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by Infestedadam View Post
    As for LI related items, I've been hoarding some but based on what you're saying, is it pointless to hoard them for the imbued LI later? I haven't read Dadi's guide fully but I thought we want to imbued LIs with the passives we want. Should I save my LI consumables to get the "perfect" LI at least before imbuing it?
    You can imbue only lvl 100 LI. Therefore it is not worth to gather and keep LI related items which are not usable on the lvl 100 LI. scorrp10 mentioned which are level restricted and which not.
    Ich bin kein Deutscher, sorry für Grammatik
    Eglish isn't my native language, sorry for mistakes

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload